Peter Santanello's new "Mormon" YouTube videos.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
wtfluff

Peter Santanello's new "Mormon" YouTube videos.

Post by wtfluff » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:37 pm

Any NOM folks seen any of the videos Peter has posted in the last couple weeks?

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/@PeterSantenello/videos
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Re: Peter Santanello's new "Mormon" YouTube videos.

Post by moksha » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:27 pm

I watched the first and half of the second. The new one is about the Fundamentalist Mormons.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:28 pm

When the guide tells him that Mormons have been on the move for most of their history, that's bogus. The church headquarters hasn't moved in 170 years.

I guess he's letting the guy tell his story. I'd love to see an exmo take him around.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:57 pm

blazerb wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:28 pm
When the guide tells him that Mormons have been on the move for most of their history, that's bogus. The church headquarters hasn't moved in 170 years.

I guess he's letting the guy tell his story. I'd love to see an exmo take him around.
Yeah, there have been quite a few "untruths" spoken during these videos. Peter is not one to argue about what folks say in his videos. Like you mentioned blazerb, he just lets people tell their stories.

An exmo video could still be in the works. My fluffy brain has a conundrum about Peter letting an angry exmo rant in one of his videos. I may or may not have heard enough of those "Mormon Stories" already. :P If it happens, there is no way I will miss it though.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:22 am

I watched the second video, the one where it's just like a neighborhood FHE. The questions were soft and the TBM's were giving all the standard, pat answers, except for the one lady who said if it wasn't for the Church she might not have chosen to have children. I thought, "That's interesting" but they immediately moved on to something else.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:13 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:22 am
I watched the second video, the one where it's just like a neighborhood FHE. The questions were soft and the TBM's were giving all the standard, pat answers, except for the one lady who said if it wasn't for the Church she might not have chosen to have children. I thought, "That's interesting" but they immediately moved on to something else.
Yeah, that statement struck me also. I'm pretty sure that I know folks who would say the same thing. I'm pretty sure that my thinking is also: If the only reason you're having kids/a family is because you were "commanded" to have a family, you probably shouldn't have a family.

That's not the only thing that got to me either. That whole video honestly just made me sad. A group of intelligent, successful looking humans simply regurgitating half-truths and pablum, all the while acting like they literally have all the answers. :| I'm surrounded by too many people like that. Luckily I have NOM and St. Judas, where I can scream and swear into the void, and then my world looks slightly brighter...

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:22 am

Peter's interviews with the people of Hilldale and Colorado City were phenomenal. He chose well in the people he talked to and his interview style is very appealing. That is a very informative episode and is well worth watching.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:55 am

He just posted a video with a exmo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNKWC0NtIsk

I just started listening. He's trying to get a variety of views.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:58 am

I watched two of the videos and parts of two others. Santello questioned the Post Mormon guy harder than the group of TBM's, at least in my opinion.
I had never heard of Santello before this series. How did he get to be so popular?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:44 am

deacon blues wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:58 am
I had never heard of Santello before this series. How did he get to be so popular?
He goes to places and talks to people that no one else addresses. He has a knack for finding very articulate interviewees.
-- Moksha