Tithe or you'll be burned?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Tithe or you'll be burned?

Post by moksha » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:21 am

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/kRsimOH4Mjc Pay us or you'll be burned!

Why do Mormon leaders say you will be burned if you do not pay them tithing money? Is this from the Prophecy of the Ensign Peak Investments?

What happened to a loving God?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Re: Tithe or you'll be burned?

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:47 am

I always heard that in regard to D&C 64:23
"Behold, now it is called today until the coming of the Son of Man, and verily it is a day of sacrifice, and a day for the tithing of my people; for he that is tithed shall not be burned at his coming."

The idea that I have always heard is that paying tithing is "fire insurance" to keep you from being burned on judgement day.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:11 pm

So silly if you look at it from even 3 feet away with one eye closed. Any institution that puts a dollar ransom on salvific ordinances is obviously a fraud. No matter how much good you do in your life, and no matter how sincerely you seek truth, in the end it all comes down to a final judgement that is indistinguishable from tithing settlement.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:14 am

Can you imagine if other charitable organizations acted like the church does?

March of Dimes: if you do not donate 10% of your income to our cause, you will burn in hell.

St. Jude’s: if you do not donate 10% of your income to children’s cancer research, God will curse your children and grandchildren even to the 7th generation with bone cancer.

It starts to sound more like extortion what the church does with tithing…
~2bizE

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:06 pm

Malachi 4:1 wrote: “For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.”
Funny to think about how normal things like this once sounded to me. The God of scripture sure does love those mass killings. And Jesus repeated this verse in 3 Nephi 25, right after he'd finished doing this very thing to a bunch of their cities.

But I'm sure all the babies in those cities were wicked non-tithe payers.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:42 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:47 am
I always heard that in regard to D&C 64:23
"Behold, now it is called today until the coming of the Son of Man, and verily it is a day of sacrifice, and a day for the tithing of my people; for he that is tithed shall not be burned at his coming."

The idea that I have always heard is that paying tithing is "fire insurance" to keep you from being burned on judgement day.
D&C 64:23 was the unofficial scripture of our mission. Interesting how 20 year old missionaries loved quoting it. :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:21 pm

We used to joke around about tithing, calling it "fire insurance", but really, we used that metaphor as one more justification to buoy up our faith and pay it. Windoze of heaven and all that.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE