No insulation

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Korihor

No insulation

Post by Korihor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:10 am

Just a little rant.
We bought our house here in Phoenix from the original owner/builder. After being in the house 2 years now, we've found a few things where they cut corners and/or didn't know what they were doing.

Anyway, as you all know, it's freaking hot here in the summer. I know our attic is lacking sufficient insulation, so I've spent several nights in the attic preparing it for more insulation. But last night was the cherry on top of finding problems with the original construction.

There are two large areas (40sqft each) that have zero insulation. None. They were covered by some plywood so it wasn't readily obvious they were lacking insulation, but holy hell no wonder our house has been so hot. It's like trying to cool your car with the windows down.

Anyway, after making several repairs, adjustment and adding 12" more insulation, I'm expecting a marked improvement this summer.nd adding 12" more insulation, I'm expected a marked improvement this summer.
Last edited by Korihor on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Red Ryder

Re: No insulation

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:28 pm

I would have just told your kids to shut the garage door.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:11 pm

There must be a parable here somewhere.

When we lack insulation, our pipes freeze in the winter.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:25 pm

The parable is some people will try to pull the wool over your eyes any chance they can. Like skimping on insulation or sneaking behind your back and getting sealed to your wife...
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:39 am

2bizE wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:25 pm
The parable is some people will try to pull the wool over your eyes any chance they can. Like skimping on insulation or sneaking behind your back and getting sealed to your wife...
Ha! Maybe you don't know the full story, such as a sword-wielding angel demanding the former owner skimp on attic insulation.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:50 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:39 am
Ha! Maybe you don't know the full story, such as a sword-wielding angel demanding the former owner skimp on attic insulation.
"Sword-wielding angel" sounds like a convenient scapeogoat for "saving money in a sketchy way". This makes certain incidents in church history a little more complicated if divine beings were simply calling for preserving precious tithing funds.

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:47 pm

When we cut out our sliding glass door to put in a French door, we found that there wasn't any insulation board under the stucco, just wall board. Pretty sure the whole house is that way. There is R30 insulation in the ceiling and walls from what we've seen due to the polybutylene pipes we've had spring leaks. But who the hell builds stucco houses without the insulation board?
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot