Non-religious God

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Newme

Re: Non-religious God

Post by Newme » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:56 pm

SaidNobody wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:03 pm
Lately, being without a church, I have been pondering the connection between God and Church. God and Religion. Does one need a religion to believe in God? What is God's power and influence outside of a organized religion?

In some groups, (not to give it away) they talk of "A God of our understanding." And this God actually works for many people. It's not predefined or handed down as scripture. In fact, many people take years and years to develop a God of their Understanding.

Of course, God varies from a vague idea to an all powerful authority.

I see God pretty much like all of the ideas of God put together and much, much, much more. But no one ideal of God has yet pleased me, but I do believe that there is a God and conscious realms beyond our senses.

I put this post in the MISC section, because, I'm curious about non-religious ideas of who/what God is. I used to think that I could convert an atheist to believe in God, but. . . . . yeah, that was my ass talking.

Beginning Fact: Humans are the only animals that evolved believing in God. They don't have the biggest brains, nor live the longest lives, but they are king, (if you exclude the insect kingdom.)
Is the group you’re referring to “the program” (AA, NA etc)?

I’ve come to believe that God must be understood personally - not by group thought like religion or atheism.

Spiritually, I’m kind of on my own. I pick up wisdom here and there, but any time I begin to idolize someone or some belief package, I realize flaws. Ie: “Abraham Hicks” seems to me like a mix of insanity, partial spirit possession, and a scheme to make money. Yet, she offers some insights, like how people who seem all evil are that way because they have persistently pushed good away despite desperately craving it. Often they were taught to do that as a child & struggle changing so they repeat evil done to them.

Some day, I hope to be able to better love people who have hurt me or others. I think that is of God - but I’ve got work to do.

Newme

Post by Newme » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Oh, and one other thing she mentioned which made sense is that often “bad” is the means and opportunity for “good” to be revealed. Reminded me of “opposition in all things.”

God - being infinite - has infinit interpretations, but I think one summary may be the idea of yin and yang.

SaidNobody

Post by SaidNobody » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:18 pm

Newme wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:28 pm
Oh, and one other thing she mentioned which made sense is that often “bad” is the means and opportunity for “good” to be revealed. Reminded me of “opposition in all things.”

God - being infinite - has infinit interpretations, but I think one summary may be the idea of yin and yang.
What we forget, and therefore assume that spirituality is insanity, is the "layers" of things.

The whole "secret" ideal is a true, in a spiritual sense. You can change things in your spirit by wanting and believing. But, just wanting something doesn't automatically manifest it. That is the start of it. But, working the system has to be done by everyone. For example: some child of the caveman days could want a bike all his life and never get it. There are channels that we must use. There are people in Africa who want a sandwich way more then I do, but I have the means to manifest one while they don't. But, in a spiritual sense, the wanting is the first step that changes us and guides us. You can change who you are by believing, and then the world changes around you based on who you are. It's a chemistry sort of thing. You cannot control the universe, but the universe will react to you in very scientific ways.

But, Good and Evil are based on consciousness. While everyday, the realization that the universe is way bigger then I ever thought it hits me again and again, I think our consciousness starts out as non-sentient. We start out as "monkey see - monkey do." But as we experience the results of our action, we learn good and evil. Animals are less likely to understand good and evil, but some probably get it. But, like a wolf is never going to feel bad about killing a rabbit, or a cowboy for eating a steak, but even such insensitive creatures develop a sense of right and wrong.

But, to bring a sensitive perspective, some humans think they are above eating other animals. Yet, statistically, maintaining farmland for one human actually displaces and kills more animals then eating them. So, which is a more evil? We cannot help but leave a foot print here, but perhaps the best we can do it leave it better then we came. It is impossible to not hurt others in some way, but that doesn't really make us evil. But, I think it is good that we try to help and love others. Therefore, good is the real variable. A wolf is a wolf, but when we see the good that it does, i.e., Yellowstone Park, our perspective on good and evil changes.