New Basset Hounds!

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
achilles

New Basset Hounds!

Post by achilles » Mon May 01, 2017 7:13 pm

So we adopted two more bassets today. Lulu and Pumpkin are sweethearts, and I think it's going to be a good thing!
Lulu and Pumpkin.jpg
Lulu and Pumpkin.jpg (45.81 KiB) Viewed 7033 times
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Lithium Sunset

Re: New Basset Hounds!

Post by Lithium Sunset » Mon May 01, 2017 9:30 pm

Haha, they are so cute! The ultimate puppy dog face and I love those floppy ears.
I recently had to write a research paper on the pursuit of happiness and I picked the topic of animals with the question- can domestic animals replace our fundamental need for human interaction/support. Bummer, they can't, but they sure do make the world a better place for us. Dogs are amazing and true friends :)

(disclaimer- cats are great too!! and can give you a lot of love in return haha, says this cat person)
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Tue May 02, 2017 11:24 am

Congrats
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue May 02, 2017 1:39 pm

WOOF! :mrgreen:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue May 02, 2017 2:00 pm

Gyuh, gyuh, gyuh
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Tue May 02, 2017 8:23 pm

Aww, they are so cute! Love hounds!
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

achilles

Post by achilles » Wed May 03, 2017 3:09 pm

nibbler wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 2:00 pm
Gyuh, gyuh, gyuh
Is that Boss Hogg's Dog?
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

achilles

Post by achilles » Wed May 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Lulu and Pumpkin have been here for a couple of days. Here's what I've discovered so far.

Pumpkin is the more outgoing one. (She's the one on the right.) I wasn't crazy about the name at first, but it has grown on me.

Lulu is very--introspective. I believe she has some deep sadness about her past. I hope that we can help her adjust and give her some happiness.

The two are actual sisters from the same litter. They are incredibly sweet. There was some worry that they wouldn't get along with the cat, but they have done well. Lulu cares about her sister a lot. When Pumpkin cries, Lulu goes to comfort her by licking her face.

Peabody has been lonely since Mindy's death last September. see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=72&p=1539&hilit=basset#p1539 He has also begun to go deaf. He doesn't seem to be upset about it--we have been teaching him hand signs and using all of his other senses to communicate. I think he's apprehensive about the change, but I feel he will accept and bond with the girls. I think he feels old compared to the others. The girls can run and jump all over the place, but he needs help. He's my little boy, and I know his death will be terrible, although no pet loss has ever affected me like the loss of Mindy.
Mr. P.JPG
Mr. P.JPG (20.71 KiB) Viewed 6977 times
They love the yard and the Japanese garden. They also like to sniff around the beginnings of the Cottage garden and Rocky Mountain garden. They hate it when I go outside the fence to work on the vegetables or the orchard. Peabody knows the drill...I always come back!

― Carl Sagan

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Wed May 03, 2017 6:03 pm

achilles wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 3:21 pm
They love the yard and the Japanese garden. They also like to sniff around the beginnings of the Cottage garden and Rocky Mountain garden.
Uh, I think we derseve a group picture of them in any or all of these gardens... particularly the Japanese garden!

Sorry about Mindy...
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri May 05, 2017 12:43 pm

What cute fur-babies!!!!! Congrats!!!
Lithium Sunset wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 6:03 pm
achilles wrote:
They love the yard and the Japanese garden. They also like to sniff around the beginnings of the Cottage garden and Rocky Mountain garden.
Uh, I think we derseve a group picture of them in any or all of these gardens... particularly the Japanese garden!

Sorry about Mindy...
And yes to this too^^^
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Can of Worms

Post by Can of Worms » Fri May 05, 2017 7:33 pm

So adorable. Thanks for sharing.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” Winston Churchill

achilles

Post by achilles » Sat May 06, 2017 11:01 am

MoPag wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 12:43 pm
What cute fur-babies!!!!! Congrats!!!
Lithium Sunset wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 6:03 pm
achilles wrote:

Sorry about Mindy...
And yes to this too^^^
I'll have to start carrying my phone on me outside--I usually don't have it with me when the perfect "moment" comes up.

― Carl Sagan