Elevation Emotion/Oxytocin

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Elevation Emotion/Oxytocin

Post by deacon blues » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:11 pm

I copied this from a Wikipedia article about Jonathan Haidt:
Moral elevation
Main article: Elevation (emotion)
With Sara Algoe, Haidt argued that exposure to stories about moral beauty (the opposite of moral disgust) cause a common set of responses, including warm, loving feelings, calmness, and a desire to become a better person.[27] Haidt called the emotion moral elevation,[28] as a tribute to Thomas Jefferson, who had described the emotion in detail in a letter discussing the benefits of reading great literature.[29] Feelings of moral elevation cause increases in milk produced during lactation in breastfeeding mothers,[30] suggesting the involvement of the hormone oxytocin.

Is this a chemical explanation for the Holy Ghost?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Angel

Re: Elevation Emotion/Oxytocin

Post by Angel » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:07 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:11 pm
I copied this from a Wikipedia article about Jonathan Haidt:
Moral elevation
Main article: Elevation (emotion)
With Sara Algoe, Haidt argued that exposure to stories about moral beauty (the opposite of moral disgust) cause a common set of responses, including warm, loving feelings, calmness, and a desire to become a better person.[27] Haidt called the emotion moral elevation,[28] as a tribute to Thomas Jefferson, who had described the emotion in detail in a letter discussing the benefits of reading great literature.[29] Feelings of moral elevation cause increases in milk produced during lactation in breastfeeding mothers,[30] suggesting the involvement of the hormone oxytocin.

Is this a chemical explanation for the Holy Ghost?
See "feeling the feels" post in support forum.

Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:36 am

OK -so the amygdala transmits signals to the hypothalamus, we have transmitters and receivers inside our brain - our brain is generating signals, and receiving those signals. So you go to the doctors, and we have clumsy receivers -EEG, fMRI, MEG - clumsy affairs compared to the natural receivers in the brain - but we can detect brainwaves, magnetic fields, electrical signals with instruments outside of the skull - the signals that are being generated and transmitted inside our brains do not magically stop when they hit our skull.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33732922/
Recently, direct brain-to-brain communication (DBBC) outside the conventional five senses has been verified ...

You know how your beloved pet dog - they come in the room, and you can measure your hearts sinking up.
https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/true-love- ... dy-1403040

Service animals - it works
https://casper.com/blog/sleeping-with-your-dog/
We bring puppies in during finals week to lower stress on campus.

Piloerection - the hairs on the back of your neck will stand up.

direct brain to brain communication -I think for DBBC to work you have to really know the person, or the pet dog - it has to be your beloved pet who has lived with you. Your bodies sink up with one another - like a bunch of ladies all in sink when living together. I guess it also works at things like concerts, or angry mobs - something will sweep through the crowd. Sight, hearing, touch, taste, smell - those are part of it, they amplify it, but I think there really is a 6th sense.

It doesn't verify truth, it is not from God, its from one another.

Pretty neat.

‐‐---

https://youtu.be/UJMSU8Qj6Go?si=6azkuoUDgBJlTqjQ

Share the above video with all who still think that sensation is from God. It isn’t from God. It's herd bonding, it's connecting to other people. From women who live together having their cycles in-sinc, to feeling when your kid gets hurt - groupthink mob mentality - Ash conformity experiments, quite a few really thought the group was right. Flocks of birds, ant colonies, people - hive mind is real, we sinc up with one another.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:49 pm

Angel wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:07 pm

Recently, direct brain-to-brain communication (DBBC) outside the conventional five senses has been verified ...

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:45 pm

I recall feeling Elevation Emotion when I read Les Miserables and LOTR, but the BOM just didn't do it for me. I thought I was unworthy.

Full disclosure: I also felt it when I read Atlas Shrugged, which looking back, is less uplifting, but when I read it it moved me deeply.

The Thomas Jefferson example- reading great literature- is interesting. Was there an understanding of this in the early 19th century? Would J.S. have heard something about this? Probably speculation on my part.
Anyway, my point is, elevation emotion is a way tell it a book moves you, but it's not always a good way to tell if a book is good.
Last edited by deacon blues on Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:51 am

deacon blues wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:45 pm
I recall feeling Elevation Emotion when I read Les Miserables and LOTR,
My first memory of feeling an overwhelming sense of The Spirit was reading Where the Wilde Things Are in 2nd grade. That's how I know, with every fiber of my being, that book is true. Same thing for 2001: A Space Odyssey in 7th grade. And I didn't even have to beg God to help me feel it. It just happened. Then LOTR rings, same thing. I wanted SO badly to feel it for the BoM and spent untold hours on my knees. In the end I got the standard answer in my own inner voice, "Silly, you don't need an answer from God because you already know it's true."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:17 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:49 pm
Angel wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:07 pm

Haha - those puppy eyes, pulling the strings, getting the snacks. It's no surprise, the manipulation has always been going on.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson