Who Watches House of Cards?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Mad Jax

Who Watches House of Cards?

Post by Mad Jax » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:39 pm

I've never seen the original British show but I love the Netflix version. I like that they don't have too many mirrors to current politicians; some, of course, such as Claire Underwood sharing some traits with Hilary Clinton (though being far less arrogant and more genuinely interesting) but they don't just lift current events and blend them into a show. The timeline of the characters' political careers have their own identity, I would say.

I'm guessing it isn't as popular here as other shows, but I'm hoping there are others here who like it and would care to talk about it.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Corsair

Re: Who Watches House of Cards?

Post by Corsair » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:37 am

I'm a big fan of "House of Cards". It's fun to watch a rogues gallery of corrupt politicians and power brokers battling each other. The events around the Underwood's rise to power are fascinating. I find myself a little unnerved that the plot points in the show seem both too crazy to occur yet not crazy enough to be inconceivable. I have been reading a history of the Roman empire and these characters would not at all have been out of place. Frank Underwood would have arranged his way into being an effective consul and almost certainly a capable general over the legions on his way into being emperor.

There have been a few plot points that did not make sense, but they did not ruin the show. At one point surveillance of all White House computers is put in place and this is implemented as taking over the cameras on each laptop. But they are not monitoring the contents of each screen leading to worry about what information that one character possessed. In reality they would have simply asked the firewall and proxy team for a review of all traffic to and from this laptop.

A main plot of season 5 surrounds a presidential election. I was left wondering who I would have voted for knowing the character of both candidates. As an average voter I suppose I would have avoided Frank Underwood, but the revelations about the other guy would have been difficult to deal with also. And thus we are back to actual events in the real world election of November 2016.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:02 pm

I love House of Cards, but I'm not binging it. I'm only on the third episode. There's actually something comforting about watching Frank Underwood, because even though he's a murderous psychopath, he's always got a plan, and he's almost always in control. It's a lot less comforting to think that a president has no plan and is just mucking things up because he has no idea what he's doing.

You may enjoy this. Archie is running for congress in the district Frank Underwood represented on the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZsJjqDvSRw
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:05 pm

I'm a big fan. Is the new season out yet?
We watched seasons 1-4 and loved it.

It just makes me hate politicians even more.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:11 pm

Korihor wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:05 pm
I'm a big fan. Is the new season out yet?
We watched seasons 1-4 and loved it.

It just makes me hate politicians even more.
Season 5 was released just a few days ago.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:19 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:37 am
I have been reading a history of the Roman empire and these characters would not at all have been out of place. Frank Underwood would have arranged his way into being an effective consul and almost certainly a capable general over the legions on his way into being emperor.
I feel like his rise to power was more similar to Octavian's although I don't think there are any really close parallels. I tried to find them but I don't see anyone mirroring Rome during the final days of Republic. It would be amazing if it ended with a Sulla figure taking over though (risking the hell out of jumping the shark if the writing isn't up to snuff but if they pulled it off it would be awesome).
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:32 pm

I'm taking my time getting to it. I'm watching more positive things, right now, but I think it is a terrific show.

Stacy Keach is excellent as is Robin Wright and to be a female of my generation who was raised to care about these things.

Claire's clothes are freaking amazing!

I get the powerful female thing, but I honestly don't like her toying with the author. Yet, the moment when Frank Underwood steps up and becomes more presidential, the way she delightedly smoothed his tie while the author looked on was just perfectly played by all parties.

I think the reason I'm not rushing back to it was the way it left off, it stretched credibility for me. However, when I watched the trailer it looked like a good season with more reason built into the convoluted plot.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:10 am

Mad Jax wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:19 pm
I feel like his rise to power was more similar to Octavian's although I don't think there are any really close parallels. I tried to find them but I don't see anyone mirroring Rome during the final days of Republic. It would be amazing if it ended with a Sulla figure taking over though (risking the hell out of jumping the shark if the writing isn't up to snuff but if they pulled it off it would be awesome).
I think you are on the right track. It's probably going to be closer to Julius Caesar with Frank Underwood ending the series being murdered on the senate floor after being declared dictator.

ysidrow

Post by ysidrow » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:00 pm

1/3 through season 5 and I love it, as I always have.