Church Activity Poll

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.

What is your current level of activity in the church.

Active (attend almost every week)
41%
Semi Active (occasionally attend)
19%
Inactive (Almost never attend, but still a member)
29%
Left (Have had my name removed, or not a member)
12%

Total votes: 69

LostMormon

Church Activity Poll

Post by LostMormon » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:41 am

Just curious to see the church activity levels of the participants here on NOM 2.0. Also if you feel like it, comments explaining your choice would be great.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: Church Activity Poll

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:46 am

While I attend every week with my TBM wife and small children, my Sunday School and Priesthood attendance can be random depending on how I feel and if I wish to contribute my iconoclastic comments. I would much rather be elsewhere doing other things, but that would be a relationship challenge with my wife that I'm not willing to take on at the moment.

NotKeepingQuiet

Post by NotKeepingQuiet » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:36 am

If it weren't for DH, I would not be going. He's doing his best to try to steer the barge in a healthier, Christ centered direction which includes teaching GD with Rough Stone Rolling in his back pocket. I have to hand it to him, he thinks he can make a difference. I, on the other hand, am not holding my breath. I'm just waiting to see how long it takes the bishop to release him.

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:14 pm

I attend less and less as time goes on. Several years back I started skipping a lot of SS and EQ.

The last time I went to EQ was the weekend the JS polygamy essay came out. I maybe went to SS once last year if that but usually went to SM.

Now I only go to SM about once a month and nothing else. I think just once a month is a huge waste of time. If they had meetings like that at my work everyone would complain about them and refuse to go. Why would anyone go to a meeting where absolutely nothing gets done and you don't learn anything? If my wife were not TBM I would never go.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

document

Post by document » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:50 pm

Left, name removed.

I still live in a community that has a sizable LDS population (around 10 - 12%) and my entire family are believers. I think if I lived outside of my area, I would never come to the boards again. Mormonism has a tendency to come up too often where I live.

Random

Post by Random » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:22 pm

I was going to stay unless they kicked me out, because they just transfer your name from one file to another if you resign. The Nov policy is what made me change my mind. I did not want, before God, to be connected to a religion that had a policy like that. I was not part of the first mass resignation, but it coincided with that.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:08 pm

I don't believe at all (and have settled comfortably as agnostic) and don't attend church ever, but I have not taken my name off the records yet. Maybe I will after my grandmother passes away. I love her but she is a pill when it comes to measuring your worth with her TBM stick. I tell her all is good at church haha.
I used to think volunteering with the church was still worthwhile and have said so on here.... but after listening to the sisters drone on about their disappointment with inactive family members or working with bitter members who are always the same ones to show up. It's just not worth it to me anymore, too many other opportunities to help elsewhere.
I am going to a baby shower this weekend for my last visiting teaching partner. I really like her, plus she knows completely how I feel about the church.
I have been inactive before... riddled, crippled almost, with guilt, not knowing where I belonged. I am a different kind of inactive now. I feel fortunate that my journey lead me fully back in and then got me fully (mentally) out.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Vlad the Emailer

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:50 pm

oliblish wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:14 pm
If my wife were not TBM I would never go.
Same here. I go once or twice per month, but usually not more than that. Were it not for TBM DW I would resign and do my best to never darken their door again.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut

Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:43 pm

oliblish wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:14 pm
The last time I went to EQ was the weekend the JS polygamy essay came out.
I also mark this as a turning point. I still attend for several reasons, but something died when that essay came out. It's not what happened then; it's the defense of it now at the expense of LDS women. I couldn't believe it.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Quit attending August 2012. Resigned August 2013.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:34 am

In process of transitioning from Semi Active to Inactive to ????
I guess what happens in upcoming discussions with BP/SP will have a big influence.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:58 pm

So there are 8 Pagan Sabbats every year. I skip church to go to those. But other than that, I'm pretty much there every Sunday. I'm in the Relief Society Presidency so I kind of need to be there. (Slow claps for the priesthood power that gave me calling. :lol: )
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:31 pm

Very rarely attend. Ward seems to be fine with that.

Took my wife three times in the past 12 months when we attended in another country. I feel like this is enough for 2017.

Still a member because I'm just too apathetic to write a letter. No bothers from the brothers so all is good.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Can of Worms

Post by Can of Worms » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:19 pm

I haven't attended a single Church meeting since April 2014. (I've been in a Mormon Church twice since then but only to attend wedding receptions. We made excuses to skip the temple ceremony. And lucky for us DD had a civil ceremony since she married a nevermo.)

Even though I'm In Canada, Prop 8 was the beginning of the end of my Church attendance. I started skipping SM on Fast Sunday to avoid hearing people talk about how their righteous family in the US were fighting to protect the sanctity of marriage (it was legalized in Canada in 2005). Then I started skipping SM up to three times a month as the comments became more frequent in talks. I used the excuse that I wasn't ready for my primary/ nursery lessons. Then in 2011 DD moved onto a YSA Ward and I only made the effort once or twice a quarter. I stopped going to my Nursery calling in 2012 when the leader changed and I didn't like the new one. No one ever asked me why. I've had VTs sporadically since but it has been a year since anyone has made contact. DH quit as ward clerk last summer after nearly 10 years in the calling. He stopped going to meetings when I did and only went to count tithing and do paperwork. To my knowledge no one has reached out to him either.

I think my mom has an inkling that something is up but she hasn't asked. Last month my TBM sister asked me to go to the temple with her - the first time she has initiated spending time together in years that wasn't linked to a holiday meal. I haven't had a TR since 2008 or 2009...

Every few months I'll run into someone from church and we will exchange pleasantries but no one ever bothers us. The missionaries knock on the door once or twice a year but we don't usually answer. I don't think of myself as Mormon - I describe myself as raised Mormon - and couldn't be bothered to write a letter to resign. We've managed to just fade away.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” Winston Churchill

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:30 pm

Korihor wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:34 am
In process of transitioning from Semi Active to Inactive to ????
I guess what happens in upcoming discussions with BP/SP will have a big influence.
Ya think?!

Keep us posted with all the gory details!

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:41 am

I stopped attending church in 2012. Resigned 2 years ago this month and left Utah a year later. I now live in California and the only missionaries who have knocked on my door have been the Jehovah Witnesses. I have no regrets. Now the forest is my church and my thoughts and my life are my own. All is good. There was a time when I struggled just like so many here and I guess that is why I still hang around. I went through a lot of dark days to get where I am today. It does get better and I thank NOM for being my lifesaver.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:04 pm

have to admit, I did not expect "Active" to be leading the poll

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:56 am

LostMormon wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:04 pm
have to admit, I did not expect "Active" to be leading the poll
I expected Active to be the leader in the poll, but I think it should be disclaimered Active*

*Physically active, not necessarily mentally"
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:15 pm

I haven't had my name removed but I haven't attended since 2011. It may have been removed without my knowing, but I doubt it since I haven't actively or publicly gone after the church.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:17 pm

document wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:50 pm
Left, name removed.

I still live in a community that has a sizable LDS population (around 10 - 12%) and my entire family are believers. I think if I lived outside of my area, I would never come to the boards again. Mormonism has a tendency to come up too often where I live.
If it means anything to you, believing something different than most has a way of cropping up no matter what. It may not be specific to the NOM experience, but most of America is religious enough to find someone that isn't down with your choice of how or if you worship.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.