"Mormon is a victory for Satan" - good idea or bad?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

"Mormon is a victory for Satan" - good idea or bad?

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:33 pm

I know what Nelson was doing when he told people that it is sinful to use the word "Mormon." Two things: keep members from finding critical information online by making them feel guilty for typing a victory for Satan, and trying to get potential converts to not realize that all this "anti-MORMON" information is about the much-beloved Churchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaints.

How successful was this bit of strategy, and how well was it thought out?

My opinion is that it probably works pretty well to repel a very devout subset of members from church-critical websites and videos. They react to names like Mormon Stories and Mormon Discussions like a vampire to garlic.

But it seems like it has been a complete flop with everyone else. People simply aren't going to stop using a well-known name like Mormon and replace it with a nine-word sentence. Never will. So people curious about the church and people struggling with faith will still keep finding the mountains of critical information while the devout members will continue to be perplexed by how easily their friends and loved ones are deceived and deflected from the truth. Afterall, how hard is it to muster moral strength to just type thechurchofjesuschrist.org instead of Mormon? (BTW, you can still get to the church's site by typing LDS.org. They know even loyal members aren't going to type out the whole thing.)
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Re: "Mormon is a victory for Satan" - good idea or bad?

Post by deacon blues » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:17 pm

I think Pres. Nelson ponderized this thing over and over, from 1995 or so. Being corrected in General Conf. by Pres. Hinckley probably made him ponderize it more. When he was given the "power" to do something about it, it had become ingrained into his psyche, and he was unable to nuance his thoughts and feelings about it. His response was a straight up "Any victory over Russell Nelson is a victory for Satan." :( :o :shock:
But I could be wrong. :?

Is it good for the building of the kingdom- yes and no. :ugeek:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:59 pm

Removing the name Mormon is useful for camouflaging efforts. The name change temporarily removes people's preconceived notions against those blankety-blank Mormons. Just need to hide that Satan book.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:15 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:33 pm
I know what Nelson was doing when he told people that it is sinful to use the word "Mormon." Two things: keep members from finding critical information online by making them feel guilty for typing a victory for Satan, and trying to get potential converts to not realize that all this "anti-MORMON" information is about the much-beloved Churchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaints.

How successful was this bit of strategy, and how well was it thought out?

My opinion is that it probably works pretty well to repel a very devout subset of members from church-critical websites and videos. They react to names like Mormon Stories and Mormon Discussions like a vampire to garlic.

But it seems like it has been a complete flop with everyone else. People simply aren't going to stop using a well-known name like Mormon and replace it with a nine-word sentence. Never will. So people curious about the church and people struggling with faith will still keep finding the mountains of critical information while the devout members will continue to be perplexed by how easily their friends and loved ones are deceived and deflected from the truth. Afterall, how hard is it to muster moral strength to just type thechurchofjesuschrist.org instead of Mormon? (BTW, you can still get to the church's site by typing LDS.org. They know even loyal members aren't going to type out the whole thing.)
Being Mormon is something I am quite proud of, frankly. I am no longer a practicing member of an organized religion, but damn... my family went on some great adventures and built some cool shit. The further the church distances itself from Mormonism, the better it is for me, as far as I am concerned. I like that we imported cattle to the west, developed roads and trade, facilitated part of the gold rush, and built some cool barns. The old temples and tabernacles were pretty damn cool. That one in Manti and the one in Logan, very cool. The religion stuff is weird. But meh, whatever.

I have more angst about the exmos hosting a new ideology as a reaction to the church's nonsense than I do about the church's old nonsense. That said... I agree with you. This is not going to do what Nelson thinks it will do.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:17 pm

When Rusty drops off, I wonder what Darth Vader….i mean Oaks….will do.

Will he kiss Rusty’s a$$ or move onto something new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mayan_Elephant

Re:

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:33 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:17 pm
When Rusty drops off, I wonder what Darth Vader….i mean Oaks….will do.

Will he kiss Rusty’s a$$ or move onto something new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
All I can imagine or envision for the Oaks era is opening the gates of hell from Kirton McConkie. I think Oaks will turn the two corporations sole into litigious monsters.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:02 am

If the top brass are able to keep the push to use the full name of the church up then it may help muddy the waters in the long term. Similar to Philip Morris rebranding to Altria in 2003. Everyone knows what Philip Morris is, but I’d guess few people connect it with Altria. Especially with the church’s generic name I think they have a shot at fading into the Christian background in the world psyche.

Of course, any amount of research by an individual will quickly connect the dots.

Members don’t realize that Russel M.’s big push was just him retraining his sales team at the guidance of the marketing team. Just like I didn’t realize I was a door to door salesman as a missionary.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:54 am

Word vulgarity follows.

There is a book about cursing, Holy Fucking Shit. That title explains what curse words are based around.

The Sacred

Sexual things

Various Excreta

So which one of those does the word mormon fit? I don't have a problem putting it any of the categories.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:21 am

I think it was probably something that had bothered Nelson for many years, and he'd probably given talks about it prior to his address in.. what was it '95? By then, through repeating the dictum multiple times, he'd gained confidence/spiritual confirmation sufficient to wield his apostle wand and warn the world. As we know, six months later, a more pragmatic prophet said ah, it's ok. We can imbrace the nickname. Let's not worry about it.

Then the ear wiggler imbraced the heck out of it, which probably started to irritate Nelson. Imagine.. if you really thought using the word "Mormon" was a victory for Satan, then what would you think about all the Mormon.org and I'm a Mormon videos? That probably drove him nuts. So, when he inherits the corporation, he soon rights the ship. We're NOT Mormons, dammit. And he didn't care how iconic the MoTabChoir was, they gotta change their name too.

Of course, I've no idea regarding the thoughts and motivations of the man, but I can tell you how it seemed to me, and it seemed to me that he was acting a bit butt hurt over having his idea tamped down by Hinckley and that he hammered his point home with the "victory for Satan" bit.

There's a new prophet in town. And he's building temples. Check that... he's ANNOUNCING temples. Lots of them. All over the world. Like snapping your fingers and throwing darts at a globe.

(Did anyone notice the China temple kinda disappeared.. it's not even on the list anymore. It was announced a few years ago and China said... umm, nobody asked us and we would say no anyway. If wishes were temples, even the Chinese might be saved.)

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:19 am

The devil has been busy with all the victories he's racked up, probably started keeping score as soon as Joe Smith's gold bible story came out and by golly and by gum- he's still racking up victory over victory....all the infidels saying Mormon all the time, or gasp- LDS. Whew, that's offensive for sure.

This sort of childish behavior from Nelson is no surprise to this group, but it's getting on the ridiculous side of things when he starts in on all the stuff that offends god. Which god? Zeus? Odin? Can't be the one many of us have prayed to most of our lives. Our god doesn't take things personally when a kind person refers to Mormons as Mormons.

But wait, there's more. Now, added to the list of things that offend god includes food. You heard it right folks. "Even food", he said at this last conference address, which I had the displeasure of listening to for about three minutes. When is this nonsense going to end?

As my dear departed dad used to say, "Stop trying to separate the fly shit from the pepper." This pepper separation has cost the church millions of dollars, with the name changes and the like, good grief. Glad that doesn't offend god. He doesn't mind spending money on stuff like that rather than taking care of things that matter even a little bit.

Too bad JS and all of the "prophets" who followed him are off the hook for using the nickname Mormon all there lives, now that Nelson, the one who "knows" how it has offended god all these decades, and how it has to stop. Now. Can they repent in heaven? We can only hope so.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell