Post Modernist Mormons?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Post Modernist Mormons?

Post by deacon blues » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:08 pm

When my shelf broke I momentarily considered a post modernistic view: "Mormonism is false but it does some good, and gives meaning to people, so perhaps I could take its claims metaphorically. :shock: I just couldn't do it. :?
A belief in a literal truth/reality was something I couldn't give up. 8-)
However it seems that nuanced LDS are practicing a type of post modern relativism when they accept things like the "catalyst theory" and "a non-historical" BOM.
Generally the Q15 condemn postmodernism, but if it keeps one in the Church they turn a blind eye to it, ;) or ignore it.
What does that mean?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Bonfire

Re: Post Modernist Mormons?

Post by Bonfire » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:50 am

Where there is light there is the dark
When Moroni archived their history on the gold plates he realized the same thing Joseph Smith revealed: Mahonri
Did you ever wonder why Moroni leaves out that name?
He's his deut
“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God; “For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him” (D&C 18:10–11).

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:01 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:08 pm
Generally the Q15 condemn postmodernism, but if it keeps one in the Church they turn a blind eye to it, ;) or ignore it.
What does that mean?
It means "anything to keep the scam going".

It means they're desperate.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:21 pm

Bonfire wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:50 am
When Moroni archived their history on the gold plates he realized the same thing Joseph Smith revealed: Mahonri
Did you ever wonder why Moroni leaves out that name?
He's his deut

Joseph left out the pseudonym "Mahonri" because he wasn't aware that Sidney Rigdon had been a member of the "Mahoning Bible Association" when he was writing the BofM.

When Joseph later heard the name he played with it just enough to spice it up a little and incorporate it into his "revelations" just as he did most of his made-up hogwash.

http://sidneyrigdon.com/Maho-Idx.htm
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:53 pm

Bonfire wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:50 am
New life begins in the dark.
The womb.
The tomb.
The ground.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Bonfire

Post by Bonfire » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:48 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:53 pm
New life begins in the dark.
The womb.
The tomb.
The ground.
Sex is a death ritual
Sacrifice to Jesus or give to God or surrender to Satan
Where could Levi, Caleb, or Merari teach?
Absalom or Methuselah's College
“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God; “For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him” (D&C 18:10–11).

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:40 pm

Bonfire wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:48 pm
Sex is a death ritual
Oooh ... that's kind of a kinky way to do it.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:42 am

deacon blues wrote:
What does that mean?
It means they will tolerate just about anything that doesn't directly challenge their authority. Or their very naïve attitude about patriarchy or sexual orientation.

Terryl Givens is a good example. They tolerate his very radical explanations of restoration scripture (e.g. BoA as bricolage) but he will be out on his ass the moment he questions the absolute authority of any of The Brethren or suggests that women should have the priesthood, or that gay people can form family units.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Bonfire

Post by Bonfire » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:32 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:42 am
deacon blues wrote:
What does that mean?
It means they will tolerate just about anything that doesn't directly challenge their authority. Or their very naïve attitude about patriarchy or sexual orientation.

Terryl Givens is a good example. They tolerate his very radical explanations of restoration scripture (e.g. BoA as bricolage) but he will be out on his ass the moment he questions the absolute authority of any of The Brethren or suggests that women should have the priesthood, or that gay people can form family units.
Could you expand my knowledge on Athaliah or Deborah?

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:51 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:42 am
deacon blues wrote:
What does that mean?

Nuanced Mormons then have to make up excuses for the Mormon Jesus/Prophets. Which is where I came to know Jim Bennett, who seems like a totally nice guy. He knows the revelation game isn't quite straight, prophets and revelations don't always make sense, but dang it, they must still be prophets. :roll: Somehow they must know more than the rest of us. :?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:43 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:51 pm
...but dang it, they must still be prophets. :roll: Somehow they must know more than the rest of us. :?
They are prophets of the gaps. Every time they are shown to be oblivious (e.g. Mark Hoffman), or give an erroneous prophecy or interpretation their prophetic prominence is diminished. But it's never zero. The gaps where true prophesy happens grow smaller and smaller between the times when prophecy fails us. The lesson we learn is that we must then blame ourselves and each other for expecting too much from prophets or for tempting God by seeking a sign. It's just like those Book of Mormon artifacts that we know are out there somewhere, or the missing portion of the Book of Abraham scroll, the prophet will deliver spectacularly at some time in the future when we REALLY need him. For now we must wait, trust, and faithfully ignore the constant stream of screw-ups.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:09 am

Bonfire wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:48 pm
Sex is a death ritual
I liked Dr. Joel Fleischman's metaphor of sex snatching life out of the jaws of death.

"Come on kid, what ya got to lose? Try some of Doc Joe's Heavenly Elixir Oil. Only $2 a bottle and the girls will love you."
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha