Events on Earth 2

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Events on Earth 2

Post by moksha » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:38 am

Can Book of Mormon critics prove the events did not happen on Earth 2 where the flora, fauna, and metallurgy may have been different?

I know that may sound far out, but I am engaging in advanced LDS apologetics. :idea:
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Re: Events on Earth 2

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:27 am

I am still waiting for the day when apologetics moves to a parallel universe/alternate history explanation for the Book of Mormon. All of those things really happened, but our current existence has split from that timeline and our current reality did not necessarily literally include those things, people and events. My BYU professor neighbor uses a corollary of this. My wife and I got in a conversation with him and his wife about children from both families leaving the church. Mrs. Hagoth asked them how they personally deal with problems in church history and doctrine. Sister. BYUProfessor got very quiet and uncomfortable and looked at the floor. Brother BYUProfessor said, "well, here's how I look at it. Ultimately, everything is energy in various manifestations, and therefore anything is theoretically possible."

Whatever.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:53 pm

To me, the multiverse scenerio is the only scenerio where God exists. Let everyone have existed everywhere experiencing everything - reincarnation, we all experience being poor, being rich, living in each life - equal opportunities, equal existence and experience - it is the only fair and just scenerio, for all of us to live through everything then become all-knowing.

Sure, multiverse is cool, that would work for me.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:14 pm

Angel wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:53 pm
Let everyone have existed everywhere experiencing everything - reincarnation, we all experience being poor, being rich, living in each life - equal opportunities, equal existence and experience - it is the only fair and just scenario, for all of us to live through everything then become all-knowing.
Book of Mormon land can stand alongside Never-Neverland, Honah Lee, and Middle Earth. We can all take comfort knowing that the fugitives from Jerusalem will set sails to the Americas, that Tinkerbell did not enter the void, that little Jackie Papers will grow up, and that some of the Fellowship took comfort in the Undying Realm.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:46 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:14 pm
Angel wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:53 pm
Let everyone have existed everywhere experiencing everything - reincarnation, we all experience being poor, being rich, living in each life - equal opportunities, equal existence and experience - it is the only fair and just scenario, for all of us to live through everything then become all-knowing.
Book of Mormon land can stand alongside Never-Neverland, Honah Lee, and Middle Earth. We can all take comfort knowing that the fugitives from Jerusalem will set sails to the Americas, that Tinkerbell did not enter the void, that little Jackie Papers will grow up, and that some of the Fellowship took comfort in the Undying Realm.
Except that all of those are satanic lies and only our alternate realities are TRUE alternate realities.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:03 pm

Good news for preppers on Earth 1: The Yellowstone caldera is not due to erupt for another 90,000 years. That will give us time to build many new LDS temples.

Oh yeah, the good news... while it will wipe out life in North America, that does not mean the extinction of the human race. Let's hope they build a Tasmanian temple and a millennial bunker for the Brethren underground in Samoa.
-- Moksha