MiniVan Recomendations

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Korihor

MiniVan Recomendations

Post by Korihor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:50 am

Oh People of NOM, hear the words of my mouth.

Looks like we're car shopping, for a minivan. If you have one: What is it, what do you like/dislike, would you buy it again?
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: MiniVan Recomendations

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:54 pm

I highly recommend whichever make/model/year you narrow it down to, check the forums for specific recalls or known issues. It would have saved me a few headaches had I done this prior to buying my last one.

Features I like or would prefer:
Stowable rear seating
electric rear door
Backup camera (for newer ones)
Leather seats (easier to keep clean than cloth)
Integrated video player for the kids on long trips
Last edited by FiveFingerMnemonic on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:55 pm

We bought a 2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L back in Dec. of 2002. It now has 245,000 miles on it. It's been a great vehicle, relatively trouble free over the years. We have simply worn it out and it is now on its last legs. If we were in the market for another minivan, we would buy another one in a heartbeat. We're thinking about replacing it with a 2017 Toyota Highlander. From what we've seen of the Highlander, we really like it. We go back and forth on new vs. used. Not sure which we'll do this time. Also, for a minivan the Toyota Sienna is pretty nice too.
'
Good luck!

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:02 pm

Use consumer reports to get their recommendation on used and new vans, check the repair/reliability records on there in the price range you are looking for and make a list of those years, makes and models you think will work best for your fam and budget. Then go shopping on KSL Cars.

I had a Chrysler Town and Country for a few years when we had young kids and it had a lot of utility. Could take the seats out and get 4x8 sheets of drywall and plywood back there.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:30 pm

What? You're 4 kids shy of needing a mini van!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:32 pm

We had a town and country years ago and it was terrible. The air/heat had problems and many other things. It didn't last very long.

We bought a Toyota Sienna in 2010(2011) and I still love it. It is great for camping, traveling, and hauling a bunch of kids back and forth to school. Leather seats and a back up camera.
We have had almost no trouble. There are a few recalls, one was for the rear seats and there is something about the side doors that they have not fixed yet but all vehicles have recalls right?

Anyway, I would buy the sienna all over again.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:58 am

Odyssey or a Sienna. Unfortunately the American made minivans are just not as high quality. Odyssey was a bit of a better value, but we got a gently used Sienna and are super happy with it.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:58 am

Odyssey or a Sienna. Unfortunately the American made minivans are just not as high quality. Odyssey was a bit of a better value, but we got a gently used Sienna and are super happy with it.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:53 am

There was a thread almost exactly like this on NOM 1.0 just before it went POOF!

The consensus of that thread was the Toyota Sienna. (That could have been based on the year of the vehicle - vs the Honda Odyssey. Where are you GR8Team?)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:17 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:53 am
There was a thread almost exactly like this on NOM 1.0 just before it went POOF!
I remember.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:10 pm

Thanks for all the thoughts. The opinions here seem to echo Consumer Reports. The Sienna is the highest rated.

I've been leaning toward a Dodge Grand Caravan. I don't plan to keep this next vehicle till it dies but for 3-5 years. A 1 year old used Caravan loaded with about 20k miles can be had for about $18k. About $10k cheaper than the japanese offerings. If we were going to "keep it till it dies" I'd go honda or toyota. But I just wanted to make sure no one had a horror story on the dodge before it hit 80k miles.

The logic is, whether we get the Dodge, Toyota or Honda, we would burn about $8k in depreciation over the next 4-ish years. The difference being layout out $18k or $28k today.

As a side note, I'm tired of fixing cars. I'm moving past that phase of my life. I'd rather get something replaced every so many years and pay a couple bucks extra instead of spending time on my back in the garage. Since we're looking at new or almost new minivans, I'd expect any selection to go 3-5 years without major issues. (that couldn't be said for Dodge in the early 2000's)

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:37 pm

Had a '09 Grand Caravan. Sold it last November with 120K on it. It was starting to have a number of issues. What I understand, the '12's and newer (under Fiat) are much better for reliability, so don't get an older one.

At least look at a Ford Transit Connect. You can get a lot of minivan for the money.

Something else to consider is things like the backup cam and DVD player systems can be added after the fact. Your local car stereo shop can probably put both in for $800-1,000. So don't pass up a good deal on a minivan because it doesn't have those pre-installed. You may be able to install them later on and still save money over the higher end model.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

document

Post by document » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:34 am

I've owned two Kia Sedonas and LOVED them.

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:38 pm

Lithium Sunset wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:32 pm
We had a town and country years ago and it was terrible. The air/heat had problems and many other things. It didn't last very long.
I'm sorry for your troubles, but my old boss, who is among the people I have met in life for whom I have the most disdain, drove a Town and Country. Thank you for your service in providing me this bit of schadenfreude, tiny as it may be.

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:48 pm

Korihor wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:10 pm
I've been leaning toward a Dodge Grand Caravan. I don't plan to keep this next vehicle till it dies but for 3-5 years. A 1 year old used Caravan loaded with about 20k miles can be had for about $18k. About $10k cheaper than the japanese offerings. If we were going to "keep it till it dies" I'd go honda or toyota. But I just wanted to make sure no one had a horror story on the dodge before it hit 80k miles.
We have an '11 Dodge Grand Caravan. We bought it in '12 with about 18k miles, and now it has just over 70k. It's been okay. There was one major recall where they had to top-half the engine for something, but it was all covered under warranty. Of course the warranty is over now, so I'm crossing my fingers. I've had to replace the battery twice, which seems odd, but really no issues to speak of yet. My brothers families both have Siennas, and my sister has an Odyssey. They paid a lot more than we did for a comparable vehicle.

That said, I'm not planning to keep this van much beyond 100k miles, so if it gets me there it will have served my needs.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:29 am

document wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:34 am
I've looked into these. My trouble is I can't find many of them. The new vehicle price is in the same mix as a higher end dodge or entry level toyota. The low mileage used ones are hard to find and the few available have a price I think is a bit too high.

Consumer reports puts them higher on the list than the dodge.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:54 am

Korihor wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:29 am
document wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:34 am
I've looked into these. My trouble is I can't find many of them. The new vehicle price is in the same mix as a higher end dodge or entry level toyota. The low mileage used ones are hard to find and the few available have a price I think is a bit too high.

Consumer reports puts them higher on the list than the dodge.
As far as price goes, a new Kia will come with a MUCH better warranty than a Dodge, Toyota, or any other mini-van maker. (And if you're lucky, you might find a lease-buy-back / factory certified used one, which will be covered under the remaining warranty...)

I'm almost to the point where I don't really consider anything other than Hyundai and Kia. You get more bells and whistles for the money, and they actually stand behind their vehicles with a better warranty than the "big names".

There's that, and the fact that my wife literally "drives" her vehicles right into their graves... (Wait, did I type that out-loud? Hi Hunny! :ugeek: )
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:14 am

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:54 am
As far as price goes, a new Kia will come with a MUCH better warranty than a Dodge, Toyota, or any other mini-van maker. (And if you're lucky, you might find a lease-buy-back / factory certified used one, which will be covered under the remaining warranty...)

I'm almost to the point where I don't really consider anything other than Hyundai and Kia. You get more bells and whistles for the money, and they actually stand behind their vehicles with a better warranty than the "big names".

There's that, and the fact that my wife literally "drives" her vehicles right into their graves... (Wait, did I type that out-loud? Hi Hunny! :ugeek: )
I haven't had a Hyundai in about 10 years, but by FIL has one, so this is from him. The problem with the Hyundai/Kia warranty is that they are very particular about the required service. You have to have all service done at the dealership and have it inspected every 30,000 miles. Those inspections run between $300 and $600 USD. Failing to get everything from the dealer and at the correct time voids that warranty. Even then I have known them to fight warranty claims. I know several people who had to take them to court or warranty issue.

If you go that route, make sure you ask a LOT of questions on exactly what they require to maintain the warranty and how much it will cost and factor that into your budget.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

document

Post by document » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:39 am

I've always bought used, so the manufacturer's warranty has never really worked out for me, anyway.

Chevy wouldn't have anything to do with me, neither would Kia, neither would Hyundai (my current car).

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Enoch Witty wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:38 pm
I'm sorry for your troubles, but my old boss, who is among the people I have met in life for whom I have the most disdain, drove a Town and Country. Thank you for your service in providing me this bit of schadenfreude, tiny as it may be.
Haha, Anytime.