You have been warned!!

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Punjab

You have been warned!!

Post by Punjab » Fri May 05, 2017 9:25 pm

So, our newly called Stake President has been sending out LONG, epistle sounding letters to all the Stake members. They've all pretty much
been related to upcoming Stake and Ward conferences, however, tonight he sent out the one below. Believes in the magic strongly, this one.

Dear Brothers and Sisters:

A few weeks ago I awoke to an impression that I should ask members of the stake to store plenty of water. Please make sure you have stored enough for yourself, your family and for others should an emergency arise. I am not predicting a crisis but I am trying to act on promptings as they come from the Lord. A few days without electricity and water in our area would be a very serious situation for all.

As I have discussed this with members and leaders many have had similar feelings. Our stake emergency preparedness committee was kind enough to provide the information below on water storage. May God bless you and know of our love for you as a stake presidency.

With Gratitude and love,

President Porter

achilles

Re: You have been warned!!

Post by achilles » Sat May 06, 2017 11:13 am

To be fair--everyone probably needs to have at least 72 hours of water for each person in the household. 1 gallon/per person/per day seems to be the consensus. The 7 gallon jugs are great--just get one for each person in the family and you're set for a week. There are many emergencies that could cut off the water supply for a few days.

On the "impression" business: I don't really know what to think about it at this point. Is it God? Is it the Spirit? Is it my subconscious mind telling me I'm afraid about something? One thing is for sure: I like being prepared, but I don't like paranoia about Armageddon. It could easily become a self-fulfilling prophecy, and I'm not even sure Armageddon isn't just first century Jewish fantasies about the end of the world. Even the Vikings had Ragnarok.

Mormon culture can be very fearful (hence E Uchtdorf's recent talk), and I have put off the fears I was taught growing up in a small town near the Utah/Idaho border. It doesn't help to have unquestioned leaders stirring it up.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat May 06, 2017 11:39 am

Just curious.

Does he happen to be your city's water czar?
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

achilles

Post by achilles » Sat May 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 11:39 am
Just curious.

Does he happen to be your city's water czar?
:shock:
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat May 06, 2017 10:26 pm

Punjab, I've got 22,000 in my backyard if you run out.

Just stop by with your 55 gallon blue barrel.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Sat May 06, 2017 11:00 pm

Punjab wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:25 pm
President Porter
Porter...I don't want to out you Punjab, but would this happen to be a Stake in the south east corner of Weber County?

Probably not, because that Porter has been in for a couple of years now.

Anyway, there are some pretty zealous sky is falling last days folks in this area. Even though I'm out, and I don't believe in the 2nd coming and biblical doomsday, I still like the fact I have 6-12 months of dehydrated meals that have a 25 year shelf life, plenty of water and water sources nearby with the ability to filter and or boil. I worry more about attacks on our electrical grid because it's pretty vulnerable and not in very good shape right now. Wouldn't take much to disrupt our interdependent fragile jenga pile of an economy.
Last edited by RubinHighlander on Sun May 07, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

achilles

Post by achilles » Sun May 07, 2017 8:00 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 11:00 pm
I worry more about attacks on our electrical grid because it's pretty vulnerable and not in very good shape right now. Would take much to disrupt our interdependent fragile jenga pile of an economy.
Exactly. It is INSANE to me that we are dragging our feet on updating our infrastructure.

― Carl Sagan

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed May 10, 2017 2:11 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 10:26 pm

I've got several thousand gallons in my backyard as well. I've got 12 chickens whose egg laying days would be instantly cut short. Given our stage of parenting, we have bulk granola bars, fruit snacks, apple juice and string cheese to constitute a 72 hour kit.

If shiz ever hits the fan, I'm much more concerned about gasoline. If the doomsday apocalypse comes, I'm getting the hell out of Phoenix. I'd run out of gasoline before I ever run out of water/food. No way I'm sitting around here eating cactus and lizards while waiting for Jesus to show up and put an end to armageddon.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Thu May 11, 2017 5:07 am

Hah, water IS our most probable problem !!!
What use is ANY storage when flooded under 18 feet of seawater anyway.

Dutch people Always shrug a bit when `Muricans come and lecture us about foodstorage.
America had Katrina, and many hurricanes as a warning and yet the USACOE didn´t do diddly squat to prevent the disaster.
I happily pay to keep my feet dry......
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Thu May 11, 2017 5:31 am

If all Stake Presidents would do what this stake president did, then eventually, one of them will be right. Then we'll have an awesome story for some 70 to share in general conference.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Punjab

Post by Punjab » Sun May 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Red Ryder wrote:

Better yet, how about I just leave AZ again for a few years? I just interviewed for a couple of positions back in the Midwest. Plenty of water and less pressure to be at church on Sundays. Should be nice.

Punjab

Post by Punjab » Sun May 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Meilingkie wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 5:07 am
Hah, water IS our most probable problem !!!
What use is ANY storage when flooded under 18 feet of seawater anyway.

Dutch people Always shrug a bit when `Muricans come and lecture us about foodstorage.
America had Katrina, and many hurricanes as a warning and yet the USACOE didn´t do diddly squat to prevent the disaster.
I happily pay to keep my feet dry......
A couple of years ago we finally helped my in-laws throw away 30+ year old food storage at the local landfill...over 1/2 ton of it. I was kind of embarrassed because I was throwing #10 cans out of my pickup truck and everybody around me was tossing construction materials or lawn clippings. I asked one of the workers there if he'd ever seen anybody throwing away food storage and he just laughed. He said it happens ALL THE TIME. He sees people doing it every week because of the HUGE LDS population here. What an absolute waste of food...AND MONEY! I just told him we've all been crazy, but many of us now see the light. I'll never hoard food again.

Punjab

Post by Punjab » Sun May 14, 2017 8:04 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 11:00 pm
Punjab wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:25 pm
President Porter
Porter...I don't want to out you Punjab, but would this happen to be a Stake in the south east corner of Weber County?

Probably not, because that Porter has been in for a couple of years now.

Anyway, there are some pretty zealous sky is falling last days folks in this area. Even though I'm out, and I don't believe in the 2nd coming and biblical doomsday, I still like the fact I have 6-12 months of dehydrated meals that have a 25 year shelf life, plenty of water and water sources nearby with the ability to filter and or boil. I worry more about attacks on our electrical grid because it's pretty vulnerable and not in very good shape right now. Wouldn't take much to disrupt our interdependent fragile jenga pile of an economy.
No, he's a new SP here in Mesa. This wasn't his first over the top letter to the members here. I can't believe his level of zealousness. Most other guys his age have mellowed.

Same here on the food storage. I now keep a reasonable amount of very long term storage items and enough water for a few weeks. I just refuse to get back into that crazy year or 2 year storage fantasy. So much waste because most of us just aren't mentally disposed to rotating, etc.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun May 14, 2017 8:20 pm

There seems to be a large population of stake presidents named Porter. I know a few myself. Porters must be a stalwart pioneer breed.

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Sun May 14, 2017 8:42 pm

Korihor wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 2:11 pm
Red Ryder wrote:

I've got several thousand gallons in my backyard as well. I've got 12 chickens whose egg laying days would be instantly cut short. Given our stage of parenting, we have bulk granola bars, fruit snacks, apple juice and string cheese to constitute a 72 hour kit.

If shiz ever hits the fan, I'm much more concerned about gasoline. If the doomsday apocalypse comes, I'm getting the hell out of Phoenix. I'd run out of gasoline before I ever run out of water/food. No way I'm sitting around here eating cactus and lizards while waiting for Jesus to show up and put an end to armageddon.
We've got about 18,000 gallons and a nice high vantage point roof line. Unfortunately, we had to get rid of the honey- making operation that had taken up residence in our eaves a few weeks ago.

We, and a very large number of the Tucson population, know of a very nice box canyon in the Catalinas with a good deer herd and year round water.
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon May 29, 2017 8:25 pm

I hate doomsday religions, and I have little use for a God who wants to cause that kind of devestation and pain. Why does Jesus always have to tear everything apart before he comes? How about a God who is going to help fix things without going on a tirade first. I would like that God
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Tue May 30, 2017 5:49 pm

Korihor wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 2:11 pm
No way I'm sitting around here eating cactus and lizards while waiting for Jesus to show up and put an end to armageddon.
Spoken like a true apostate who knows who's gonna get destroyed first ! :lol:

Punjab, your SP had a case of translocatory revelation. My building's running water will be cut for two days!