More potential DNA trouble for the BoM

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

More potential DNA trouble for the BoM

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:23 am

Archaeologists recently extracted the first DNA from ancient Israelite graves.

https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/202 ... 9b21fd0000

Although there is still much analysis to be done, the initial results cause problems for Mormons on two fronts involving both the BoM and the Bible.

One of the last remaining tactics of BoM apologist when confronted with DNA problems is to declare that we can't draw any conclusions because we don't know what ancient Israelite DNA looked like. Well now we do. The Y chromosome and Mitochondrial DNA extracted from a man and a woman from roughly the time of Lehi reveals that Israelites were pretty much genetically homogenous with their Canaanite neighbors. Soon we will have full genome extraction that will provide much more detail. This is a great opportunity for Mormon geneticists to really dig in and find that elusive genetic overlap with Native American DNA. Who knows, maybe this will be the long awaited proof that the Book of Mormon is a real history of American origins. I'm willing to put money on the odds that it will be another disappointment.

The second great disappointment is that this DNA appears to support the hypotheses of archaeologist like Israel Finklestein who believe there was no significant exodus from Egypt, but that the Israelite identity was a culture that arose out of the Canaanite milieu, just like the the other local societies of the region. The Exodus might just be echoes of nomadic stories exaggerated by Israelite storytellers to solidify their theology and to set themselves apart from their neighbors who worshipped basically the same gods under different names.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Re: More potential DNA trouble for the BoM

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:59 pm

I was just thinking about the whole Moses OT narratives this week and wondering how ill supported those stories are with archeological and historical evidence. Thanks for the post!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:03 pm

Apologists need another N-h-m stone, or maybe a Stela 5. ;) :roll:

Or maybe they'll just add "may be among the ancestors of the American Indians" to the BOM intro.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:16 am

deacon blues wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:03 pm
Or maybe they'll just add "may be among the ancestors of the American Indians" to the BOM intro.
or "existed in a parallel reality."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."