A positive article

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
FiveFingerMnemonic

A positive article

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:32 pm

If only the author had the background stories behind our homogeneous results. Hard to argue with the numbers though.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... ream-alive

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: A positive article

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:25 pm

Welfare square tours for journalists reminds me of the North Korean propaganda factory tours quite a bit, except welfare square actually does produce some stuff.

Newme

Post by Newme » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:26 am

Interesting. I liked the point about how children do generally do better when raised by a mom and dad, and also community volunteers helping in charity - with practical needs like the bishop's storehouse.

Some things I like about Mormonism is the practicality and everyone pitching in to help out.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:02 pm

Newme wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:26 am
Interesting. I liked the point about how children do generally do better when raised by a mom and dad, and also community volunteers helping in charity - with practical needs like the bishop's storehouse.

Some things I like about Mormonism is the practicality and everyone pitching in to help out.
We cannot overlook the fact the Mormonism does a few things surprisingly well. For all the concern over the effects of patriarchy, this is one area that the patriarchy seems to work for the group as a whole (Kate Kelly notwithstanding).

Newme

Post by Newme » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:11 am

Corsair wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:02 pm
Newme wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:26 am

We cannot overlook the fact the Mormonism does a few things surprisingly well. For all the concern over the effects of patriarchy, this is one area that the patriarchy seems to work for the group as a whole (Kate Kelly notwithstanding).
Yeah, I agree. Even though I personally believe that each of us have healing abilities (not just men), I also realize that priesthood probably motivates men to serve more than they might otherwise. And that's a good thing!