Joseph's plea to Vermont

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
20/20hind

Joseph's plea to Vermont

Post by 20/20hind » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:20 pm

This is some crazy history here. Specifically look at Joseph's pleas to his home state of Vermont and then look at their reply...wow

http://www.olivercowdery.com/smithhome/ ... .htm#added

20/20hind

Re: Joseph's plea to Vermont

Post by 20/20hind » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:24 pm

"You ought to have given his full history for you was old enough when you left here to remember a great many things about him and how he used to tel about your being born with a veil over your face, and that he intended to procure a stone for you to see all over the world with. "

Ouch..

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:39 pm

I believe it is an apologists' claim that Joseph wouldn't have had any opportunity to read or experience Shakespeare's work before "translating" the BoM and so when the BoM states "from whence no traveler can return" we are to believe that it is purely coincidental that it is nearly a perfect paraphrase from the Bard. Yet, here we have Joseph quoting him quite literally in his letter to the green mountain boys " As Shakespeare would say; "thereby hangs a tale.""
Apparently he had time to become familiar with the Bard at sometime during his life.....I think it was probably earlier rather than later. 8-)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:52 pm

Pale Rider! Are you the same Pale Rider from days of yore? With the Clint Eastwood avatar? Good to hear from you. :)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:32 pm

As Joseph Smith wrote in the the link from the first post:
Were I a Chaldean I would exclaim: Keed' nauh to-maroon lehoam elauhayaugh deyshemayaugh veh aur kau lau gnaubadoo, yabadoo ma-ar'guauoomen tehoat shemayaugh alah. (Thus shall we say unto them: The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens.)

An Egyptian: Su-e-eh-ni; (What other persons are these?) A Grecian: Diabolas basseleuei: (The Devil reigns.) A Frenchman: Messieurs sans Dieu, (Gentlemen without Go.) A Turk: Ain shems: (The fountain of light.) A german: sie sind unferstandig. (What consumate ignorance!) A Syrian: Zaubok. (Sacrifice!) A Spaniard: Il sabio muda conscio, il nescio ne. (A wise man reflects, a fool does not.) A Samaritian: Saunau! (O Stranger!) An Italian: O tempa! oh diffidanza! (O the times! O the diffidence!) A Hebrew: Ajtaij aol raicu (Thou God seest me.) A Dane: Hvnd tidende! (What tidings!) A Saxon: Hwaet riht! (What right!) A Swede: Hvad skilla: (What skill!) A Polander: Nav-yen-wheo bah poa na Jesus Christus: (Blessed be the name of Jesus Christ.) A Western Indian: She-mo-kah She-mo keh ough-nepgab. (The white man, O the white man, he very uncertain.) A Roman: Procul, o procul este profani! (Be off, be off ye profane!) But as I am I will only add: when the wicked rule the people mourn.
Wish I was enough of a linguist to know which parts are valid and which parts are BS. Wish I was enough of a scholar to piece together where Joseph got this from. If I were to say "O Fortuna velut luna statu variabilis" it would be from listening to Camina Burana too many time, but where did this Mormon prophet get "Keed' nauh to-maroon lehoam"?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

20/20hind

Post by 20/20hind » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:20 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:32 pm
Were I a Chaldean I would exclaim: Keed' nauh to-maroon lehoam elauhayaugh deyshemayaugh veh aur kau lau gnaubadoo, yabadoo ma-ar'guauoomen tehoat shemayaugh alah. (Thus shall we say unto them: The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens.)

An Egyptian: Su-e-eh-ni; (What other persons are these?) A Grecian: Diabolas basseleuei: (The Devil reigns.) A Frenchman: Messieurs sans Dieu, (Gentlemen without Go.) A Turk: Ain shems: (The fountain of light.) A german: sie sind unferstandig. (What consumate ignorance!) A Syrian: Zaubok. (Sacrifice!) A Spaniard: Il sabio muda conscio, il nescio ne. (A wise man reflects, a fool does not.) A Samaritian: Saunau! (O Stranger!) An Italian: O tempa! oh diffidanza! (O the times! O the diffidence!) A Hebrew: Ajtaij aol raicu (Thou God seest me.) A Dane: Hvnd tidende! (What tidings!) A Saxon: Hwaet riht! (What right!) A Swede: Hvad skilla: (What skill!) A Polander: Nav-yen-wheo bah poa na Jesus Christus: (Blessed be the name of Jesus Christ.) A Western Indian: She-mo-kah She-mo keh ough-nepgab. (The white man, O the white man, he very uncertain.) A Roman: Procul, o procul este profani! (Be off, be off ye profane!) But as I am I will only add: when the wicked rule the people mourn.
Wish I was enough of a linguist to know which parts are valid and which parts are BS. Wish I was enough of a scholar to piece together where Joseph got this from. If I were to say "O Fortuna velut luna statu variabilis" it would be from listening to Camina Burana too many time, but where did this Mormon prophet get "Keed' nauh to-maroon lehoam"?
From the tablet of ahkmenrah of course...

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:56 am

Wow you have to love Uncle Dale Broadhurst's research. Fascinating stuff. Those green mountain boys sure knew what was really going on. The most interesting point was how they discussed father Smith wanting to start a new religion and if it had fifty years to take, it would succeed. New Israelites anyone?

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:51 pm

The German's exclamation "sie sind unferstandig" is correctly rendered "Sie sind unverständig," which means "They are without understanding"; it appears that Joe took some liberty with the translation "what consummate ignorance" ("Was für vollendete Unwissenheit!" rendered literally).

The Roman's exclamation is grammatical and was translated correctly.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:27 am

The first part is a supplication to the masons in Vermont. He has done everything to get the land and property back, and now is wanting individuals and states to put pressure on Missouri. Notice, the heart to heart, shoulder to shoulder. And then a request to the brethren parts would all be understood by fellow masons.
Joseph was quite unlearned, as you can tell from the letters. He must have had help for the different language translations and quote from Shakespeare.
~2bizE

Vlad the Emailer

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:56 am

20/20hind wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:20 pm
moksha wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:32 pm

From the tablet of ahkmenrah of course...
I followed the link and read this and the first thing that came to mind was, Well, yaba daba doo to you too, Joe.

This entire entreaty is crazy stuff, even without JS's need to inject his obsession with being a translator into it.

The strange world of Mormonism gets stranger with nearly every "revelation".

Thanks for posting, 20/20.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:33 am

deacon blues wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:52 pm
Pale Rider! Are you the same Pale Rider from days of yore? With the Clint Eastwood avatar? Good to hear from you. :)
Yep, It's me Deacon. Glad to be back and thanks for the welcome. 8-)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington