The Good News Thread

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Give It Time

The Good News Thread

Post by Give It Time » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:46 pm

I want to start a thread where we can shout out some of the good things in our lives.

I am decluttering my house. I am playing this game.

http://www.theminimalists.com/game/

I've been doing it since February. By the time the end of April rolls around, I will have jettisoned about 1500 items. I've adapted it to yardwork and putting things away, as well.

My older son is on a self-initiated, self-guided tour of the Orient. He is having a fantastic time in Bangkok. I miss him. I'm worried and I'm a little bit jealous.

My younger son has been accepted to a University. I won't say where, but I did receive some sticker shock as to the amount and timing of paying. The plans I had in mind will have to be reworked. Still, proud as all heck of him.

I'm having a blast figuring out the tuition challenge. I love finances and solving thorny problems. My ex is still refusing to help pay, even though I think he's a jerk and I really could use the help and he's in a better position. Blah, blah, blah. I'm honestly relishing this. I prophecy that this experience will bring me and my son closer. We'll be accomplishing this big thing together.

I could go on, but that's enough for now.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Lithium Sunset

Re: The Good News Thread

Post by Lithium Sunset » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:43 am

"When you buy something that you don't need -even if it costs you one dollar- you have paid a much greater price. Not only have you wasted your money and given yourself yet another thing to take care of (dusting, storing, fixing, etc.) but you will have created the nuisance of either having to return it or find another home for it."
Getting rid of stuff and living more simply is so liberating. It feels great to be doing the Earth some good by making a personal change. It has changed the way I buy gifts too.

Good news... Well, I am really enjoying earning A's in college. No matter how many people told me I was smart and had value blah blah, I never believed them. I became too scared to go back to college but circumstances demanded it and surprise surprise I am doing well. My professors love having a responsible student haha. I wish I didn't have to go for four full years to earn my independence but still.. I am gaining confidence everyday. (College is partly just a rip off but I'm playing the game nonetheless). I am also following my intuition. I'm learning to trust myself and that is a very good thing. And I have a support system now. I have a group of people I can truly depend on plus a great counselor. Plus I am not isolated anymore.

Other good news, My son is more stable. He has adjusted to his depression medicine and seems happy again. Happier than he has been in years. I am sure it is not just the medicine but all the support and counseling as well but it's hard to believe he spent all of December secretly researching suicide and he might have carried through with it on that January night. I am nervous the good times might not last but I am also enjoying his new lease on life.
Other good news... hmmm... I have a cat haha. That is good news indeed! :D

Life is hard some days. Damn hard. Yet if happiness is a state of mind, and not a destination... I think I'm there.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:28 pm

Lithium Sunset wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:43 am
"When you buy something that you don't need -even if it costs you one dollar- you have paid a much greater price. Not only have you wasted your money and given yourself yet another thing to take care of (dusting, storing, fixing, etc.) but you will have created the nuisance of either having to return it or find another home for it."
Getting rid of stuff and living more simply is so liberating. It feels great to be doing the Earth some good by making a personal change. It has changed the way I buy gifts too.

Good news... Well, I am really enjoying earning A's in college. No matter how many people told me I was smart and had value blah blah, I never believed them. I became too scared to go back to college but circumstances demanded it and surprise surprise I am doing well. My professors love having a responsible student haha. I wish I didn't have to go for four full years to earn my independence but still.. I am gaining confidence everyday. (College is partly just a rip off but I'm playing the game nonetheless). I am also following my intuition. I'm learning to trust myself and that is a very good thing. And I have a support system now. I have a group of people I can truly depend on plus a great counselor. Plus I am not isolated anymore.

Other good news, My son is more stable. He has adjusted to his depression medicine and seems happy again. Happier than he has been in years. I am sure it is not just the medicine but all the support and counseling as well but it's hard to believe he spent all of December secretly researching suicide and he might have carried through with it on that January night. I am nervous the good times might not last but I am also enjoying his new lease on life.
Other good news... hmmm... I have a cat haha. That is good news indeed! :D

Life is hard some days. Damn hard. Yet if happiness is a state of mind, and not a destination... I think I'm there.
This is great stuff! When I was young and broke and first learning about money, I had the revelation that a dollar saved isn't just a dollar earned. It's a dollar + tithing I don't need to pay + taxes I don't need to pay. In fact, most of the time I don't have to put much, if any, extra effort into saving that dollar. The best "raise" I can give myself is to spend less money.

At this time, I also discovered simplicity. Not the off-the-grid kind, but just owning fewer possessions and unplugging from the commerce machine. I think the name of the book was Fifty Simple Things You Can Do To Simplify Your Life, and I've pretty much held to that philosophy ever since, but I did relax considerably for my children. The current trend of minimalism is essentially the same idea, but there's now an element of competitiveness to it, I don't think the current gurus intended.

[As an aside, I like the tiny houses, but have come to the conclusion they are so small, they're probably inconvenient to live in. Fun to look at, though, and I like to get space saving ideas from them.]

How fantastic you're going back to school and doing so well! I agree with you that college is a bit of a rip-off, but not all of us are Steve Jobs and human resources managers just don't seem to really understand alternate paths. So, a degree is necessary. You'll be proud of yourself when you have it. It's a big accomplishment.

How wonderful your son is doing better. I had no idea he was going through what you mentioned. It's good news you caught it, took it seriously and got him help. One thing your son cannot doubt is your love for him and your desire for his continued presence. That should be a huge factor.

I have a cat, too. I wanted to mention her, but her big news is she has managed to stay out of the vet's office for a few months (other than her vaccinations). I think she's going to be one of those animals who has a bowl with her name on it at that office. Come to think of it, I should get her a toy for Easter. Yes, I'm a a pushover for her.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:52 pm

I had a great conversation with my wife. She is so much leads TBM than I thought or is slowly changing. We didn't get into specifics but since it was my birthday she couldnt get mad at me. It was awesome. She admitted she was never a literal believer in A&E, Noah, etc... And hates polygamy and early leader manipulation. She said D&C is convenient for JS and can't stand it.

She asked what I believe and I kept it simple but left out obvious Mormon items. I told her I am completely committed to her and willing to play the Mormon game, but on my terms. I am not sure what those things are yet but I don't feel bad for drinking coffee and the temple will not be a big part of my future. I want to take family weekend trips while the summer weather is good and not worry about church/Sabbath. I also told he I cannot do stake PH meetings. They are worse than Pack Meeting (look up the recent viral video about pack meeting being boring). She was all on board.

We live in very Mormon eastern Idaho so consequences for not being card carrying are possible so I am not sure exactly what the next steps are. I will probably be closeted for now, but see how this vs go with her.

Also I had a great conversation with a few of my daughters about evolution and the big bang vs the OT stories. I told them that it is okay that they don't jibe but that the scriptures are not supposed to be historical or biological books. They can still be beneficial and uplifting even if they are not accurate.

Anyway, that is some good news for me!

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:36 am

MalcolmVillager wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:52 pm
I had a great conversation with my wife. She is so much leads TBM than I thought or is slowly changing. We didn't get into specifics but since it was my birthday she couldnt get mad at me. It was awesome. She admitted she was never a literal believer in A&E, Noah, etc... And hates polygamy and early leader manipulation. She said D&C is convenient for JS and can't stand it.

She asked what I believe and I kept it simple but left out obvious Mormon items. I told her I am completely committed to her and willing to play the Mormon game, but on my terms. I am not sure what those things are yet but I don't feel bad for drinking coffee and the temple will not be a big part of my future. I want to take family weekend trips while the summer weather is good and not worry about church/Sabbath. I also told he I cannot do stake PH meetings. They are worse than Pack Meeting (look up the recent viral video about pack meeting being boring). She was all on board.

We live in very Mormon eastern Idaho so consequences for not being card carrying are possible so I am not sure exactly what the next steps are. I will probably be closeted for now, but see how this vs go with her.

Also I had a great conversation with a few of my daughters about evolution and the big bang vs the OT stories. I told them that it is okay that they don't jibe but that the scriptures are not supposed to be historical or biological books. They can still be beneficial and uplifting even if they are not accurate.

Anyway, that is some good news for me!
This is terrific news! Know what I've found as a NOM? I've found that people feel they can be more honest with me about doubts they may have. It may not necessarily be doubts to them, but they recognize what they believe might not align with the church and they can share those thoughts with me. They know I won't preach to them one way or another.

I've also found that the likelihood for drama increases as an area becomes more religiously homogeneous. I live in Utah County. Once I step outside my home, I'm going to encounter drama. In my home, there'll be disagreements, but there doesn't have to be so much drama.

I see your news as an increase in your family being able to communicate with you honestly and a general decrease of drama in your home. Both are fantastic! Terrific news!

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:45 pm

My son has been accepted to a good school with their top scholarship. The best part is that it's out of state, meaning that he'll finally get away from Utah County. His older sister already fled to California so there's not much keeping us here. All of us successfully out of the church and maybe soon out of the Morcor!
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:28 pm

At this time, I also discovered simplicity. Not the off-the-grid kind, but just owning fewer possessions and unplugging from the commerce machine.
[As an aside, I like the tiny houses, but have come to the conclusion they are so small, they're probably inconvenient to live in. Fun to look at, though, and I like to get space saving ideas from them.]

How wonderful your son is doing better. I had no idea he was going through what you mentioned. It's good news you caught it, took it seriously and got him help. One thing your son cannot doubt is your love for him and your desire for his continued presence. That should be a huge factor.

I have a cat, too. I wanted to mention her, but her big news is she has managed to stay out of the vet's office for a few months (other than her vaccinations). I think she's going to be one of those animals who has a bowl with her name on it at that office. Come to think of it, I should get her a toy for Easter. Yes, I'm a a pushover for her.
I agree completely. I am not looking to live off the grid (although I'd be willing to try it for a weekend). As far as tiny(mobile) houses go, I don't think I would enjoy it too much either. Maybe if I could have guaranteed plumbing. I adore plumbing and I am not sure why it doesn't have a holiday to celebrate it.
I had commented on someone else's thread about my son. I stupidly said I know what your going through which always feels rude but I didn't have it in me to write my own thread and felt I had a pretty good grasp of the pain he was feeling as a parent.
My son had stayed up all night writing good bye notes but instead of... he climbed into bed with me. A friend said Imagine what would have happened if you pushed him out of your bed. Ah...I love her... and have said my share of dumb comments. When he started to feel better he said to me that he couldn't believe that a few weeks before he truly thought no one would miss him or cared.
I lost my 15 year old cat Jan 2016. That was so hard. I wasn't myself until I got another cat to adore(who is the most playful 2yr old I ever met). I still miss her but she was in a lot of pain at the end. I hope your kitty feels better! And I had to really get a grip in spoiling her with toys haha. All my progress almost went out the window and I still have my eye on the litter robot haha.
That's what's great about animals. No manipulation, no lies, no spite (someone who has had a cat pee on their stuff might disagree or had a puppy chew up their shoe) but pets usually have a good reason for why they do certain things that drive us crazy.

Congrats Jinx!
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:31 pm

Jinx wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:45 pm
My son has been accepted to a good school with their top scholarship. The best part is that it's out of state, meaning that he'll finally get away from Utah County. His older sister already fled to California so there's not much keeping us here. All of us successfully out of the church and maybe soon out of the Morcor!
Congratulations to your son and the rest of your family! My son didn't even have an LDS school on his list of schools. He has a testimony, but I think part of him realizes that heavily populated Mormon areas are just too intense.

I like your avatar. That really describes the journey.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Lithium Sunset wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:36 pm
Give It Time wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:28 pm

At this time, I also discovered simplicity. Not the off-the-grid kind, but just owning fewer possessions and unplugging from the commerce machine.

I agree completely. I am not looking to live off the grid (although I'd be willing to try it for a weekend). As far as tiny(mobile) houses go, I don't think I would enjoy it too much either. Maybe if I could have guaranteed plumbing. I adore plumbing and I am not sure why it doesn't have a holiday to celebrate it.
I had commented on someone else's thread about my son. I stupidly said I know what your going through which always feels rude but I didn't have it in me to write my own thread and felt I had a pretty good grasp of the pain he was feeling as a parent.
My son had stayed up all night writing good bye notes but instead of... he climbed into bed with me. A friend said Imagine what would have happened if you pushed him out of your bed. Ah...I love her... and have said my share of dumb comments. When he started to feel better he said to me that he couldn't believe that a few weeks before he truly thought no one would miss him or cared.
I lost my 15 year old cat Jan 2016. That was so hard. I wasn't myself until I got another cat to adore(who is the most playful 2yr old I ever met). I still miss her but she was in a lot of pain at the end. I hope your kitty feels better! And I had to really get a grip in spoiling her with toys haha. All my progress almost went out the window and I still have my eye on the litter robot haha.
That's what's great about animals. No manipulation, no lies, no spite (someone who has had a cat pee on their stuff might disagree or had a puppy chew up their shoe) but pets usually have a good reason for why they do certain things that drive us crazy.

Congrats Jinx!
Our previous cat was fourteen when she died. We were devastated. Our present girl is rambunctious. She's gotten nasty scratches, she fell in a tub of bleach water. It's more about the adventure for her.

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:17 am

Give It Time wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:33 pm
Our previous cat was fourteen when she died. We were devastated. Our present girl is rambunctious. She's gotten nasty scratches, she fell in a tub of bleach water. It's more about the adventure for her.
Ah, cheeky girl haha!

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Wed May 17, 2017 9:58 am

I've had a bad joint for about a year (elbow) that hurts so much sometimes when I do curls that it feels like the tendons are about to snap. Medical science has no real answers, so before I committed to injecting cortisol I decided to gamble with acupuncture. After five treatments and a few weeks I'm able to do full motion workouts on both the triceps and the biceps. Still some pain, and certainly not "cured" but remarkable improvement.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Wed May 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Settling into the new area. Back in the Morcor, but I see things through a different lense and it has been refreshing.

DW bought me some of my favorite Gap brand undies. This is a big step.

My old Jeep is feeling better this month. It fluctuates.

I am finding some great podcasts, lots of ideas.

Cycling season is at hand.

Great thread.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed May 17, 2017 10:57 pm

MJ and RG, those were both great to read! Love improvements. Health is so important. That sense of contentment with the small things, to me, is what it's all about.