Podcasts Not Related to Mormonism

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Ghost

Podcasts Not Related to Mormonism

Post by Ghost » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:30 pm

I think we might have had a thread like this on the old board, but I don't see one here.

I still don't like the word "podcast," but I guess I have to live with it. Mormon Stories (and later, Mormon Expression) introduced me to the format and I've since branched out a little to listen to other things.

Waking Up

A while back, I was looking for interviews with Jonathan Haidt and discovered that Sam Harris had recorded a conversation with him. Harris happened to be the only one of the so-called "four horsemen" of "new atheism" I had not yet read anything by. I enjoyed his conversation with Haidt, and at this point I have listened to just about his entire run. He chooses his guests well and the topics are always fascinating.

https://www.samharris.org/podcast

Why? Philosophical Discussions about Everyday Life

Jack Russell Weinstein talks with a variety of guests with interesting perspecives. I think I found this one in a random list someone put together of philosophy-related podcasts. Of those I sampled, this is the one that immediately grabbed me. One of the first episodes I listened to happened to be with the writer of one of my college textbooks.

https://philosophyinpubliclife.org/previous-episodes/

The Book Was Better

I'm a little embarrassed to mention this one because it gets kind of vulgar at times. But I guess Infants on Thrones does as well. Anyway, this podcast is from Australia. Luke Milton and different guests talk about novelizations of movies (which, of course, are often quite terrible). I occasionally listen to an episode of this when I want something a little less serious.

http://www.thebookwasbetterpodcast.com/

Any other recommendations?
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corsair

Re: Podcasts Not Related to Mormonism

Post by Corsair » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have really loved The History of Rome. The whole series is complete and I have enjoyed devouring chunks of Roman history through this podcast. The lessons of history still feel revelant today. The Ancient World is similar and I just started on that series. Hardcore History is one of the best history and commentary podcasts around. The host, Dan Carlin, also does an excellent current events and politics podcast called Common Sense.

Philosophize This has been a great introduction to the best philosophers that history has had to offer. It's enough to at least feel comfortable with the basic themes of some foundational thinkers.

Secular Buddhism is a series of lessons on both Buddhist thought and more effective ways to think, act, and live in general.

The Geologic Podcast is about half comedy, but it is produced by a musician in a funk band in Pennsylvania. It is a joy to listen to it. I discovered the Geologic Podcast by listening to The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe which is a science podcast with a rather entertaining groups of hosts. The science is good and the banter among the regular panelists is fantastic.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:56 pm

Corsair wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:39 pm
The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe which is a science podcast with a rather entertaining groups of hosts. The science is good and the banter among the regular panelists is fantastic.
Another vote for The Skeptic's Guide.

A good one for short attention spans: 60 Second Science - Scientific American

I need to jump into something more than just mormon podcasts and the ones I've mentioned above. I think too many mormon themed podcasts are making my slightly depressed. :cry:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:44 pm

Been away and want to catch up on the last 10,000 years? Here is a series of 52 half hour programs narrated by the late UCLA Professor Eugene Weber. The program is called The Western Tradition. It was produced by WGBH Boston with the help of a generous grant from the Annenberg Foundation and viewers like you.

https://www.learner.org/resources/series58.html#
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Lady_Macbeth

Post by Lady_Macbeth » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:29 am

Harry Potter and the Sacred Text

Beautiful Stories from Anonymous People

And another vote for Sam Harris, Hardcore History and Skeptic's Guide.

I only recently started listening to podcasts outside of Mormonism as I, too, saw they were making me depressed.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:05 pm

The latest episode of Sam Harris's podcast might interest some here.

He interviews an organizer of a group for people who have left Islam, and they specifically mention Mormonism several times as a comparison. At one point, Haider (the interviewee) mentions a hope for Islam to reach the point that Mormonism is at now in regards to what it is like for those who leave their faith tradition.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:42 am

I have recently been enjoying "ON BEING with Krista Tippett" and would recommend the episode with theoretical physicist Dr. Brian Green entitled "Reimagining the Cosmos".

IMO the unedited one is better. (Love that you can listen at 2x speed.)
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:43 pm

My favorite is: Reply All, a podcast on the internet (they actually had one episode on how Mormons are leaving the Church due to the internet, they interviewed John Dehlin).
I also like Lance Armstrong's Forward Podcast. I also like listening to Dan Patrick, for a sports fix.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:57 pm

The Memory Palace - short and beautiful stories from American history.

99% Invisible - about the surprising ways design impacts our lives. This one is totally fun.
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:23 pm

Pod Save America

This a very left podcast group. The main guys on it were speech writers for Obama.

Very interesting perspective. As with anything - moderation in all things
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.