Mormon Discussion Youtube Videos

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Just This Guy

Mormon Discussion Youtube Videos

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:30 am

Mormon Discussion is the parent organization for Radio Free Mormon and Bill Reel.

Am I the only one who is super annoyed at their constant use of click bait video titles? These are all titles of RFM videos on Youtube.

"Uncovering the Shocking Truth Jesus May Already Be Among US"
"Strange Whistles Used for Shocking Purpose by Early Explorers"
"Shocking Truth about LDS Beliefs on Unforgivable Sin."
"Bouncing Bike Uncovered You Won't Believe What Happened in Germany"
"Uncovering the Bizarre Conspiracy that Tried to Keep Us Apart"
"You Won't Believe That This Pekingese Revels About His Sleeping Habits"
"Shocking Moment that Force One Woman to Take Control Of Her Life."

I used to listen on a semi regular basis, but all this click bait has had be avoid anything from Mormon Discussion out of annoyance. Anyone else see this?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Re: Mormon Discussion Youtube Videos

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:14 am

I only listen on a podcasting app. It's all audio, so I don't encounter any click bait.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:42 am

It looks like these are most common with the shorts. I rarely listen to those, but they are click-baity. I feel like Bill Reel has adopted some unhealthy habits. I don't know if anyone followed the dust up over mandatory reporting on reddit. Bill describes his position as "fearless" and "challenging," but he does not seem to want to engage listeners in real conversation. I find it frustrating. I like listening to RFM and Rene Steelman. I don't know how much input they have on the titles of their videos.

Just so I feel honest, I wrote the summaries on reddit of Bill Reel's sources regarding mandatory reporting. I'm feeling a little bitterness over the situation. Bill Reel seems to have blocked me after I linked to him twice to see if he could respond to my concerns. I thought that was the academic thing to do, but apparently he saw it as hostile. You can let me know if I'm being petty.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:31 pm

blazerb wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:42 am
It looks like these are most common with the shorts. I rarely listen to those, but they are click-baity. I feel like Bill Reel has adopted some unhealthy habits. I don't know if anyone followed the dust up over mandatory reporting on reddit. Bill describes his position as "fearless" and "challenging," but he does not seem to want to engage listeners in real conversation. I find it frustrating. I like listening to RFM and Rene Steelman. I don't know how much input they have on the titles of their videos.
I listened to part of Bill's episode about why he doesn't support mandatory reporting. Maybe I missed something, but I don't remember him actually citing any specific sources or getting into details on why mandatory reporting can be a bad thing. This is very disappointing to me because he is usually one of the best for citing sources. That was not one of his better shows for explaining why he has an opinion.

I have had a lot of time off the last month as I burned the last of my use-it-or-loose-it PTO for the year, so I haven't been listening to as many podcasts the last few weeks. Maybe I missed something but I have not heard any followup since then.

So what is the fall out from Bill's podcast?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:26 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:31 pm
I listened to part of Bill's episode about why he doesn't support mandatory reporting. Maybe I missed something, but I don't remember him actually citing any specific sources or getting into details on why mandatory reporting can be a bad thing. This is very disappointing to me because he is usually one of the best for citing sources. That was not one of his better shows for explaining why he has an opinion.
Bill did post "Resources" on Reddit if you want to go down that rabbit hole.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:42 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:31 pm
So what is the fall out from Bill's podcast?
Here is Bill's post on exmo reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... y_mind_on/
Bill Reel deleted a lot of his comments. I think he knows that some of what he said was not good. If you go to the end of the post, there are a number of sources. These same sources are also found in the description of the YouTube video.

This is my last post after going through all the sources to see what they actually said: https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... s_wrap_up/. There are links there for all the other parts on this one. I could have spent a very long time following this topic. I only did a very little.

I should also note that Bill has stated that he is going to revisit this topic. He implied that what he found out after making the video has modified his position, again. However, he has not posted anything definite, yet. I don't know what his current position is.

If anyone sees something I got wrong, I welcome correction. This topic is complicated. My main conclusion is that I am not qualified to say what the policy should be. I do believe strongly that priest/penitent privilege is wrong. I could not find any justification for it. If there is evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see it.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:57 pm

Since attracting viewers is part of the business model, click-bait titles have become the rage.

I am very impressed with the content produced by Bill and RFM, however many of their YouTube shorts taken straight from snippets of the regular programming are a big waste of time and I wish they would not make them. Some could be considered insipid and misleading, whereas the full programs cover the material in depth.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha