Mormon (Religiously Induced) Poverty....

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Hermey

Mormon (Religiously Induced) Poverty....

Post by Hermey » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:55 am

It's more widespread than you realize.

So, I read an interesting article this morning....Poverty Isn't a Lack of Character. It's a Lack of Cash

As I ponderized :lol: what the author was proposing in the article, I applied similar reasoning to the effects of the excessive extraction of both money and time (time also being a commodity like money) by the Church on its members. I could see similar effects both anecdotally and through direct experience of meeting with people (professionally) regarding their financial situations over the last 24 years. So often when I meet with people around the kitchen table or in my office, the true picture of their financial state is revealed. In the majority of cases, it is the complete opposite of the facade that is presented to those around them. This excessive extraction of those resources is, by-and-large, detrimental to the members and has far reaching effects. Unfortunately, most members are not able or willing to recognize this as a significant source of the problems or challenges they face.

Moderation and prudence in giving (or allowing the plundering to occur) would be so beneficial, both in terms of their present situation and on a long-term basis.

Sigh.

RubinHighlander

Re: Mormon (Religiously Induced) Poverty....

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:15 pm

I'd be an excellent case study. If the tithing and time drain were not enough over the 40+ years, the divorce was a crushing blow with years of child support and alimony, then came 1.5 years of unemployment in my mid 40's. Just now catching up from all that in my mid 50's and starting to build up the 401k again.

Those TBMs that do have enough disposable income to not feel the tithing drain, they are mentally invested in TSCC, usually filling higher leadership positions, so I believe it's their egos that keep them embedded in it (it's true because I believe it and could never be duped). Then if they get to mission prez, 70 or higher positions on the actual COB payroll they are financially invested as well. In the meantime, the poor people stay in a state of humility and keep at it out of fear, guilt or an afterlife that promises a big palace.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE