What movie makes you cry?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Emower

What movie makes you cry?

Post by Emower » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Just curious. Inside out does it for me every time. When Bing bong jumps out out the wagon to help joy get out of the abyss I tear up. Every. Time. And my kids have watched it a lot of times.

wtfluff

Re: What movie makes you cry?

Post by wtfluff » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:27 pm

Lots of 'em.

But...

Time Traveler's Wife was one that got to me, and really got me thinking about religious epistemology.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Out of Africa. The first time I saw it I'm didn't know.it was 2.5 hours long. So when it got sad at 1:45 I thought it was about over. But no, it has 45 more minutes of her life coming off the rails.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:37 pm

Just finished watching Calvary, a really great Irish film with Brendan Gleeson. Seen it a few times, it always makes me cry, especially when Gleeson's character says "there's more talk of sins, and less talk about virtues." And then mentions that forgiveness is underrated. True that. A great little film, the Irish can do angst like nobody else.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Emower

Post by Emower » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:23 pm

dogbite wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:02 pm
Out of Africa. The first time I saw it I'm didn't know.it was 2.5 hours long. So when it got sad at 1:45 I thought it was about over. But no, it has 45 more minutes of her life coming off the rails.
I have never seen that one. My uncle was an extra in it. I love Redford in anything.

moksha

What movies makes you cry?

Post by moksha » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:53 am

Field of Dreams and Renaissance Man. Also, the 1939 version of Goodbye, Mr. Chips.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:19 am

Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:52 am

I watched the movie Bamboozled years ago, the one by Spike Lee, and it made me sob like a baby.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:59 am

Dude, ever since I turned 30, every movie makes me cry. Like, even movies or parts of movies that aren't really intended to be very touching, there's often something really hits me and I find myself tearing up. I've always been a big ol' softy, but it's ramped into high gear in my 30s. :lol:

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:38 pm

The Railway Man

This is the true story of a British man coming to terms with PTSD from imprisonment in a Japanese POW camp in WW2 then confronting his captors decades later. The story and theme embody the real and functional solutions to the vast majority of problems on this planet. This is a better study of morality than I ever got in Sunday School. The depth of understanding of the human soul is laid bare in an astonishing performance by Colin Firth. This is an elegant story about overcoming and transcending some of the most horrible experiences of human cruelty. I swear I am a better person for seeing this film.

Hacksaw Ridge

This is another real-life recount of a WW2 story. The main character volunteered to serve in the U.S. Army during WW2 as religious pacifist and concientious objector, and as someone who refused to use firearms. He served as a U.S. Army Medic and earned the U.S. Congressional Medal of Honor despite never firing a weapon at all. This is hardly a spoiler alert since the way he accomplished this was one of the most gripping stories I have ever watched. It is a rather violent film which may put off some viewers. But you could safely show the first half with his experiences in boot camp and get a portrait of living a principled life just from that. Still, I would get permission to show this to a Priest Quorum as a chance to see resilience, faith, and Christian charity during the worst of modern warfare.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:19 pm

The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Charles Laughton version when he says to the gargoyle, "I wish that I were made of stone like thee."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:33 pm

Hands down the 1988 movie, Beaches. It stars Bette Midler, Barbara Hershey, Mayim Bialik and John Heard.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:51 pm

Documentaries can usually do the trick. The stories of those who survived horrors or the veneration of those who sacrificed all for others. Fictional works that touch on the same themes can do the same thing, but hearing the words of an Auschwitz survivor or a Vietnam vet talking about how their medic went out one last time to rescue a brother in arms... but the best and the worst of humanity does me in. For very different reasons of course, but both can get the eyes a watering.

That said, to provide an actual title that once made me bawl, full on snot bubble blubbering and full body sobbing... I'm even getting a little watery thinking about it: The Cure
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:44 pm

Just about anything with drama or real hearts.

Life is Beautiful
Moana
The Imitation Game
The Journey of Natty Gann
Of Mice and Men
The Good Lie

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Dumbo.
There's that one scene where he goes to visit his mother, but the whole movie makes me cry. One of my kids loved that movie and watched it every day and I would cry even if I was in the other room, from the beginning where the mother sees all the other animals getting babies, when she gets Dumbo, when the other elephants laugh, where he trips in the mud, when the mother protects him, she's locked up, they make him a clown, he gets shut out by the others...yeah, the whole thing makes me cry.

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:07 pm

My children never saw Dumbo. I wouldn't have it in the house. Much too upsetting to me, let alone to my tender children.

I tear up in To Kill a Mockingbird when the people in the balcony stand up when Atticus goes by.
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson

Sheamus Moore

Post by Sheamus Moore » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:18 pm

When I was little it was the tail end of Wizard of Oz. More recently, 'The Notebook'. Got me and DW.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:10 pm

I saw Wonder a week ago. I had some tears I had to hide from my DW.
~2bizE

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:59 pm

Oh, and A Tale of Two Cities, the 1935 Ronald Coleman version. I used the novel in a class years ago and it was bad enough reading the end of the book with my class when I began to tear up, but the whole class was watching me more than the film when it got to the end. It was tough keeping back the tears.

achilles

Post by achilles » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:37 pm

I'm one of those people who doesn't cry. In spite of how cathartic it could be at times.

Anyway, I've only ever cried in four movies:

1-The end of E.T. It's the combo of the music and the scene. The love. The goodbyes. The wonder.
2-The end of Ladyhawke when and Navarre and Isabeau are finally back together
3-That song in Toy Story II when Jessie sings "When Somebody Loved Me"
4-The end of Les Miserables when Jean Valjean joins Fantine in heaven
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan