In the news today...no surprise it's tied to Mormonism

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Lithium Sunset

In the news today...no surprise it's tied to Mormonism

Post by Lithium Sunset » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:05 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38526255

So disturbing. I wonder what the church really looked like in the beginning or behind closed doors.

"Long abandoned blood oaths", why the Hades were there ever blood oaths to begin with... It is an interesting, if not heartbreaking, story.
I am always amazed at the bravery and resilience some people have.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

2bizE

Re: In the news today...no surprise it's tied to Mormonism

Post by 2bizE » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:24 am

Very disturbing....maybe a new council of 50 could help out with this problem.
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:12 am

Joseph Smith's true legacy lives on.

How does the mainstream church continue to live on unscathed from it's ugly history?

We need to make the invisible visible!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:04 am

I was once taught that the first thing you need to heal a hidden wound is get some light on it and understand what it is--acknowledging it exists and it hurts.

The LDS Church can't accept they made any mistakes--to do so would throw disdain and doubt on the "Prophet will never lead the church astray" myth.

They have themselves in a corner, and they depend on lulling their members into a somber brainless sleep over real history and issues, in order to keep them.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:47 am

I read that LeBaron used the "Nephi killing Laban" story from the BOM as justification for the murders he had ordered.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Vlad the Emailer

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:22 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:12 am
Joseph Smith's true legacy lives on.
Indeed.

By their fruits shall ye know them. And as much as they want to run screaming away from it, believing Mormons know this is one of the fruits of Mormonism.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:22 pm

The current church would love to scrape the tar of polygamy off their backs but it still remains. From Hinckley interview with Larry King:

"As far as I'm concerned, I have nothing to do with it. It belongs to the civil officers of the state.

Larry King: You condemn it.

Gordon B. Hinckley: I condemn it, yes, as a practice, because I think it is not doctrinal. It is not legal. And this church takes the position that we will abide by the law. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, magistrates in honoring, obeying and sustaining the law."

If the LDS church has nothing to do with polygamy I wonder how it was brought to the west to begin with? They sooooo want to wash their hands and consciences of this thing. But history won't let them. They should embrace it, own it, eat every last spoonful of it and then admit that it was never a revelation and that their famed leader, Joseph was nothing more than a pious con man....if such a thing actually exists.

Why not save whatever honor or dignity they still have left and just do the right thing? They seem to be so very good at telling others to repent. Physicians....heal thyself.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:58 pm

Palerider wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:22 pm
The current church would love to scrape the tar of polygamy off their backs but it still remains. From Hinckley interview with Larry King:

"As far as I'm concerned, I have nothing to do with it. It belongs to the civil officers of the state.

Gordon B. Hinckley: I condemn it, yes, as a practice, because I think it is not doctrinal. It is not legal. And this church takes the position that we will abide by the law. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, magistrates in honoring, obeying and sustaining the law."

If the LDS church has nothing to do with polygamy I wonder how it was brought to the west to begin with? They sooooo want to wash their hands and consciences of this thing. But history won't let them. They should embrace it, own it, eat every last spoonful of it and then admit that it was never a revelation and that their famed leader, Joseph was nothing more than a pious con man....if such a thing actually exists.

Why not save whatever honor or dignity they still have left and just do the right thing? They seem to be so very good at telling others to repent. Physicians....heal thyself.
1+
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:59 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:58 pm
Palerider wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:22 pm

1+ Good to have you back, Pale Rider