Miracle 3 day newspaper

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
FiveFingerMnemonic

Miracle 3 day newspaper

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:52 am

How do we go about dissecting this in a skeptical way? It seems like just another 3 Nephites type rumor story, although in this case the paper exists. Popped up on the old faith promotin' rumor facebook feed. While being aware that the 3 Nephites can live forever like in Highlander, I wasn't aware they could teleport newspaper articles across the ocean in a matter of days.

http://www.ldsliving.com/Elder-Ballard- ... le/s/80005

wtfluff

Re: Miracle 3 day newspaper

Post by wtfluff » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:37 pm

No-one in the LDS Corporation, and I mean NO-ONE has ever promoted any sort of faith-promoting rumor (lie), have they?

[/SARCASM]
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:10 pm

This proves the LDS church is true beyond a shadow of a doubt...
~2bizE

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:30 am

I have the first version of Chad Hawkins book, the first 100 temples. Bought it in my TBM days.
It's full of these stories.
Like the Bismarck-temple where the lack of spatial planning rules is presented as a miracle.
When the Church contacted cityhall asking for permission to build a temple, cityhall said: you own the ground???
Yes...
Happy building, invite us when completed :D

It's a miracle!!
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:00 am

Meilingkie wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:30 am
I have the first version of Chad Hawkins book, the first 100 temples. Bought it in my TBM days.
It's full of these stories.
Like the Bismarck-temple where the lack of spatial planning rules is presented as a miracle.
When the Church contacted cityhall asking for permission to build a temple, cityhall said: you own the ground???
Yes...
Happy building, invite us when completed :D

It's a miracle!!

A common faith promoting story about SLC Temple is that it was miraculously constructed with enough space for heating and air conditioning ducts. I would love to verify this with the HVAC team that did the first install. :)

Another one along the same lines is Brigham's inspiration to make SLC streets super wide so wagons could turn around on them, thus prophetically setting up SLC for modern city streets. Gotta love these stories. :)

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:08 am

Meilingkie wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:30 am
It's full of these stories....
Oh man! I forgot about all of those.

I have close relatives who "lived through" the building of the Vernal, UT temple. I swear they can go on for days telling these types of stories. (Some of which have obviously been debunked since I heard them, but we won't talk about that. Much like lots of stuff "not talked about" within the corporation.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:21 am

I wonder if the Jehovah’s witnesses have these stories in their lore too. Like miracles in building Kingdom halls or publishing facilities in New York.

Redcrown27

Post by Redcrown27 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:06 am

I heard the story of the newspapers traveling far distances in a short few days in Sunday School years ago.

I have also heard stories of extremely well off Christian church pastures leaving their position to join the LDS church after reading the book of mormon.

I heard the story of a man in charge of repairing and tuning pianos became LDS after playing an LDS church hymn.

I have heard stories of Farmers disturbing old Nephite graves and bones collecting themselves and flesh suddenly growing over them as the ancient dead returned to life like Jesus.

I heard a story of an entire family leaving the church because an ancestor was given a prophecy that he would one day build a temple. He built a church and a tabernacle but not a temple. Decades later one of the old buildings was turned into a temple so the prophecy did come true. The family missed out of the rich self fulfilled prophecy of the LDS church.

The word of wisdom was right about tobacco being bad so the whole thing is true.

... And wheat is for man?

I know plenty of people who have wheat allergies or is unable to digest wheat properly. I know plenty of people who lose their belly just from cutting out wheat from their diet.

In an EQ lesson the Salt Lake City Temple elevators were mentioned and that the builders had the foresight to know to build the elevator shafts not knowing what they were for. I later had a private conversation with someone who said that the elevators were added later and installed in an unusual spot my modern building standards.

Truth is stretched to make good stories to keep people in.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:20 am

Some time ago I had the chance to speak with Seventh Day Adventists about their founding prophet, Ellen White. The SDA absolutely has miracle stories, healings, and divine providences that are par for the course of Restoration Era faiths. How much faith and existential "truth" should we ascribe to them? Should it convince any Mormon that the SDA church is God's one true church?

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:30 am

Corsair wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:20 am
Some time ago I had the chance to speak with Seventh Day Adventists about their founding prophet, Ellen White. The SDA absolutely has miracle stories, healings, and divine providences that are par for the course of Restoration Era faiths. How much faith and existential "truth" should we ascribe to them? Should it convince any Mormon that the SDA church is God's one true church?
Don't forget that current war movie "Hacksaw Ridge" features a devout seventh day adventist as the hero!
Religious elements notwithstanding that is one hell of a story.