Church and State; Utah and Texas

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
RubinHighlander

Church and State; Utah and Texas

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:28 am

https://www.ksl.com/article/50847926/ut ... mmandments

Really? Who the crap are these law makers? Michael Petersen, R-North Logan that's who. The 60s called, they want their state representative back. Looks like he might have a law making buddy from Texas that he's parroting. Is Michael a zealot, here to usher in the last daze? But his campaign slogan says he's "Preserving Freedom in Cache Valley and all of Utah", but not religious freedom or freedom from religion, because there's only one "right" one.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Re: Church and State; Utah and Texas

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:43 pm

...would require a poster or framed copy of the religious text to be at least 16 inches wide and 20 inches tall, according to the bill's language.

Additionally, the bill stipulates any public school not displaying the Ten Commandments would be required to accept and display "any offer" of a privately donated poster or framed copy" that meets the size and display requirements.
As long as the Satanic Temple gets the same amount of real-estate (Right next to Mr. Peterson's framed fiction) I'm all for it.

I'll even donate some $$ toward the Satanic Temple propaganda. :twisted:

Can you imagine some Satanic Temple propaganda posted in any public building whatsoever in Utah? Heads would likely explode...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:54 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:43 pm
...would require a poster or framed copy of the religious text to be at least 16 inches wide and 20 inches tall, according to the bill's language.

Additionally, the bill stipulates any public school not displaying the Ten Commandments would be required to accept and display "any offer" of a privately donated poster or framed copy" that meets the size and display requirements.
As long as the Satanic Temple gets the same amount of real-estate (Right next to Mr. Peterson's framed fiction) I'm all for it.

I'll even donate some $$ toward the Satanic Temple propaganda. :twisted:

Can you imagine some Satanic Temple propaganda posted in any public building whatsoever in Utah? Heads would likely explode...
LOL! The Masons called, then the pagans called, perhaps the luminati...they want their secret handshake satanic rituals back!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:04 pm

Even if public schools guaranteed wall space for every faith tradition's tenets, that is not what American public schools should be about. We are not supposed to promote a public religion.

The fascist movement in America is presenting itself as Christian Nationalism. It would be better if that Logan legislator were to push for the writings of Ezra Taft Benson to be engraved on the sidewalks of BYU. Crackpottery should be confined to the proper venue.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:53 pm

Maybe they should also frame the Code of Hammurabi and the laws of the other ancient pagan theocracies the Ten Commandments were plagiarized from.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

alas

Post by alas » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:57 pm

I would just like to mention what somebody said on another thread when they mentioned wanting to keep political discussions to the coffee shop as much as possible, so that these forums don’t get taken over with politics. They mentioned how political discussions can become so consuming as well as maybe not feel safe to everyone. And since NOM is kind of self moderated, it means everyone needs to make an effort to bring up political topics in coffee shop, not to blame anyone, just to remind everyone.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:50 pm

alas wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:57 pm
I would just like to mention what somebody said on another thread when they mentioned wanting to keep political discussions to the coffee shop as much as possible, so that these forums don’t get taken over with politics. They mentioned how political discussions can become so consuming as well as maybe not feel safe to everyone. And since NOM is kind of self moderated, it means everyone needs to make an effort to bring up political topics in coffee shop, not to blame anyone, just to remind everyone.
I don't mean to be contrary, but I think a lot of folks don't pay any attention to what index or topic area any particular discussion is in, but just look at the active topics. So, in my opinion, it probably makes no difference where a discussion is, though it makes good sense that if someone wanted to avoid political topics they could not read any that originated in the coffee shop.

It makes sense to start a topic in the most appropriate area. That's what I do, but I do not pay any attention to where others start theirs.

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:46 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:50 pm
alas wrote:
I don't mean to be contrary, but I think a lot of folks don't pay any attention to what index or topic area any particular discussion is in, but just look at the active topics. So, in my opinion, it probably makes no difference where a discussion is, though it makes good sense that if someone wanted to avoid political topics they could not read any that originated in the coffee shop.

It makes sense to start a topic in the most appropriate area. That's what I do, but I do not pay any attention to where others start theirs.
On the other hand and the one hand of the other, Coffee Shops are kinda fun and relaxing. Not really the place you go to get lied to or lied about. You just go for coffee or one of those pastries or a tea. Maybe you get coffee that has 73 words and 123 syllables in the description. I say keep the Coffee Shop fun and not have vomitry and nonsense like this "The fascist movement in America is presenting itself as Christian Nationalism" in the Coffee Shop.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

alas

Post by alas » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:10 pm

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:46 am
Cnsl1 wrote:
alas wrote:

On the other hand and the one hand of the other, Coffee Shops are kinda fun and relaxing. Not really the place you go to get lied to or lied about. You just go for coffee or one of those pastries or a tea. Maybe you get coffee that has 73 words and 123 syllables in the description. I say keep the Coffee Shop fun and not have vomitry and nonsense like this "The fascist movement in America is presenting itself as Christian Nationalism" in the Coffee Shop.
Yeah, the old NOM would have moderated that out of existence.

I personally have quit reading very much at the coffee shop very much because sometimes I want to pull ugly faces at trolls, and it is best not to feed them. They are kind of like flashers. You should just shrug and say, “I’ve seen bigger on a frog.” And not react until you are around the corner, then call the police.

Maybe if we could all just stop engaging in any political extremism, just ignore it or remind the author that it is extremism, or I have no idea.

Maybe we need a “coffee shop” for friendly discussion and a “local bar” for political bickering. I think I am only kidding.

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:13 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:10 pm
Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:46 am
Cnsl1 wrote:

Yeah, the old NOM would have moderated that out of existence.

I personally have quit reading very much at the coffee shop very much because sometimes I want to pull ugly faces at trolls, and it is best not to feed them. They are kind of like flashers. You should just shrug and say, “I’ve seen bigger on a frog.” And not react until you are around the corner, then call the police.

Maybe if we could all just stop engaging in any political extremism, just ignore it or remind the author that it is extremism, or I have no idea.

Maybe we need a “coffee shop” for friendly discussion and a “local bar” for political bickering. I think I am only kidding.
Have you seen Deadwood? We don't need a bar. We need the streets outside the bars - with a view from the bar.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”