How the NSA learned the identity of the bitcoin founder

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
FiveFingerMnemonic

How the NSA learned the identity of the bitcoin founder

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:36 am

Someday the church will use the same technology to learn our online identities. Too bad we can't put the book of mormon into this system and find the author like the Johnson brothers attempted a few years ago.

https://m.slashdot.org/story/330553

oliver_denom

Re: How the NSA learned the identity of the bitcoin founder

Post by oliver_denom » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:18 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:36 am
Someday the church will use the same technology to learn our online identities. Too bad we can't put the book of mormon into this system and find the author like the Johnson brothers attempted a few years ago.
Fortunately the church isn't conducting mass surveillance and sweeping up our private emails. But, if they ever create and begin pressuring people into using some sort of LDS web filtering software, then look out. I long ago uninstalled LDS Apps from my phone because of this exact issue.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:11 pm

oliver_denom wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:18 am
Fortunately the church isn't conducting mass surveillance and sweeping up our private emails. But, if they ever create and begin pressuring people into using some sort of LDS web filtering software, then look out. I long ago uninstalled LDS Apps from my phone because of this exact issue.
The story of Bitcoin and Satoshi Nakamoto is fascinating. However, I can only hope that the LDS church eventually gets around to angrily shake their collective fingers at me. After my Lesbian daughter married her Lesbian fiance a few weeks ago, my bishop responded by sending me a link to the story where "A Lesbian Couple Shares Why They Divorced to Join the Church in Powerful Video". The bishop totally misunderstood my actual feelings on the marriage (joy, happiness) and assumed I was feeling the orthodox LDS feeling on Same Sex Marriage (dissapointment, fear, disgust). I need to ratchet up my apostasy in my ward.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:31 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:11 pm
oliver_denom wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:18 am
The story of Bitcoin and Satoshi Nakamoto is fascinating. However, I can only hope that the LDS church eventually gets around to angrily shake their collective fingers at me. After my Lesbian daughter married her Lesbian fiance a few weeks ago, my bishop responded by sending me a link to the story where "A Lesbian Couple Shares Why They Divorced to Join the Church in Powerful Video". The bishop totally misunderstood my actual feelings on the marriage (joy, happiness) and assumed I was feeling the orthodox LDS feeling on Same Sex Marriage (dissapointment, fear, disgust). I need to ratchet up my apostasy in my ward.
I think you're absolutely right that human intel on individuals attitudes is piss poor in the church system. My belief and experience is that leaders make assumptions based off of high council and ward council gossip and then filter it based on their worldview. That becomes "revelation" to them about what to do for given individuals.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:25 pm

There was a recent story on reddit by a guy who was tracked down by the Strengthening Church Members Committee using malware that they had planted on an apostate (polygamist group) web forum.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:25 pm
There was a recent story on reddit by a guy who was tracked down by the Strengthening Church Members Committee using malware that they had planted on an apostate (polygamist group) web forum.
That violates the U.S. Computer Fraud and Abuse act. That's a felony.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compute ... _Abuse_Act
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Emower

Post by Emower » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:56 pm

Hagoth wrote:
That was a crazy story.
oliver_denom wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:54 pm
Hagoth wrote:
That violates the U.S. Computer Fraud and Abuse act. That's a felony.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compute ... _Abuse_Act
Someone else posted about packet sniffing which is how that guy was found. For some reason it was not illegal, just super shady and not ethical. I think it was something about his emails with the polygamist group were not encrypted and found in some public area of the internet?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:36 am

Emower wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:56 pm
For some reason it was not illegal, just super shady and not ethical. I think it was something about his emails with the polygamist group were not encrypted and found in some public area of the internet?
Even so, if it had happened to me I would do everything I could to get the story out there so members could hear it. It's disturbing and disgusting. But then again, echos of my TBM former self come back saying "serves him right for being a traitor."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Emower

Post by Emower » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:29 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:36 am
Emower wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:56 pm
For some reason it was not illegal, just super shady and not ethical. I think it was something about his emails with the polygamist group were not encrypted and found in some public area of the internet?
Even so, if it had happened to me I would do everything I could to get the story out there so members could hear it. It's disturbing and disgusting. But then again, echos of my TBM former self come back saying "serves him right for being a traitor."
Yeah, I'm not excusing the actions. Any organization that feels like they need to cyber track it's members needs to take a long hard look in the mirror about who they are and what their purpose is.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:34 am

Maybe someone should send then a few copies of Going Clear.