Nom Bom shelf just broke.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Emower

Nom Bom shelf just broke.

Post by Emower » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:24 pm

I thought I was aware of most of the issues with the BOM. A while ago I made my peace with the bom and found myself in the non-literal, but still some of it might have been inspired writings camp. That has worked for me. I just read about duetero-Isaiah in the BOM. Whoa. :shock: Even the apologetic answers make Joseph look like a lazy and sloppy prophet/translator. The BOM just crossed the line from maybe it's the word of God to fraud for me.

Hagoth

Re: Nom Bom shelf just broke.

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Yeah, that's a good one. I kind of felt the same way with the italicized words from the KJV. It's also really interesting to look at newer/better translations of the Bible to realize how directly Joseph plagiarized the KJV. But what really did it for me was the New Testament language that the BoM authors used. I couldn't find any good reason for that, particularly the last verses of Mark that show up in Mormon 9 but weren't part of the older texts of Mark.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

20/20hind

Post by 20/20hind » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:59 pm

http://www.fairmormon.org/perspectives

This should get the books back on your shelf..

And ya the book is totally a fraud and made up bullshi@

It came from a guy looking into a rock in a hat..

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:07 am

Emower wrote:I thought I was aware of most of the issues with the BOM. A while ago I made my peace with the bom and found myself in the non-literal, but still some of it might have been inspired writings camp. That has worked for me. I just read about duetero-Isaiah in the BOM. Whoa. :shock: Even the apologetic answers make Joseph look like a lazy and sloppy prophet/translator. The BOM just crossed the line from maybe it's the word of God to fraud for me.
This implies some new questions. What will you do with the direction of your life if this book of scripture cannot be relied upon in the way you have relied upon it so far?

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:58 am

Yeah, I am amazed how we as Mormons can buy that book without a single shred of verifiable evidence (correct me if I missed anything, and NHM doesn't count). It is all about faith and a little bit of confirmation bias.

Watching "Going Clear" and Leah Remini with DW has been illuminating for both of us. They buy some insane $#!+, and so do we. (Insert Mark Twian quote about the folly of religion).

I am astounded at how the BOM has withstood scrutiny all these years. Nobody has been able to prove how it was written or even who wrote it despite all the theories. JD was amazing, really. I respect him for that.

I still cannot say with certainty what the BOM is, but I do know what it is not. It is not what it was taught to me to be.

Emower

Post by Emower » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:46 pm

Corsair wrote:
Emower wrote:I thought I was aware of most of the issues with the BOM. A while ago I made my peace with the bom and found myself in the non-literal, but still some of it might have been inspired writings camp. That has worked for me. I just read about duetero-Isaiah in the BOM. Whoa. :shock: Even the apologetic answers make Joseph look like a lazy and sloppy prophet/translator. The BOM just crossed the line from maybe it's the word of God to fraud for me.
This implies some new questions. What will you do with the direction of your life if this book of scripture cannot be relied upon in the way you have relied upon it so far?
The overall direction of my life will likely stay the same. The BOM being inspired or not does not change that. I suppose my attitude towards what the early church was has changed? That informs some aspects of life, e.g. I have had some normal underwear waiting for me in the closet in the event I wanted them. Now I want them. I live 80 miles from the nearest town, I cant just run to Wal-Mart on a whim. I have not yet partaken in evil liquid refreshments. That will probably change.

To be completely honest, I don't know how much I relied upon it anyway. It was never that important to me.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:49 am

Be careful when you fall down the rabbit hole because you will be surprised just how far down it goes.

Welcome to a new and hopefully better life of your own design.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams