Thom Harrison and "Visions of Glory"

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Jeffret

Re: Thom Harrison and "Visions of Glory"

Post by Jeffret » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:25 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:34 am
How does Utah's criminal Attorney General Sean Reyes figure into this Visions of Glory stuff? See this link:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/20 ... ntimidate/

https://www.printfriendly.com/p/g/DhnJbf
Very heavily. He's right in the midst of all of it. He's engaged in some very questionable, possibly illegal, activities.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:22 pm

Cnsl1 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:42 pm
I started watching the podcast on this.

I'm really really grateful this book didn't come out when I was in my early 20s. I might have bought a bit of that kool-aid. Why? Because I was special, by God. My patriarchal blessing confirmed it. I might even be a big player during the resurrection process. I'll have a lot of money. The church will look to me to do things that perhaps only I can do. Oh man. I can hear the revelations coming to me.. coming round the bend. The rocks and trees are telling me their stories. Look out, world.

Now I'm worried about some of the friends I had way back then. I hope they don't read this book or have wised up a bit. God, I hope so.
After hearing some more quotes from that book I want to revise my previous statement. Even in my early 20s I wouldn't have bought into some of that quakery. It gets a bit wild and weird.

And it's chilling to see how many people of been very very influenced by this book and then committed heinous crimes.

I hope we don't see more.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:08 pm

Cnsl1 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:22 pm
After hearing some more quotes from that book I want to revise my previous statement. Even in my early 20s I wouldn't have bought into some of that quakery. It gets a bit wild and weird.
Yeah, even in my most fanatically devout missionary days I don't think I would have been able to make myself believe that evil spirits enter an invisible hole in the top of someone's head every time they walk into a bar, look at a picture of boobs, or touch their naughty bits, until they are so full of evil that it would be a favor to them to put a bullet in their head.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:16 am

I just squirted an evil spirit...

Oh
my
gods!

I'm just over 3 hours into this podcast and it just gets crazier as it goes. You can't make this crazy $hit up!

The culture of my mormon life here behind the Zion curtain, the culty corporation I lived in for so many years, just continues to surprise me over and over again.

I don't have nearly enough popcorn for this crazy movie!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:40 pm

Interesting podcast I was "lead" to recently that reminded me of the discussion of patriarchy in this thread.

Talk Nerdy - Patriarchy w/ Angela Saini
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...