Deaths of Despair

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
RubinHighlander

Deaths of Despair

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:03 pm

This is a very discouraging but interesting trend in the US - This study shows the middle-aged white people mortality rate is in decline. This is a stark contrast in the US to the rest of the world and other races.
In 2015, when researchers Anne Case and Angus Deaton discovered that death rates had been rising dramatically since 1999 among middle-aged white Americans, they weren't sure why people were dying younger, reversing decades of longer life expectancy.
The group at greatest risk are those without college degrees who are unable to find meaningful work. This seems to be a failure of our capitalistic and profit driven economy. What would be interesting to me is to know what percentage of the group were active in a religion and see if there were any difference in the statistics there. In other words, does a religious belief give a person a more meaningful and fulfilling life or does it put more pressure on them and more stress of guilt and fear when they have economic challenges.

I'm thinking back to my own situation in being unemployed several years ago, for about a year. I have a college degree, it was just bad timing in the economy. I remember playing mental gymnastics as we blew through all our savings; I found some contract work to keep us afloat, and we were lucky enough to get by, but I'm still recovering financially from that situation. I was getting pretty discouraged, being a full tithe payer TBM at the time, trying to do everything right, but either feeling unblessed, unanswered prayers or playing the mental game of it must be a test. My faith or religion did not help me in that situation.

I could not bring myself to ask for assistance from the bishop, I was too proud. I was even pressured by my SP to use the bishop's storehouse to supplement our situation. Glad I never did; even though I walked away from that corp, having paid hundreds of thousands of $$ in tithing with nothing in return and very little in retirement funds. But I guess I helped educate a bunch of upper class white kids for the COB, so at least they won't be at risk for suicide.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Jinx

Re: Deaths of Despair

Post by Jinx » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:47 pm

I read a longish article in Bloomberg News about this study. They mentioned the breakdown of organized religion as a contributing factor to the sense of alienation that undereducated white people are feeling. They used to believe that despite (or because of) their trials, they were going to heaven. The loss of that belief is pretty significant.
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson

Newme

Re: Deaths of Despair

Post by Newme » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:03 pm
This is a very discouraging but interesting trend in the US - This study shows the middle-aged white people mortality rate is in decline. This is a stark contrast in the US to the rest of the world and other races.
It is sad, I've known several people who died way before their life expectancy.
Heart (cardiovascular) disease is the #1 cause of death in the US. It's a bit of a taboo subject and who knows maybe that adds to the problem.
What would be interesting to me is to know what percentage of the group were active in a religion and see if there were any difference in the statistics there. In other words, does a religious belief give a person a more meaningful and fulfilling life or does it put more pressure on them and more stress of guilt and fear when they have economic challenges.
It is interesting to consider. My guess would be that it depends - if someone's able to take the best & leave the rest, it can be beneficial, but if not, it could be destructive. A study sought to discover what, if any, religious influence had on physical healing. Of 3 groups those who did poorest were those excessively involved and those not involved at all. Those who did best were those moderately involved. There's wisdom in the original NOM middle way of moderation in all things including religion! :)

A similar study found something similar - that pastors and the like tended to suffer from stress & mental illness at much higher rates than others.

Personally, I'm trying to take the best & leave the rest of the church, to develop my self-esteem independent what others think or say of me, and to reach out to others when I feel inspired to - keep some forms of social support (like here).
Glad I never did; even though I walked away from that corp, having paid hundreds of thousands of $$ in tithing with nothing in return and very little in retirement funds. But I guess I helped educate a bunch of upper class white kids for the COB, so at least they won't be at risk for suicide.
You did what you thought was right at the time - so in that sense, you can feel good about your integrity. Now, you see more clearly, and now you've responded so that's a good thing too.

I had talked to someone in our extended family about some concerns I had with the church and money and how tithes were taken & spent. I felt morally obligated to tell them because they were going through some tough financial times - lost job no income. I went over to their house and out on the counter to be sure I could see it was a check for thousands of dollars to the church for tithing. At that point, I realized that I did my part morally, it was now up to them to open their eyes about it.

Utah (being highly lds) is one of the highest states of bankruptcies (#5). Sad, but fact. No doubt, financial stress causes more problems and a sense of despair.

I wish members would realize the ACTUAL SCRIPTURAL law of tithing and how the lds church has corrupted it.
Tithing is supposed to be on increase, NOT income...
IE: 2 men earn same money.
1 man lives with his parents who pay all his bills so all his income is increase.
2nd man is sole provider of a family of 7 and after paying bills, has no increase left.
The church wrongly demands the same amount of tithing from each man - which increases poverty & burdens rather than lessening them.

Also, tithes are supposed to be given to the poor - according to Deut. 14:28-29.
Yet, Oaks admitted that not a penny of tithes goes to the poor and that members need to pay extra for charity.
Again, it's evil how they're handling money - also with no transparency - yet they demand "tithing settlements" and use priestcraft to manipulate and charge for "temple worthiness" in order to attend family weddings etc. Evil.

There are good things about the church, don't get me wrong, but financial dealings is not one of them.