March 17th: 175 Years of Relief Society

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
moksha

March 17th: 175 Years of Relief Society

Post by moksha » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:29 pm

March 17th will mark the 175 year anniversary of the LDS Relief Society, the oldest women's organization in the United States. Best keep this to yourselves since the Church announced a few weeks ago that it would not be celebrating any of these events.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Re: March 17th: 175 Years of Relief Society

Post by MoPag » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:38 pm

I've always liked how it's on St. Paddy's day! :D

Part of me was pissed that they decided no to celebrate. But then I remembered that a celebration would probably be a fireside where one of the Q15 would mansplain to us about how useful we are and then gaslight us into thinking we have it good in the church. Then the RS presidency would get up and say how the world is so evil and basically all women outside of the church are baby-killing crack whores who want to work outside the home. Oh and probably someone would say something homophobic too.

So really I'm not too sad there won't be a celebration.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:51 pm

What?

We're having a celebration. I'm not going. Haven't been in years. My TBM self was shocked that the topic of conversation at my table was plastic surgery.

Boob jobs give the biggest bang for the buck. That was my take away from that evening.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:35 pm

MoPag wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:38 pm
I've always liked how it's on St. Paddy's day! :D
St. Patrick's Day!

Hey, I got one for you. What do you call the second counselor of the First Presidency on St. Patrick's Day?

Dieter McUchtdorf
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:38 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:35 pm
Hey, I got one for you. What do you call the second counselor of the First Presidency on St. Patrick's Day?

Dieter McUchtdorf
It sounds like a German breakfast item at a fast food restaurant. "I'd like a large McUchtdorf and a side of coffee, or rather, Postum."

Perhaps Hank McEyring or Tommy O'Monson could explain why there is a noticeable gap between the first and second General Presidents of the Relief Society? Surely the Relief Society would have been endlessly helpful from 1844 - 1868 at the height of LDS pioneer immigration. I can only imagine the lessons in church on the service and sacrifice of the Relief Society for companies crossing the plains, especially those poor suckers in handcarts.

It might also be helpful to ask who were the priesthood holding husbands of the second and third General Presidents of the Relief Society. Eliza R. Snow is a faithful feminist icon in LDS history. We also know of her brother who became prophet, but no one mentions that she was married to the first two presidents of the church. Zina D. H. Young was married to more men than that, unfortunately for her first husband.