How to be the Alpha

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
FiveFingerMnemonic

How to be the Alpha

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:29 am

I found this highly amusing and have a few thoughts.

1. After watching, it seems difficult to not believe in evolution.

2. I wonder which GAs are the Alphas and which are the Betas.

3. The Alpha methods can be used in my interactions with church leaders and members.

Natgeo - Alpha Male
https://youtu.be/vd2NTQPl7D8

Give It Time

Re: How to be the Alpha

Post by Give It Time » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:40 pm

It sure explains the Primary voice so common among the female leaders. Land sakes! Can't have another Chieko Okazaki, now can we? Pigs might fly.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:01 am

Sweet! I knew my salt and pepper head had some advantage. Not sure if it played into the respect I got when I resigned.

As far as the GAs - Would be interesting to see how they shake hands when they gather for their Power Point briefs.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 am

I get the feeling that most people that get called to be GAs these days are alphas. There's a vetting process and, for the most part, gone are the days of someone becoming an apostle in their 30s. Apostles are usually in their 50s or 60s when called now, meaning there are a few more decades for the alphas to muscle their way to the top of the food chain.

I've often wondered how alpha TSM is. He was called to be an apostle in his 30s, he could be a beta that was plucked up and thrust onto the path of leadership, because once you're called apostle there's no backing out. That might explain why he didn't seem to have as much 'presence' as GBH and why it seems like the voice of more alpha-like leaders like Oaks and Nelson appear to permeate TSM's tenure as president... unless TSM feels very strongly about gay marriage and "religious freedom."
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:12 pm

I think TSM just burned out since he was an apostle in his 30's. Then sitting behind GBH for so long he realized he could get by without doing anything at all. What are they gonna do?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:23 pm

The alpha male concept would have been considered outside what is desired for a good life by St. Augustine, St. Francis of Assisi, and St. Thomas Aquinas. But then again, what would they know? They were not on the board of a multi-billion international corporation. That blessed are the meek stuff is not for those on pedestals.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:42 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:23 pm
The alpha male concept would have been considered outside what is desired for a good life by St. Augustine, St. Francis of Assisi, and St. Thomas Aquinas. But then again, what would they know? They were not on the board of a multi-billion international corporation. That blessed are the meek stuff is not for those on pedestals.
Personally I think, more and more, that most religion, particularly western ones, are nothing more than a system of control for the weak to take advantage of the strong. How many times could the powerful nations of Christendom have sacked the Holy See if they were so inclined? I've seen the strong, healthy men of the church allow weaker men (in both mind and body) to bully them because "it isn't Christ like" to intimidate them into leaving them alone. I don't disagree it takes a strong man to walk away from a fight, but I find the Buddhist way (particularly channeled through the philosophy of Muay Thai) to be much more in line with an instinctive evolutionary reaction than I do any western religion.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:13 am

Mad Jax wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:42 pm
moksha wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:23 pm
Personally I think, more and more, that most religion, particularly western ones, are nothing more than a system of control for the weak to take advantage of the strong. How many times could the powerful nations of Christendom have sacked the Holy See if they were so inclined? I've seen the strong, healthy men of the church allow weaker men (in both mind and body) to bully them because "it isn't Christ like" to intimidate them into leaving them alone. I don't disagree it takes a strong man to walk away from a fight, but I find the Buddhist way (particularly channeled through the philosophy of Muay Thai) to be much more in line with an instinctive evolutionary reaction than I do any western religion.
Sort of follows that theory that the church emasculates men. Which is sort of contrary to the other theory that the patriarchal order of things does the opposite. I can see it both ways. Perhaps men are emasculated in relation to other men (leaders), and overempowered in relation to females.

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:14 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:13 am
Sort of follows that theory that the church emasculates men. Which is sort of contrary to the other theory that the patriarchal order of things does the opposite. I can see it both ways. Perhaps men are emasculated in relation to other men (leaders), and overempowered in relation to females.
Bingo
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

EternityIsNow

Post by EternityIsNow » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:48 pm

Great video. Makes clear that the natural ape is still in us. :)

The part about how the alpha expands territory was fascinating. Made me think of the recent Temple building frenzy, often where the numbers don't really make sense. The GA alphas really must want to see their tribal brand's territory expand, and I think building more temples may have that psychological effect on the alphas.

And the alpha's not tolerating sex among other adult chimps is fascinating, the need of the alpha to control sex. All this time I thought there was some deeper philosophy behind the LDS sexual control philosophy.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:33 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:13 am
That may be. I was blending that with the idea of generally making somebody to be too meek. Most often the church never demanded a pacifistic interpretation of "turn the other cheek" but I reject it in all forms. I find it a hateful teaching TBH.

I was made to be the heel in a few situations when I wouldn't take abuse from "alpha" members of the congregation. It wasn't common, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.