Book Series: Age of Unreason

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Mad Jax

Book Series: Age of Unreason

Post by Mad Jax » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:32 pm

It's been a while since anybody has posted a book series recommendation so I thought I'd put one up.

If you haven't read it, I recommend J Gregory Keyes' four book series "Age of Unreason" which begins with Newton's Cannon. I would describe it as follows; an alternate history where many famous figures discover how to make alchemy work, aided by extradimensional beings which historically appeared as figures such as Daeva, Angels, Valkyries, etc (usually calling themselves Malachim). Some of the main figures are Isaac Newton, Benjamin Franklin, Louis XVI, Peter the Great, Leonhard Euler, Voltaire, Adrienne de Mornay de Montchevreuil... it's actually quite a list and engagingly written. I think it probably qualifies in many ways as Steampunk, but it's not quite as overtly so as other book series such as His Dark Materials. I think Keyes' writing style fits the book really well and I highly, highly recommend the series.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Lithium Sunset

Re: Book Series: Age of Unreason

Post by Lithium Sunset » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks for posting this. I'm backed up on my reading list but will definitely add this too it.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder