Who is our Grizzly Bear now?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
RubinHighlander

Who is our Grizzly Bear now?

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Recently learned of some housecleaning that BKP was doing in the 90's. He was meddling in local Stake affairs regarding the excom of dissidents. DHO didn't like it and was calling BKP out for doing it. DHO was caught in a lie on this one because he lied about it to a reporter that he'd ever made that statement. One of these dissidents was the grandson of President Benson, who is the one who caught DHO in the lie. It's interesting stuff and you can read a news article about it here:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 2141&hl=en

DHO on BKP:
"You can't stage manage a grizzly bear...It was a mistake for Packer to meet Heinz to ask for the meeting."
Compared to earlier church leaders, this indecent is really minor. But when you put it into the context of inspired men of God who have divine providence, with a feeble 94 year old Benson at the helm, it's back the problem of "Will never lead us astray." vs. "Acting like a man."

And BTW, who is our Grizzly Bear now that BKP is gone? If DHO has changed over to the BKP dark side and now feels it's okay for the COB to advise it's local Stake leadership in matters of outspoken dissidents, then perhaps he is the chosen grizzly one. My bets are on Bednar.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Red Ryder

Re: Who is our Grizzly Bear now?

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Bednar is more of a grizzly bore.

After watching the leaked meetings with Elder Gong, I would say Oaks is clearly the hard pumping egotistical maniac that prolly goes home at night after a religious freedom fireside and loosens up with a nice cold glass of milk and cookies.

As he eats his cookies he's vivaciously humming "If you could high to Kolob" while listening to a bootlegged recording of himself that he made for himself.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:27 pm

HA! I can't come up with any counter arguments to that!

“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:22 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:05 pm
And BTW, who is our Grizzly Bear now that BKP is gone?
I imagine any of the Brethren who become so full of themselves that they cannot listen to reason or resist their baser impulses. This would include not issuing curses for she bears eating little children who laugh about baldness or withdrawing apostolic blessings from Rexburg students for talking after a fireside meeting.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:40 pm
Bednar is more of a grizzly bore.

After watching the leaked meetings with Elder Gong, I would say Oaks is clearly the hard pumping egotistical maniac that prolly goes home at night after a religious freedom fireside and loosens up with a nice cold glass of milk and cookies.

As he eats his cookies he's vivaciously humming "If you could high to Kolob" while listening to a bootlegged recording of himself that he made for himself.
:lol: :lol:
You should make a comic book series called Adventures of the Apostles.

I agree I think based on the leaked meetings Oaks is the new Packer.

I read the article though, and I'm surprised he retracted his statement. I think 2017 Oaks would have tried to convince us that "meeting" didn't mean "meeting," and he had done nothing wrong.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:37 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:22 pm
or withdrawing apostolic blessings from Rexburg students for talking after a fireside meeting.
Did that happen?
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:00 pm

So now we have to make several distinctions when an apostle speaks:
  • Speaking as a prophet: inspired doctrine
  • Speaking as a man: opinions, some well-formed and some crazy
  • Speaking as a bear: even embarrassing to other apostles
We still lack a precise way to determine which option is being used when one of these guys steps up to the pulpit in general conference.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:06 pm

MoPag wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:37 pm
moksha wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:22 pm
or withdrawing apostolic blessings from Rexburg students for talking after a fireside meeting.
Did that happen?
Yes it did.
~2bizE

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:10 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:00 pm
So now we have to make several distinctions when an apostle speaks:
  • Speaking as a prophet: inspired doctrine
  • Speaking as a man: opinions, some well-formed and some crazy
  • Speaking as a bear: even embarrassing to other apostles
We still lack a precise way to determine which option is being used when one of these guys steps up to the pulpit in general conference.

Speaking as a bear! Classic! :lol: