The most correct book....

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Re: The most correct book....

Post by moksha » Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:16 pm

The Santa Claus people probably point to the reindeer and toy workshop for their proof. Those at Kris Kringle University most likely point to the movie Elf to illustrate the importance of their role in the story, plus to spread their discrimination against the LGBTQ community. They are allowed to be hateful Elves for the Lord.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:34 pm

Glowing books help you read in the dark
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:46 pm

It occasionally strikes me as odd that this "most correct book" is used to blanket the veracity of entire church gospel.

IF the BofM is true, THEN Joseph Smith was a prophet, AND Nelson is a prophet, and everything they say is true, even if it has nothing to do with anything in that most correct book, which you can know is true if you read it and feel at least as good as you do when your favorite team wins the super bowl.

While historical evidence doesn't support that the BofM started as the lynch pin or keystone of the Mormon religion, it certainly became so and it feels like the church really pushed that idea in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. They may still, idk, but it doesn't seem so. I think it would be counterproductive to push people to read and study the BofM as being the keystone because so much of it is now very easily discredited as factual or historical truths. They have to focus on something else.

I guess this year is the BofM year for church study? I wonder if we're going to get those keystone references.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:13 am

Hey Cnsl1, did you write a chapter by chapter critique of the BOM at one time, or was that somebody else who posted on NOM? I've been trying to remember how to find it. Thanks for your posts, by the way. :D
The BOM is not the best conversion tool, unless the person reads ONLY the BOM and uses ONLY the Moroni's promise epistemology. :?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:12 am

It wasn't me, Deacon.

I'm the guy who's written the farcical scripturish tales like the one when Nephi III decides to apply what he's learned through prophecy and boat technology and ventures back East following that new star then meets up with Casper, Melchior, and Balthasar and finally finds Jesus building a new pad with his parents before they bounce off to Africa, which is kinda anti climatic except that Nephi meets a nice gal who used to date one of the shepherds and she's pretty sick of hearing about Jesus constantly, but also kinda cute and so then he decides to stick around Israel and see what's up and since he never makes it back to Zarahemla you kinda get the idea he eventually hooks up with her and converts to Judaism.

I've considered retranslating the BofM.

I, Sam, having been born of pretty pathetic parents, had this spoiled little brother who just because he grew up bigger than me thinks he can boss us all around and make us build shit.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:35 am

:lol:
I found what I was thinking about. It's called annotatedbom. It's a great resource for critical study of the Book of Mormon
Annotated Book of Mormon (A-BoM)
a-bom.github.io
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.