Book of Abraham Apologetics History

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

Book of Abraham Apologetics History

Post by 2bizE » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:10 am

I’m wondering if there is a timeline or account of when LDS apologetics regarding the Book of Abraham started changing their insistence that it was literally written by Abraham to realizing that the book had nothing to do with Abraham….but instead was a common scroll. When did church Egyptologists start agreeing with other Egyptologists about the scrolls used to translate the BoA?
~2bizE

moksha

Re: Book of Abraham Apologetics History

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:50 am

Shulem's many threads on the Celestial Forum at Discuss Mormonism cover this topic in great detail.

https://discussmormonism.com/viewforum. ... 35c18e67cc
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:43 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:50 am
Shulem's many threads on the Celestial Forum at Discuss Mormonism cover this topic in great detail.

https://discussmormonism.com/viewforum. ... 35c18e67cc
Shulem is Paul Osborne. He was, at one point, a hobby apologist. His writing on the topic is unmatched.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:10 pm

This is, for me, one of the big smoking guns shooting down Mormonism. The historic claims made by the Book of Abraham, the Book of Moses, and yes the BOM all are incompatible with ancient history that is recorded on Egyptian temple walls grave vault walls, Mesopotamian, Sumerian, and other ancient tablets that have been discovered since Joseph Smith died.
Not only is the Young Earth view of Fundamentalist Christians discredited, but claims of historical figures that are unique to Mormonism such as Egyptus, the city of Enoch, Jared, Mahonri Moriancumr, and other key characters of ancient Mormon history are contradicted by existing, verifiable archaeological evidence, lately found and or translated ancient records, and that bug a bear- DNA.
Adam and Noah as depicted in Genesis are impossible, but so are many Mormon figures presented in the unique Mormon scriptures. Pseudepigrapha is what modern Mormon scripture charitably could be called. Critically it could only be called fiction.
I used to read Shulem/Osborne over on the other site and I could feel his frustration at apologists who refused to confront the historical evidence and what it meant for Mormon truth claims.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:22 pm

Happy First day of Hanukkah! :D
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:14 pm

Never had much use for the narrative of Adam, Eve, having kids that lived hundreds of years, the kids marrying their brothers and sisters and the like, making the human race because Eve ate something she was told not to eat. Total nonsense, and a bad one at that.

I've learned to keep quiet about it though after a Stake Pres. counselor kindly reminded me that it is all an allegory and any thinking person knows that, so just leave it alone and accept the fact that some people believe it and be done with it.

So I have. Do I believe in the Book of Abe? Hell no, but neither do I believe in the book of Genesis in the Bible. So what? Who cares what I think? No one.

Is the church ever going to come clean with this BOA business? Please....
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell