Lavina Vs. Avraham

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Lavina Vs. Avraham

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:36 am

Lavina Fielding Anderson died this week. She was one of the Septembers Six, as was Avraham Gileadi.

Lavin was excommunicated for pointing out ecclesiastical abuse. After her excommunication she remained devoutly active in the church and a genuine believer in the gold plates and the mission of Joseph Smith. She said, "I have kept my covenants, remained close to the church and have felt that what I have done is accepted by the Lord.” A member of her Relief Society said, “I admired the fact that Lavina stayed true to her faith, committed to anything and everything she was allowed to do. She played the piano in Relief Society as long as her health allowed. She knew more about the church and the gospel than anyone I have ever known and was one of its greatest, strongest ladies.”

Yet her petitions for rebaptism were denied. She attended church weekly, but was not able to see her son married in the temple. She died an outcast from her faith.

Avraham Gileadi was excommunicated for publishing, The Last Days, which talked about the coming of The Davidic Servant before the return of Jesus. This is the character that Mormon Fundamentalists call The One Mighty and Strong. Although his book was pulled from Deseret Book, Gileadi was welcomed back into the church and rebaptised just three years later. He has been allowed to continue to publish The Last Days with another press and remains a member in good standing. The book has a 4.4 star rating on Amazon. His interpretations were endorsed and defended by Hugh Nibley and Neal A. Maxwell. Today Deseret Book still carries 8 of his books.

Gileadi sympathizes with Mormon Fundamentalists and has endorsed Thom Harrison's revelations in Visions of Glory as a correct interpretation of things to come, even though it has been the essential handbook that informs the behaviors of people like Chad & Lori Daybell, Tim Ballard, and Julie Rowe. Meanwhile, Harrison's revelations are still published, he was promoted to Bishop, and is professionally supported by the church.

I can't help but look at the comparison of Lavina and Avraham as a litmus test for what this church is really about under the hood.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Re: Lavina Vs. Avraham

Post by moksha » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:42 am

Avarham's work had the capability of harm, plus he had the support of the crazy crowd. Lavina was just a devout lady without the priesthood. Those are important factors in permanently crapping on someone.

When you know the Church is a fraud you must defend it accordingly. You know who and what you serve. The tithing must flow in order to fold Mormonism.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:49 am

Totally understandable. Avraham has had friends in high places, which always makes a big difference, especially in an organization like the Church. He's been supporting the Church's end-times theology.

Lavina committed a sin worse than murder -- questioning the patriarchy. And being a woman. What man at the top would make any effort to support that?
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:17 am

I morn for Lavina though I didn't know her personally, only through her writings. Bishop roulette seems to have an extra element, one's sex. :cry:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:13 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:36 am
Lavina Fielding Anderson died this week. She was one of the Septembers Six, as was Avraham Gileadi.

Lavin was excommunicated for pointing out ecclesiastical abuse. After her excommunication she remained devoutly active in the church and a genuine believer in the gold plates and the mission of Joseph Smith. She said, "I have kept my covenants, remained close to the church and have felt that what I have done is accepted by the Lord.” A member of her Relief Society said, “I admired the fact that Lavina stayed true to her faith, committed to anything and everything she was allowed to do. She played the piano in Relief Society as long as her health allowed. She knew more about the church and the gospel than anyone I have ever known and was one of its greatest, strongest ladies.”

Yet her petitions for rebaptism were denied. She attended church weekly, but was not able to see her son married in the temple. She died an outcast from her faith.

Avraham Gileadi was excommunicated for publishing, The Last Days, which talked about the coming of The Davidic Servant before the return of Jesus. This is the character that Mormon Fundamentalists call The One Mighty and Strong. Although his book was pulled from Deseret Book, Gileadi was welcomed back into the church and rebaptised just three years later. He has been allowed to continue to publish The Last Days with another press and remains a member in good standing. The book has a 4.4 star rating on Amazon. His interpretations were endorsed and defended by Hugh Nibley and Neal A. Maxwell. Today Deseret Book still carries 8 of his books.

Gileadi sympathizes with Mormon Fundamentalists and has endorsed Thom Harrison's revelations in Visions of Glory as a correct interpretation of things to come, even though it has been the essential handbook that informs the behaviors of people like Chad & Lori Daybell, Tim Ballard, and Julie Rowe. Meanwhile, Harrison's revelations are still published, he was promoted to Bishop, and is professionally supported by the church.

I can't help but look at the comparison of Lavina and Avraham as a litmus test for what this church is really about under the hood.
Well, Lavina published her books with Signature. George Smith, who owned Signature got whacked by Boyd K. I have no doubt that there was a business factor in how Lavina was treated. George's wife, Camilla, stayed in the church and held many callings. I was in their ward and Camilla was at my home frequently. Very interesting people. I liked them a lot.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”