Great book that covers a lot of issues

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Spicy McHaggis

Great book that covers a lot of issues

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:40 pm

This is a listing on ebay for the 25th anniversary edition of Dialogue Journal. I already have a copy or I would have purchased this one. I highly recommend one of you angry & offended anti-mormon sinners buy this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232190374318?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I can't recommend this enough and for only $12 it is probably the best book I've read about the church's issues and changing doctrines. It is basically an edition with the best articles over the first 25 years of Dialogue Journal. I think I paid $50 for mine. It is rare and out of print.

This is a list of titles of the articles it contains (I've heard the article about race and PH by Lester Bush was so embarrassing for the Q12 that it was the first catalyst to get the process for the change):

BELIEF AND HONESTY, THE CHALLENGE OF HONESTY

WHAT THE CHURCH MEANS TO PEOPLE LIKE ME

THE SEARCH FOR TRUTH AND MEANING IN MORMON HISTORY

THE FIRST VISION CONTROVERSY: A CRITIQUE AND RECONCILIATION

A TENTATIVE APPROACH TO THE BOOK OF ABRAHAM

BIRD ISLAND

SOLUS

HISTORY AND DOCTRINE THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE MORMON TEMPLE ENDOWMENT CEREMONY

NAUVOO ROOTS OF MORMON POLYGAMY

THE MAKING OF A MORMON MYTH: THE 1844 TRANSFIGURATION OF BRIGHAM YOUNG

SEERS, SAVANTS AND EVOLUTION: THE UNCOMFORTABLE INTERFACE MORMONISM'S NEGRO DOCTRINE:

WOMEN AND PRIESTHOOOD

MORMON WOMEN AND PRIESTHOOD A N EXPANDED DEFINITION OF PRIESTHOOD?

SOME PRESENT AND FUTURE CONSEQUENCES

MalcolmVillager

Re: Great book that covers a lot of issues

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:45 am

This sounds great. My shelf has such a back log, I will have to hold off for now. Can a disbelief shelf break too?

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:20 am

This particular listing is now sold.

Is this a singular text or a series of books?
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:44 pm

Dang. Missed it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:48 am

Long ago, before we had computers, the first Diologue" book was published. One of the founders and editors, Francis Menlove, contributed the excellent article entitled "The Challenge of Honesty", and with that one article, the NOM movement was started - at least in my opinion.

You can download the article now, as it is on the internet and free.

This fine author, with this almost flawless article, started it all. If you've not read this article, I would suggest you do. It was published first in 1966, and it contains ideas that are as vital and fresh today as they were then- maybe even more so. Hope you enjoy it.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:08 am

I have it-- it is great. I suspect many or all the articles can be found somewhere on the internet.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:38 am

For a while, Dialogue was offering a data DVD with subscriptions that included all the back issues. I have that, but since I only started reading the magazine around 2004 or so it's nice to have a list of good articles like this to go back and read.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:18 pm

Francis Menlove, "The Challenge of Honesty"

https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-cont ... 01_46s.pdf
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha