What's up with the "countenance" concept?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Re: What's up with the "countenance" concept?

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:47 am

Here's what fallen countenance looks like:

Before:

After:
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Advocate

Post by Advocate » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:34 am

Just remember, we shouldn't judge a book by its cover. But in the church we are ok to judge a person by their countenance. :lol:

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:34 pm

Bonfire wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:40 am
There is something to be said regarding countenances. When a person sins their behavior changes, or rather their spirit that moves them was distracted elsewhere since the last time you observed them so they are not interacting with you on the same conscious level.

I think most would at least kinda agree. But I'd suggest caveats.

When a scrupulous member of a church does something they believe is sinful, they feel guilty enough that their behavior changes because they worry someone might know and/or they might lose blessings. They're particularly more distressed at church because, well the gift of discernment for one. What if someone can tell? What if everyone knows what I did? Those are distracting thoughts that make them act a little differently.

When a member doesn't think he's sinned but feels judged or looked at differently at church, he'll not be real comfortable there, which could be perceived by the scrupulous types that his countenance is darkened by sin rather than darkened by being around a bunch of judgy jerks. These types of folks usually don't and can't interact on the same conscious level. The genie is out of one's bottle and the rosey glasses are still on the other. This isn't to suggest they can't still be friends and interact very well together, but there's always that big thing. That very deep core piece that's markedly different and will probably always separate them unless one or both has a serious change of mind.

Another caveat is that a sociopath won't feel bad for doing socially or culturally or religiously bad things no matter what church they belong to or how often they attend and magnify their callings.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:07 am

Also, when someone stops attending LDS church, they often grow some facial hair, change their hair style, start wearing sleeveless tops, get a second piercing or a tattoo, wear non-white shirts to funerals, etc. They might also frown back and all of the frowns, judgmental looks and passive-aggressive comments they suddenly start getting from from still-actives. All are interpreted as fallen countenance.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:24 pm

Don't forget they're also no longer wearing their eternal smile tshirts!