Top three prophetic actions or statements

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
oliblish

Top three prophetic actions or statements

Post by oliblish » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:46 pm

I like the top 3 most troubling doctrine/issues thread. I thought I would start another.

What are the top 3 things that Thomas Monson has done or said that only can be done by a prophet?

I will start...

1. Tell stories about widows.
2. Um, tell stories about the Navy.
3. ... having trouble coming up with a third...

What would a true believer be able to come up with?
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

wtfluff

Re: Top three prophetic actions or statements

Post by wtfluff » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:22 pm

oliblish wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:46 pm
What are the top 3 things that Thomas Monson has done or said that only can be done by a prophet?
1. November Hate Policy.
2. Missionary Age Change.
3. NO CELEBRATING!!! (Fake milestones.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:02 pm

oliblish wrote:

A TBM would think that anything that came out of TSM's mouth was the same as if it were coming out of God's mouth. All of those widow stories, all of those Navy stories, he told those because he talks to god all the time and god told him to tell those. And TSM know all gods secrets so if he wants us to do something horrible (November hate policy) we should do it because he is a prophet. And we should always follow the prophet. :roll:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:22 pm

I'll give you just one:

Not give direct testimony as to the truth claims of the church.

Go ahead, ready any of his last 20+ talks and show me where he says any of those things are true, that they really happened, and he knows it without a shadow of a doubt. Divine indeed.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:19 pm

The most explicitly prophet oriented thing that Thomas Monson has done has been to give dedicatory prayers at temple dedications. It could be claimed that Monson is still receiving revelation for the church but that has to be taken on faith, I suppose. Abinadi, Elijah, and even Joseph Smith set a pretty serious standard for what a prophet can do.

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Let us not forget the clear sign of supernatural powers given on the night of the miracle of the ear-wiggling!

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:11 pm

oliblish wrote:
I like the top 3 most troubling doctrine/issues thread. I thought I would start another.

I will start...

1. Tell stories about widows.
2. Um, tell stories about the Navy.
3. ... having trouble coming up with a third...

Well, he gave his train away (several times ....apparently little Tommy had many trains. :) )
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

20/20hind

Post by 20/20hind » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:39 am

I can't think of anything, but I do generally like him. He has not been honest about church history and he continues to not be open about the churches money

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Apologetic response: all of the necessary prophetin' for this generation has been done. Monson's job is to just keep the door open should prophesy ever be needed again. It is a wicked and adulterous generation that seeketh after a sign.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:37 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:22 pm
I'll give you just one:

Not give direct testimony as to the truth claims of the church.

Go ahead, ready any of his last 20+ talks and show me where he says any of those things are true, that they really happened, and he knows it without a shadow of a doubt. Divine indeed.
I have heard others say this. I have not verified personally but don't doubt it. It would be disturbing for TBM'S of they knew.

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:34 pm

How about pigeons? The great pigeon prophecies....
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:47 pm

THREE. That time Joe Smith allegedly prophesied great destruction to be visited upon Jackson County, which happened during the Civil War.
TWO. That time Joe almost-but-not-quite prophesied the Civil War (D&C lxxxvii).
ONE. Joe's downfall played out exactly as he (pretending to speak for God) outlined in D&C iii: 3--4. (http://packham.n4m.org/prophet.htm under the section "A VAIN PROPHET WILL BE THROWN DOWN".)
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:22 am

oliblish wrote:
1. Be the sole owner of the Corporation of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (in the Bylaws).
2. Preside over all meetings in which he is in attendance.
3. Dedicate offices of Zion's Bank or Church owned malls at their grand openings.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:14 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:22 am
oliblish wrote:
1. Be the sole owner of the Corporation of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (in the Bylaws).
2. Preside over all meetings in which he is in attendance.
3. Dedicate offices of Zion's Bank or Church owned malls at their grand openings.
I see that you are quoting from scriptural basis for the articles of incorporation of the The Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is a section of inspire scripture that has not made it into the Doctrine and Covenants.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:50 pm

I like how some of the more recent general priesthood sessions have only gone 90 minutes. I hope they don't go back to 2 hours when the mantle passes to the next guy but it likely will.

90 minute conference sessions are so much easier to manage/sit through.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:04 pm

nibbler wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:50 pm
I like how some of the more recent general priesthood sessions have only gone 90 minutes. I hope they don't go back to 2 hours when the mantle passes to the next guy but it likely will.

The "next guy" is Nelson...so yeah...y'all are probably going back to 2 hours.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:23 am

MoPag wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:04 pm
nibbler wrote:

If they go short, President Nelson can have Wendy fill up the last 15 minutes with a lecture on "God ordained marital intimacy." Apparently, doing family history is supposed to be an LDS approved aphrodisiac.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:21 am

Corsair wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:23 am
MoPag wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:04 pm
nibbler wrote:

If they go short, President Nelson can have Wendy fill up the last 15 minutes with a lecture on "God ordained marital intimacy." Apparently, doing family history is supposed to be an LDS approved aphrodisiac.
:lol: Good ol' Aunt Wendy!!! But how could she speak at a priesthood session? Maybe they could broadcast her in from somewhere, or she could write the talk and Nelson could read it.