"The Unwritten Order of Things"

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Mormorrisey

"The Unwritten Order of Things"

Post by Mormorrisey » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:20 pm

I've been contemplating this one a lot recently, as I was remembering how much I was confused by and/or disiked this talk by Boyd K Packer when I heard it some years ago. For those who've never heard or read it, here it is:

http://emp.byui.edu/huffr/The%20Unwritt ... Packer.htm

It covers a lot about how the institutional church is run, and basically it tells members how, why and when to show deference and/or obedience to priesthood leaders. I remember being struck by how many useless cultural rules (many of which make zero sense out here in the mormon periphery of the great white north) there are in the church. Not only that, but how many "unwritten order of things" are there? What happens if we don't understand them all and do a faux pas? Will they count as sins of omission in the Kimball scheme of repentence? I just remember being rather taken aback by all of this.

I'll give you a humourous example of this, when I started really figuring out that the church is about rules and following the right rules, not the "commandments." When Sister M went to the temple for the first time, she was instructed by one of the ladies there that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES was her garments allowed to touch the ground. (I was reminded of this when I went to have a shower today, that her G's were off in a neat pile near the sink.) In the 20+ years we've been married, not once have they touched the ground, as that's her obedient mindset. She even tried for years to move mine off the ground, until I told her to leave my underwear where they are, thanks so much! (I either don't remember this counsel, or I wasn't informed of this "unwritten order of things," so I don't feel as much pull to be obedient.) What I don't understand about all of this is simply this: it's disrespectful for the garments to touch the ground, yet when I do some heavy labour or exercise, they slip into a place that definitely does not show the garments much respect. So letting them fall on the floor is a sin, but having them in the crack of my butt does not? Are you kidding me?

Once I figured out most of the "commandments" of the church of this "unwritten order" variety are the vagaries and whims of a bunch of old white guys, it's been a lot easier to blow them off. A thought for the day.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

MoPag

Re: "The Unwritten Order of Things"

Post by MoPag » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:55 pm

I didn't like it either even when I was TBM. I remember Bednar explaining it to us at BYUI. He said that people with higher callings are more spiritual and are more beneficial to the spiritual welfare of church members, more so than rank and file members. He tried to twist it to seem like it was really for the benefit of the rank and file to show crazy amounts of respect for church leaders. It's almost like he was trying to convince us: "What a blessing it is for you to kiss my a$$." :roll:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:08 pm

To me this talk is about the patriarchy. Unwritten order of things applies outside mormondom, as well.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:34 pm

So many examples. White shirts, standing for leaders to enter the room, blessing the treats, recognizing leaders on the stand, serving highest authority the sacrament first, sacred Monday nights, okay for JS to break 3 or 4 commandments to keep the polygamy commandment, highest ranking authority is always right (higher inspiration), not turning down callings, paying friends of scouting like a tax when commanded, etc....

fh451

Post by fh451 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:07 am

MoPag wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:55 pm
It's almost like he was trying to convince us: "What a blessing it is for you to kiss my a$$." :roll:
Bingo! This talk (along with the "Mantle is far far greater than the intellect" talk) really exposed the mind of Bro Packer. He was all about authority and deference to authority. There is one way to behave and live your life, and we, the brethren, are going to tell you what that is!

fh451

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:30 am

The rule of garments not touching the ground adds unnecessary stress, IMO.
I understand that the idea is to respect them as sacred.
But it's important to not mistake a symbol for the thing it represents.
It's kind of superstitious - and packed with shame, as if there wasn't enough of that already.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:09 pm

fh451 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:07 am
MoPag wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:55 pm
It's almost like he was trying to convince us: "What a blessing it is for you to kiss my a$$." :roll:
Bingo! This talk (along with the "Mantle is far far greater than the intellect" talk) really exposed the mind of Bro Packer. He was all about authority and deference to authority. There is one way to behave and live your life, and we, the brethren, are going to tell you what that is!

fh451
How could I forget to add that mantle talk, or Packer's "Ode to the September Six?" I remember reading the first edition of Quinn's Magic World View, and wondering why he was being ex'd for that. Then I read this talk, and went, "I guess THAT's why." Didn't bother me at the time, does now.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:35 pm

One thing I hate about Mormonism is people feel it important to make up their own rules and then expect everyone to follow them. For example, caffeine. Until recently, there were people denied a TR for drinking coke. How about passing or taking the sacrament with your right hand. White shirts to pass sacrament. in the name of Jesus Christ amen, women never being the last speaker...all unwritten, invented rules to follow that have no doctrinal basis.
Ugh
~2bizE

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:27 am

Being morbidly obese is OK as long as you don't drink coffee or smoke.

Running 5 miles a day is great, but if you drink one glass of red wine (for health,...even if your doctor prescribes it [which mine did]),..you are UNFIT FOR THE TEMPLE!

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:42 am

Worthiness.gif
Worthiness.gif (192.49 KiB) Viewed 8880 times

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:15 am

As Elder Packer says, "You don't need to see it in writing to obey what we tell you to do. Just do it and work on reaction time so you don't dawdle. Do what we tell you quickly and ask no questions. Do these things and you can make it out of this realm alive."
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:31 am

My parents largely followed the "don't let garments touch the floor rule". Luckily I never followed that rule even as a believer.

The rule about standing when an apostle enter a room is a really annoying "rule".

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:05 am

Corsair wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:31 am
My parents largely followed the "don't let garments touch the floor rule". Luckily I never followed that rule even as a believer.

The rule about standing when an apostle enter a room is a really annoying "rule".
The standing when an apostle enters the room makes me angry. Its hero worship. I think its dangerous.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:28 am

Waiting for Rob4Hope to post meme:

Garments: OK if they touch the holy sphincter. NOT OK if they touch the ground!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg