How did Nibley miss this one?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

How did Nibley miss this one?

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:30 pm

Hugh Nibley is famous for finding the most tenuous parallels between ancient writings and LDS temple ceremonies. For example, he was certain the ancient Egyptians were doing the same endowment we do in Manti, Logan, and Pleasant Grove because an ancient papyrus mentions white and green clothing.

I found one that would have had Brother Nibley dancing in the streets. It's in the Enuma Elish, the ancient Babylonian creation narrative.

The god Marduk had just slain the mother goddess/dragon Tiamat, sliced her in half, and used one half of her corpse to create the heavens and the other half to create the earth. Then he killed her general and used his blood to create humankind, so the gods could take it easy and have someone else to do all their work. The other gods were so pleased they went on a Nelsonesque temple building spree and then declared Marduk the supreme god...

"Bowing themselves before him, they swore oaths and allegiance. And it was sworn by water and oil, motioning to their necks."

Of course, this was before 1990 when, I assume, the Babylonian gods also removed the penalties from their ceremonies.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Cnsl1

Re: How did Nibley miss this one?

Post by Cnsl1 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:55 am

:D :lol: :lol: