Resignation

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Palerider

Resignation

Post by Palerider » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:22 pm

Sorry if this topic doesn't belong here but was wondering if there had been any more news on whether a member can resign from the church online or not? Lately I've been thinking more seriously about getting this over.

I just don't want to go through the crap of having to talk to a Bishop or Stake President in order to convince them I'm serious. I have a tendency to get "testy" regarding the church and then I feel guilty for having gotten a little angry with someone. I like to have peace in my life.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Brent

Re: Resignation

Post by Brent » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:34 pm

I would suggest a lawyer like the dude in SLC who helps out. At the end of the day they will work very hard to have someone do an in-home visit and I think the only way to avoid it (I couldn't) is to actively tell the Bishop by phone that you will shoot him off the porch.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:47 pm

quitmormon.com is who Brent is referring to.

I think it's done via online forms, and mostly if not any contact. If your bishop decides to visit you even though your "attorney" requested that he not visit you, he'll deserve every bit of "testiness" you throw at him.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:58 pm

From what I have heard, QuitMormon takes you out of the mix and you are not pestered. I resigned through email & had no trouble at all, however, I had informed some local leaders of my intention & gave strict instructions not to be contacted by anyone. I sent the email to the main membership office in SLC and I copied local ward and stake leaders. I said it was my hope that it would be processed quickly, in a spirit of mutual love and respect, and I quoted the 11th Article of Faith in the letter. My resignation was processed in less than a week without any fallout. I am still on friendly terms with everyone in my former ward and stake.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:07 pm

Why do I get the feeling that this (the church way) isn't the way the Savior would go about this? I think the Savior would be prepared to accept my decision (with sadness and regret of course) as the use of free agency that it is. No hoops to jump through. No artificial guilt trips or threats of losing my family.

That's why I get the feeling that by leaving the church, I'm actually getting closer to the Savior than farther away....

Thanks everyone for the info by the way.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Godislove

Post by Godislove » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:20 pm

My husband and son resigned this past fall through quitmormon.com. I believe it is the same SLC lawyer mentioned above. The site walks you through the necessary steps.

We received zero contact from the stake or ward. A confirmation email was sent when it was finished. Seemed quite uneventful after the soul searching and amount of time spent in service to the church.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:09 pm

I don't have anything to say specifically about a desire to leave,...but I hear more and more about people leaving, and yet statistically the church is always claiming growth.

I don't get it...and its been said before, BUT GOLLY WOULD IT BE INTERESTING TO SEE REAL NUMBERS!

The church plays smoke and mirrors with the best of them.

And, if there are any COB people reading my post here...YOU KNOW YOU LIE! AND YOU SAY YOU FOLLOW CHRIST?

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:09 pm
I don't have anything to say specifically about a desire to leave,...but I hear more and more about people leaving, and yet statistically the church is always claiming growth.

I don't get it...and its been said before, BUT GOLLY WOULD IT BE INTERESTING TO SEE REAL NUMBERS!

The church plays smoke and mirrors with the best of them.

And, if there are any COB people reading my post here...YOU KNOW YOU LIE! AND YOU SAY YOU FOLLOW CHRIST?
I remember something about inactive people staying on the membership records until they are like 100 years old+/-. The COB won't admit defeat that they lost someone from the headcount until they sure they're dead beyond a reasonable doubt.
So in 75 years when all those soccer kid baptisms reach 100 years old we might see a decline in the numbers.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:05 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:07 pm
Why do I get the feeling that this (the church way) isn't the way the Savior would go about this? I think the Savior would be prepared to accept my decision (with sadness and regret of course) as the use of free agency that it is. No hoops to jump through. No artificial guilt trips or threats of losing my family.

That's why I get the feeling that by leaving the church, I'm actually getting closer to the Savior than farther away....

Thanks everyone for the info by the way.
Because when you quit, the BP and SP feel like it is their fault for not being a terrific shepherd. They visit you to find some type of closure.

BTW, I wonder if there is an Alexa app for the Amazon Echo to quit the Church??
You could just say, "Alexa, open the Stop Being Mormon app and resign my membership...and when you're done with that order me a pizza and a beer."
~2bizE

document

Post by document » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:32 am

I resigned before QuitMormon was a thing. I sent a form letter I found on exMormon.org. My resignation, and that of my wife and three children were promptly processed without question. That of my "of age" son (8 years old at the time) was not processed as I "could not speak for him" was rejected. The church would not let him quit without him actually writing a letter.

He did about a year and a half later after the policy change. He saw his grandmother crying over the policy (she is a believer) and questioned as to why. He wrote his own resignation letter, handwritten and signed it as best a 9 year old can. We submitted the same form letter along with his handwritten note (which he wrote with no prompting) with the signatures of myself, my ex-wife, and his step-father. That way, there was no question. He was promptly removed from the records.