Required alcohol

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Korihor

Required alcohol

Post by Korihor » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:13 pm

I'm disappointed at the amount of alcohol necessary to have effect on me. It's a lot.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Dravin

Re: Required alcohol

Post by Dravin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:50 am

I can usually feel the impact of a standard drink if it's by itself, maybe two of them if they are accompanied by a decent sized meal. Not that they make me stumble around the house slurring mind you, but I can certainly tell they've had an impact as I relax and loosen up a tad bit.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:11 am

Korihor wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:13 pm
I'm disappointed at the amount of alcohol necessary to have effect on me. It's a lot.
What Dravin said: Are you alcohol-ing on an empty stomach, or with a meal?

Or: Maybe you need to try a different "form" of mind-altering substance? :mrgreen:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:26 am

May I humbly suggest that you spend your free time and tithing money turning into a coffee afficianado, not an alcohol afficianado. I'm not saying that you should be teetotaler. But the effects of too much coffee are increased focus, finishing projects, paying attention to driving, and staying up late to finish homework assignments. It's hard to see a downside.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:25 am

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:11 am
Korihor wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:13 pm
What Dravin said: Are you alcohol-ing on an empty stomach, or with a meal?

Or: Maybe you need to try a different "form" of mind-altering substance? :mrgreen:
Interestingly enough, thoughts of other mind altering substances have frequented my head lately.

Last night I had:
1 large Pretzel
1 cheese sauce
2 Corona Light
1/2 Bottle Vodka
1 litre Coca-Cola (mixed with vodka)

All of this was over the course of 3 hours. Absolutely I had a little buzz and I was relaxed, but it took that much to simply maintain a mild buzz. Maybe the caffeine was countering the alcohol too much.

Additionaly, I did sleep well, so that was nice.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:41 am

Korihor wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:25 am
Interestingly enough, thoughts of other mind altering substances have frequented my head lately.

Last night I had:
1 large Pretzel
1 cheese sauce
2 Corona Light
1/2 Bottle Vodka
1 litre Coca-Cola (mixed with vodka)

All of this was over the course of 3 hours. Absolutely I had a little buzz and I was relaxed, but it took that much to simply maintain a mild buzz. Maybe the caffeine was countering the alcohol too much.

Additionaly, I did sleep well, so that was nice.
Um... wow.

Just curious... Over the 3 hours, what were you doing besides the eating and the drinking?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:10 am

First tip: don't buy beer in a Utah grocery story because it's only 3%, hardly worth the calories.
2nd tip was already talked about - empty stomach helps a lot to get the buzz on before you eat.
Try wines, they seem to have a different buzz than hard or beer. But, I haven't been able to find much in the wine category that I like, so I punted and just stick to the mascattos because they are sweet with very little of the vinegar taste.

Honestly, the best buzz is MJ. Too much alcohol = side effects and I don't like dealing with those much. There are so many options now with the edibles and vapor pens. The worst side effect is the munchies, might make you eat more junk food than usual, so if that's a concern, keep some crunchy healthy snacks on the ready. There's something about crunchy things that is particularly satisfying when you get stoned.

With MJ as well as alcohol there's obviously a threshold where you can stay productive and functional vs. non-functional. It's fun to figure out where that is. I can do all the yard work and more all day if I maintain a certain level of buzziness and it's quite enjoyable, especially if you get the right playlist on. But tip the scales and all I'm good for is eating Doritos and watching funny videos on YouTube, which is also enjoyable, just very non-productive.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:28 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:10 am
First tip: don't buy beer in a Utah grocery story because it's only 3%, hardly worth the calories.
You know that you're getting the same % when you buy a mild barley drink on-tap at a restaurant in UT, right RubinHIGHlander? 8-)

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:15 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:41 am
Um... wow.

Just curious... Over the 3 hours, what were you doing besides the eating and the drinking?
Cleaning the house. Gotta get it looking good before Mrs Misbehaved comes home.
Bathroom, laundry, dishes, beds, etc.

Like I said, I was kinda frustrated it didn't have more of an effect.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:19 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:28 am
RubinHighlander wrote:
You know that you're getting the same % when you buy a mild barley drink on-tap at a restaurant in UT, right RubinHIGHlander? 8-)
Fortunately, I'm in Phoenix. I can buy anything at any grocery store or gas station. 750ml vodka is only $11

Really, the beer in Utah restaurants is only 3%?

Rubin, your promotion for cannabis is beyond enticing right now. If you got a mild high, enough to feel good and still mow the lawn, how long does it take to wear off?

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Ever get high on the gospel? Mix gospel with a liter of sacramental wine poured over crushed raspberries and diced cantaloupe for a refreshing sangria. Sounds good if I could find a non-alcoholic sacramental wine at Smiths.

BTW, with several states moving away from 3.2 beer, it might leave Utah with needing to raise its alcohol percentage to 4.8, limit due to short supply of 3.2%, or simply eliminating beer sales altogether. The Utah State Alcohol Commission will need to fast and pray on that point, then seek guidance from the Church as to what they wish to allow.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:13 pm

Korihor wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:15 pm
Cleaning the house. Gotta get it looking good before Mrs Misbehaved comes home.
Bathroom, laundry, dishes, beds, etc.
Yeah, if it took 1/2 a bottle of vodka along with the two Mexican barley drinks to make the housework a bit more "fun" you ARE a heavyweight. :shock: Maybe you should try Caffeine-Free Coke next time to enhance the ethanol effects...

Korihor wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:19 pm
Beer on tap, anywhere in Utah is 3.2% ABW, or 4% ABV. (Same amount of of alcohol, different method of measurement. Really... WHY?)

Beers above 4% ABV are available in (certain) restaurants & bars, but not on tap; those mild barley beverages will be poured out of a bottle, or a can.

Grocery and convenience stores are limited to selling 4% ABV beverages, everything else must be purchased at a State Liquor Store. (Including "wine coolers" cider, wine, and "hard" liquor, and anything else that's not a 4% fermented barley drink.)

There are some slightly different allowances for wine and cider on tap, but I"m not familiar with exactly what they are.

Welcome to Utah. Not necessarily the weirdest liquor laws in the US, but Purdy Dang Close... (I mean... You can't even buy Jack Daniels at the distillery where it's made, because the distillery is located in a dry county in Tennesee... LOl, WUT?)

Oklahoma, Kansas and Colorado have the same 4% ABV law in grocery stores as Utah, with Oklahoma voting recently to rescind such law as the Esteemed Penguin mentioned. Though there were 4 states with the prohibition-holdover 4% law, Oklahoma actually consumed 50% of all the 4% barley drinks in the US. With the demand for 4% barley drinks being cut by 50% in the next few years, supply of said barley drinks could go WAY down, which is why the Theocracy in Utah may have to change their prohibition-era laws. Many krappy American adjunct lagers produced by the BMC trinity are still less that 5% ABV in their "normal form" outside of the prohibition-law states. For example, that Corona Light you mentioned earlier Kish-Kori? In Utah, it's 4% abv. In AZ where you purchase it: 4.1%. I'm sure the extra .1% made a HUGE difference.

Yep, that's what we pay those lawmakers to do: Come up with idiotic laws such as those mentioned above.

I may or may not have been slightly buzzed while typing the above diatribe. (I think 2 mild barley drinks and 1/2 bottle of vodka might kill me. Assuming it's a "regular" 750ml bottle of not-so-mild, distilled, neutral grain spirit.)

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Korihor wrote:
wtfluff wrote:
RubinHighlander wrote:
Fortunately, I'm in Phoenix. I can buy anything at any grocery store or gas station. 750ml vodka is only $11

Rubin, your promotion for cannabis is beyond enticing right now. If you got a mild high, enough to feel good and still mow the lawn, how long does it take to wear off?
Good for you for combining your drinking with productivity, Korihor. That's the way I like to live my life too. :D

As an MJ aficionado of sorts, I can tell you that you will most likely be absolutely wrecked your first few times. You will experience some or all of: losing your train of thought frequently, laughing loudly and uproariously, finding it difficult and hilarious to complete even the most basic of tasks, experiencing time moving simultaneously fast and slow, enjoying food more than you ever thought possible, and thinking deeply about both mundane and important parts of your existence. It will probably last at least a couple hours the first few times (although the residual comedown will be much longer than that). It will be a total blast assuming you are in a safe environment with no reason for paranoia.

Once you've developed a nice tolerance, the productivity boost that RubinHighlander describes is totally on point. Nothing better than keeping a minor buzz going through a very productive day. It can make even the most annoying, boring tasks kind-of sort-of okay.

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:45 pm

Korihor wrote:
wtfluff wrote:
RubinHighlander wrote:

Sounds like you just want to sin! lol, JK. One of these days when I grow up, and before I die, I might (if I'm really super brave) try some alcohol, just to see what all the fuss is about.

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:35 pm

Well, if you are a really big guy (250 pounds +) then it will take double the amount of alcohol to create the same state as for someone half your weight. If you are a tiny guy (120 pounds) then that is much more scary.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:58 am

6'0" 220 lbs

I've had drinks with a couple people on this board. I do know it takes a little more for me than one other person based on prior averages.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:20 pm

wtfluff wrote:
RubinHighlander wrote:
Yeah, that's why the bottles are best! Working in SLC has it advantages because there are several micro breweries close by. It much more enjoyable to buy direct than go into one of those shitty UT liquor stores. But I still make a trip to the sin center once every 3-4 months.

Utah is toying with killing the 3% limit, especially now they have lowered the blood alcohol level.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:51 pm

Korihor wrote:
Others may have more experience than I but here's mine:

1/2 square of chocolate bar or 1/2 gummy takes 15-30 to ramp up, then stays around for 3-4 hours. There are different varieties, from sleep aids, active/silly and mellow buzz. DW still has stigma around the herbals, so I never bring it up. With the dose listed above she's never suspected anything. When I go beyond that dose it feels like time is out of joint, kind of in slow motion, so that's the point where you just can't have any important tasks at hand, like driving somewhere. I'm still mostly functional at a full dose, but if I have something I'm working on I'll go out to the garage to get a tool and forget what I was going out there for. So a full square or gummy is fine at a concert or other outing, like floating the river and if you want to cover up the fact you are stoned you can just drink a beer or three, then everyone just thinks you are buzzed on alcohol and they go quite well together.

Funny story and example of being under the influence:
I had to go to a sporting event for DD, one of those that can go on for 3-4 hours and DD is only in 4 events out of a 100. So it's Friday, I eat a 1/2 gummy and I'm feeling good, just sitting up in the crowd waiting for DW and the event to begin. Up walks the YW presidency from our old ward (the prez is also the Bish's DW). We had resigned about six months prior, to put this in context. So I strike up the salutations and small talk about who we are there to see compete. The YWP mentions how much they enjoy the pictures I post on Instagram. I said "Oh thanks. I'm glad I didn't post anything inappropriate on there." to which she retracted a bit in suprise and said "Oh I didn't mean to imply that you did." I was trying to be humorous but obviously it made her uncomfortable and I was thinking to myself why the hell I let those words come out of my mouth. Not much harm done really; I've talked to her and the bish since at Costco and it was normal weather stuff, didn't feel uncomfortable to me anyway.

So if you partake just be prepared for a increase in the stupid dad humor quotient and as long as your place of employment doesn't drug test (because you live in a state where it's not legal), yes, I recommend it. Another note is that the first time you try it you may need a full dose because the THC hasn't been in your system before and it needs a bit more to kick it off. So start with a 1/2 and if after an hour you don't feel much, take the other half. If you are smoking it the trad way, that hits much faster, like minutes after you hit it. Usually 3-4 puffs is good. Vap pens usually only need 1-2 hits (neighbor has one I've tried).

Once out of the zion curtain I was surprised how many folks use MJ regularly. I have not had to travel out of state to get it. Friends, coworkers and neighbors seems to have plenty. A TBM friend of mine going to chemo uses it in place of opiates; he gets it from his adult kids. All of my adult children who live out of state are regular users and they are still productive and fully employed, it seems to have had no negative impact on their livelihood. I have some drops I give to my dogs sometimes when they are stressed and hyper (fireworks or they have to go somewhere in the car)

I use it occasionally on weekends, definitely at concerts and other events, once in a while after work if I'm stressed out, but vary rarely more than once a week - all things in moderation.
--Douglas Adams