Kissing Hank's @$$

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
MalcolmVillager

Kissing Hank's @$$

Post by MalcolmVillager » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:53 pm

So maybe you have seen this before. It has subpar production value but the dialogue is amazing. Go to YouTube and search for my subject line. Watch the video with the guy in the suit and glasses. So freaking hilarious. Way too close to home! I can't decide if I should show DW.

Probably too soon.

Spicy McHaggis

Re: Kissing Hank's @$$

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:10 am

I liked it. The content definitely hits close to home as the arguments are essentially the same as in mormonism. Plus that song, Little Green Bag is a classic.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:52 pm

Brilliant! Five stars a green cheese moon and a sun!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:09 pm

Haha!! That was great! So many things were spot on- Gas lighting contradictions, circular logic, and hot dogs in buns!! :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Vlad the Emailer

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:42 am

:lol:

Great analogy!

Thanks for posting, Malcolm.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Hopefully, this link will make things easier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaFZQBb2srM

Official Symbol of Hank
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:43 am

A good illustration of how religious dogma has a self-protexting structure. For me it wasn't historical issues nearly so much as the fact that religious excuses for God not giving promised blessings until the next life is the perfect con game.It is not just Mormon ism, but religious teachings in general that are structurally protected from being tested in any meaningful way. Much like Sagan's dragon. Some people just cannot let go of hoping for the million dollars.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

NewLight

Post by NewLight » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:51 am

Too Funny!!

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:42 am

This really makes you think deeper about the paradigm of religion. Very funny. It was written by a pastor. Not sure I see the message from a pastor, other than religion is silly.
~2bizE

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:52 pm

I showed DW last night. She didn't like it and asked if I was trying to get her to leave the church. I had to back pedal quickly and apologize.

One step backwards. Oh well.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:08 pm

MalcolmVillager wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:52 pm
I showed DW last night. She didn't like it and asked if I was trying to get her to leave the church. I had to back pedal quickly and apologize.

One step backwards. Oh well.
Darned straight. She realized right off the bat that you were setting up Hank to be a direct competitor to that which she believed. She knew that you could not serve the Church and Hank simultaneously, even if they shared a major premise or two. DW's know the difference!!! Even if Hank seems hipper and more "with it" due to a relaxed stance of the absolute number or earrings or a laxity in coffee consumption, the Latter-Day Church has guys that communicate with Kolob Central on a daily basis and not just those occasional Hank memos. Big diff. I mean, everyone knows coffee is yucky and that too many holes in your ear will make your ear fall off, so it just makes sense!
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks for giving me a smile tonight Moksha!

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:13 pm

Here's the hypothetical Mormon missionary version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdCA5xAsw8I
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Obadiah_Dogberry

Post by Obadiah_Dogberry » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:37 am

Thanks so MUCH! I saw this years ago and loved it and then couldn't find it again.
#Feelingblessed

Monomo

Post by Monomo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:13 pm

:D I love the comparisons. I had to watch it a couple of times to make sure I caught them all.