Cigars

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Korihor

Cigars

Post by Korihor » Thu May 25, 2017 9:04 am

As several of here have shared varying experiences regarding adult beverages, I was wondering if anyone has tried the finer side of tobacco?

Honestly, I'm not interested in smoking. One of my friends nearby (who recently resigned) and I were talking and we discussed the Mary Jane and Cigars.
He has tried both and is a proponent of weed used appropriately. But I was surprised by his opinion of cigars.

I admit, it's something I'd be curious to try before I die. But the desire is near zero at this point in time.

Anyone willing to share their experience/thoughts if they've tried one or more?

Or anyone have an opinion about it one way or the other?
Last edited by Korihor on Thu May 25, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

wtfluff

Re: Cigars

Post by wtfluff » Thu May 25, 2017 9:19 am

A formerly mormon co-worker of mine has become a cigar aficionado.

He has offered to instruct me in the art of the cigar.

Like you, I have no desire.

I guess that's my opinion, which doesn't help much with your questions, or maybe it does.

I do know that when first trying it out, it can tend to make you sick, so, as with other so-called vices: Go slow.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu May 25, 2017 4:16 pm

I've only smoked a few cigars in my life so I'm no expert. Here's what I know from experience: The nicotine can make you dizzy and nauseated if you are not a regular smoker, so maybe only a half dozen small puffs to start. Some of the flavors are okay, the sweeter flavors are the best to start with. You shouldn't take the smoke into the lungs like cigs, just into the mouth then out. I've had no desire to actually go and buy them and use them on a regular basis, but would not hesitate to light one up with friends if offered one.

MJ on the other hand - big fan of the edibles, usually just every other weekend, especially when doing yard work. I've smoked with friends on occasion, but my lungs do not like that much. Smoking is cheapest and fastest high, but edibles are much easier to use. The edibles are also broken into categories, e.g. relaxation/sedative vs silly/activeness. The first time you partake or if it's been a few weeks you might not get much of a buzz because the THC is not yet in your bloodstream. Takes a higher dose the first time, so like two gummies vs. one or a whole chocolate square vs. a half the first time. It's always a good idea to make sure you are not going to have to be responsible for anything important for 2-4 hrs or have to drive anywhere. I've found I can be quite productive in tasks if it's a minor buzz, but like alcohol there's a threshold you have to find for yourself. If I'm too buzzed I just want to each crunchy junk food and watch funny YouTube videos and I get nothing else done. Munchies are the primary side-effect, some folks can also get sleepy when it wears off and maybe a little cotton mouth. It's just a bit different than a buzz from alcohol, like time is a bit out of joint, running a somewhat in slowmo. Be warned that the stupid dad/mom humor will likely increase significantly.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu May 25, 2017 5:28 pm

When I was young and dumb I smoked Tiparillos and Swisher Sweets occasionally. It is such a bad and stinky habit. Be smart follow the Word of Wisdom on this point.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Abinidied

Post by Abinidied » Thu May 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Go for it, Korihor should you feel so inclined. Funny you should bring this up. My oldest son (35yo) handed me a bag to hold with some stuff he bought while we were on a recent holiday. I peeked inside and saw a big fat cigar. He's very open - especially now that I'm transitioned. I was immediately thrown back into TBM mode. Nooooooo ! ! !, I thought very loudly. A cigar! The ultimate symbol of unworthiness.

"What's with this??!!"

"You don't inhale it, Dad. It's all about the experience."

He smoked it by himself on the balcony. I should have joined him, toasted his independence, and thanked him for his open, candid, thoughts that demonstrate how utterly at peace he is with himself. It made me realize just how far away from that peace I am right now with the cog. diss. that flares up fairly frequently. The thought of smoking as a vile, evil vice the church weirdly uses as a benchmark of worthiness still lingers and I have to force myself to see the world differently and stop judging people because they smoke. Sure it's unhealthy. It killed my father-in-law - a guy that would give anyone the shirt off his back. If only I would have looked through the smoke to see the real cowboy behind that cigarette hanging off his lower lip.

It wasn't just the church that made me think smoking was evil. When I was eight (too late to get a free pass for sinning), my older brother took my younger brother and I down to the basement, pulled out a full pack of smokes and some matches and told us we had to smoke them all or he'd do some big brothering on us. It's just what responsible big brothers did back in the sixties. He closed the door and left so we dutifully smoked the whole pack. After turning various shades of greenish grey and puking our guts out, we understood what he was up to. The only time I deviated from that time forward was on scout camps when we sat around the raging fire telling lies and passing around a few drift-wood smokes. I still feel a bit queasy some fifty years on when I smell cigarette smoke, although I think I'll pick up a few sticks of driftwood for our next family reunion.

After all, it's all about the experience.
Cum omnia defecerunt, ludere mortuis. (When all else fails, play dead.)
--Red Green