Kamala

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Angel

Kamala

Post by Angel » Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:08 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_Harris

Her mother, Shyamala Gopalan, was a Tamil Indian-American biologist whose work on the progesterone receptor gene stimulated advances in breast cancer research.[16] Shyamala had moved to the United States from India as a 19-year-old graduate student in 1958.

Kamala Harris's father, Donald J. Harris, is a Stanford University professor of economics (emeritus) who arrived in the United States from British Jamaica in 1961, for graduate study at UC Berkeley, receiving a PhD in economics in 1966.

When Harris began kindergarten, she was bused as part of Berkeley's comprehensive desegregation program to Thousand Oaks Elementary School, a public school in a more prosperous neighborhood in northern Berkeley[29] which previously had been 95 percent white, and after the desegregation plan went into effect became 40 percent black.

When she was twelve, Harris and her sister moved with their mother to Montreal, Quebec, where Shyamala had accepted a research and teaching position at the McGill University-affiliated Jewish General Hospital. Harris attended a French-speaking primary.

Kamala attended Westmount High School in Westmount, Quebec, graduating in 1981. There, a friend confided to Harris that she had been sexually abused in her home. Hearing of her schoolmate's experience helped form Harris's later commitment as a prosecutor to protect women and children.

While at Howard University, she interned as a mailroom clerk for California senator Alan Cranston, chaired the economics society, led the debate team, and joined Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.

San Francisco district attorney Terence Hallinan recruited Harris as an assistant district attorney.[58] There she became the chief of the Career Criminal Division, supervising five other attorneys, where she prosecuted homicide, burglary, robbery, and sexual assault cases – particularly three-strikes cases.

Harris took a job at San Francisco City Hall, working for city attorney Louise Renne. Harris ran the Family and Children's Services Division representing child abuse and neglect cases.

Harris met her future husband, attorney Doug Emhoff, through a mutual friend who set up Harris and Emhoff on a blind date in 2013. Emhoff, who was born in a Jewish family, was an entertainment lawyer who became partner-in-charge at Venable LLP's Los Angeles office. Harris and Emhoff were married on August 22, 2014, in Santa Barbara, California. Harris is stepmother to Emhoff's two children, Cole and Ella, from his previous marriage to the film producer Kerstin Emhoff.

Harris was described by The New York Times in 2020 as a pragmatic moderate, with policy positions that broadly mirror those of Biden. Left-wing activists have criticized Harris on numerous occasions for her past actions as a prosecutor, which have been called "right-wing."

... just thought she deserved her own thread.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hagoth

Re: Kamala

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:46 am

Regardless of what anyone thinks of her qualifications, she is certainly a breath of fresh air. I look forward to a debate. She should turn Trump's too old and mentally incompetent argument around on him, and add a big dose of his disrespect for women.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:06 am

I like her prosecutor vs felon rhetoric.

I hope the Saints do not come out with any racial or gender putdowns of the Vice President, like having Anette Dennis announce that one needs a priesthood antenna to help lead the nation, or that she was not valiant in the pre-existence because of her ancestry. Keeping that Mormon thinking hidden deep in the Church's canyon vault is best.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:29 am

moksha wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:06 am
I like her prosecutor vs felon rhetoric.

I hope the Saints do not come out with any racial or gender putdowns of the Vice President, like having Anette Dennis announce that one needs a priesthood antenna to help lead the nation, or that she was not valiant in the pre-existence because of her ancestry. Keeping that Mormon thinking hidden deep in the Church's canyon vault is best.
None of that is necessary; it is written deep into the DNA of Utah. She hasn't got the remotest whisper of a chance here. Yeah, verily, the still small voice whispereth "make the Promised Land white and delightsome again."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:36 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:29 am
None of that is necessary; it is written deep into the DNA of Utah. She hasn't got the remotest whisper of a chance here. Yeah, verily, the still small voice whispereth "make the Promised Land white and delightsome again."
Yes, Utahns will vote Republican as long as they think that is what Church leaders want.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:15 am

JD Vance is not solely misogynistic. He would describe Jesus as a Cat Savior who did not have children.
-- Moksha