State of Utah Liquor Store

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Korihor

State of Utah Liquor Store

Post by Korihor » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:03 am

Having recently visited Utah, I was shocked to learn a few things about the state I've lived most of my life.

The State liquor store is a joke. The most bland, depressing store I've ever visited. They are going out of their way to make it unattractive. Literally using a 8.5" x 11" piece of paper printed with the word "Beer" and taped to the wall to designate the 'beer' section. Cheap particle board shelving used as display cases. Drab colors throughout and every employee wearing a lanyard with the words "We ID".

The lunacy of the state of Utah is beyond comprehension in this matter. And how is this a fair system for anyone in the state? Let's pretend I in Ephriam, UT, the nearest liquor store is 25 minute drive, and I have only 1 option. Completely disregards the free market and promotes the abuse of gov. control.

I'm very glad I had my faith transition in Arizona.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

wtfluff

Re: State of Utah Liquor Store

Post by wtfluff » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:18 am

Meh, you visited the wrong "State Liquor Store". You should have hit up the new one out in West Valley. (I guess we learn to "deal with" the hassle.)

And Ephraim has it's OWN "State Liquor Store" RIGHT IN TOWN.

(But you do have a point. And based on the size of the Ephraim store, I'm sure they don't have much of a selection...)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:14 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:18 am
(But you do have a point. And based on the size of the Ephraim store, I'm sure they don't have much of a selection...)
Ephraim has to have a liquor store or else the residents of Manti would have no place to buy liquor without their bishop seeing them. There is a reciprocal relationship with the Ephraim residents and the Manti liquor store. That is the way God intended things to be. If one town offered a better selection, it would create undue pressure on the other town to match its offerings, when the money could be better spent down at the ward house or on the town nightlife at the 7-11.

After some minimal research, it seems the Manti liquor store is no longer there. Perhaps this is because of the presence of the Manti Temple. My new revised theory is that the residents of Ephraim are able to enter the Ephraim liquor store if well disguised. Maybe they wear the same anonymous Donald Trump Halloween mask.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:49 pm

With minimal research, I did not readily see a state liquor store in Ephriam. My bad.

But you get my point, rural folks have a lot more headache to buy something that others folks easily enjoy. Maybe not, some folks in west valley probably drive 25 minutes as well, but only travel 5 miles.

I visited the State liquor store in Bountiful on 500 W - maybe that explains the depressed nature of the store.

Let's not forget that it closes at 7:00 PM!!!! and closed on Sundays!!!!

crazy

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:18 pm

The State Wine Store that was at Van Winkle & 9th East when I lived in SLC was actually pretty nice, but probably only because it catered to the wine crowd. The liquor store further up in Holladay was pretty nice, too.

But, it was so nice walking into Albertsons when I first moved to Arizona and seeing an entire liquor section! And Costco . . . what can I say?
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:51 am

HighMaintenance wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:18 pm
But, it was so nice walking into Albertsons when I first moved to Arizona and seeing an entire liquor section! And Costco . . . what can I say?
When I moved to AZ, going to the Grocery store and seeing the adult beverage section was like a sore thumb sticking out. It was just 1 aisle, but man did I see it every time. Now, I don't notice it since it's so common.
Costco does an excellent job. It doesn't have as many options as a grocery story, but still an excellent variety of quality spirits at great prices.

I'm glad to hear the other State Liquor Stores aren't as awful as Bountiful. I was shocked. It reminded the shaming culture is alive and well.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:50 am

Korihor wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:51 am
I'm glad to hear the other State Liquor Stores aren't as awful as Bountiful. I was shocked. It reminded the shaming culture is alive and well.
Here you go: Some visuals, so you can compare your Bountiful experience with the new "state of the art" facility...

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?i ... type=CMSID

http://fox13now.com/2017/06/13/after-7- ... t-is-over/
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:59 am

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:50 am
Korihor wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:51 am
Here you go: Some visuals, so you can compare your Bountiful experience with the new "state of the art" facility...

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?i ... type=CMSID

http://fox13now.com/2017/06/13/after-7- ... t-is-over/
Still drab and pathetic. Admittedly the shelves were stocked a bit tighter.
Not impressed.

Here are few examples of what a decent store looks like
Last edited by Korihor on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:03 am

Here's Utah's 'nice" state liquor store

And another State Liquor Store

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:09 am

Hmm... I'm not seeing a huge difference.

Where are the strobe lights and dancers? :twisted:

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:24 am

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:09 am
Where are the strobe lights and dancers? :twisted:
This is NOM, sooo. can't post those pics here. :lol:

I'll admit, I'm am being a little picky. Ultimately you end up with the same product in your bag. (BTW, Utah still does the brown paper bag thing???)

But after experiencing a designated liquor store in AZ compared to UT, it's apples and oranges.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:54 am

Korihor wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:24 am
(BTW, Utah still does the brown paper bag thing???)
Just one additional part of the walk of shame my friend...

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:42 pm

It is good to see a display of Utah distilled and brewed products. Think globally, drink locally.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:16 am

Makes me kinda glad I'm in Indiana. I may have to put up with the sale of alcohol in grocery and liquor stores being prohibited on Sunday but at least 6 days out of the week I don't suffer from choice of stores to visit and I can get wine, liquor, and strong beer at grocery stores. Though I do say, it'd be mighty nice if grocery stores could chill their beer.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:58 am

Stakes can be small on the East Coast, so i regularly visit different states and it is interesting how alcohol laws vary.

Maryland: Alcohol can only be bought from licensed liquor stores. However these are privately operated and compete for market share. A store with high prices and/or a poor selection doesn't last long.

West Virginia: Beer & wine sales allowed in grocery stores and convince stores. Hard liquor is limited to licenses stores. However there are some chain stores (Kroger, Sam's Club, etc.) that have license to sell liquor.

Pennsylvania: For a long time it was only available from state owned stores. However, this has recently changed. They have started allowing Beer sales in convenience stores and they are in the process of privatizing liquor stores. They are allowing more licenses for private ones and they are in the process of selling the state owned stores to private ownership. Alcohol sales in grocery stores are interesting. They can't sell it in the main store, but they can sell it as part of a restaurant. So some grocery stores will have a small lunch counter or restaurant attached to the store, but walled off, so they can sell it.

Virginia is very similar to West Virginia.
Dravin wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:16 am
Makes me kinda glad I'm in Indiana. I may have to put up with the sale of alcohol in grocery and liquor stores being prohibited on Sunday but at least 6 days out of the week I don't suffer from choice of stores to visit and I can get wine, liquor, and strong beer at grocery stores. Though I do say, it'd be mighty nice if grocery stores could chill their beer.
A couple years ago I visited Indiana for a job interview. While checking out the town, I stuck my head into Walmart to see what it was like there. It was interesting to find liquor for sale there. Just not used to it.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:44 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:58 am
Stakes can be small on the East Coast, so i regularly visit different states and it is interesting how alcohol laws vary.

Maryland: Alcohol can only be bought from licensed liquor stores. However these are privately operated and compete for market share. A store with high prices and/or a poor selection doesn't last long.

West Virginia: Beer & wine sales allowed in grocery stores and convince stores. Hard liquor is limited to licenses stores. However there are some chain stores (Kroger, Sam's Club, etc.) that have license to sell liquor.

Pennsylvania: For a long time it was only available from state owned stores. However, this has recently changed. They have started allowing Beer sales in convenience stores and they are in the process of privatizing liquor stores. They are allowing more licenses for private ones and they are in the process of selling the state owned stores to private ownership. Alcohol sales in grocery stores are interesting. They can't sell it in the main store, but they can sell it as part of a restaurant. So some grocery stores will have a small lunch counter or restaurant attached to the store, but walled off, so they can sell it.

Virginia is very similar to West Virginia.
Dravin wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:16 am
A couple years ago I visited Indiana for a job interview. While checking out the town, I stuck my head into Walmart to see what it was like there. It was interesting to find liquor for sale there. Just not used to it.
Fascinating. Honestly, my ignorance in this matter is on full display. I thought it was a uniquely Utah thing to have back asswards alcohol laws. But the country seems to vary significantly, state by state.

Here in AZ, I can get anything, anytime, anywhere.

Granted, a gas station doesn't have the selection of a Total Wine, but I can buy a 750ml vodka at 2:00 am Sunday morning. Grocery stores have a full aisle or two and are generally open 24/7.

Dedicated spirits retailers (BevMo, Total Wine) have everything, but usually only open regular retail hours.