Guns at church?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
LostGirl

Re: Guns at church?

Post by LostGirl » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:26 pm

I am not from the US either. Personally I found the story disturbing for reasons that others have stated - not so much the gun ownership but the bragging about having had a firearm concealed while in your home. Do private citizens not also have the right to expect that others will not bring lethal weapons into their homes? Was he expecting you to turn into a psychopath and try to murder him between dinner and dessert?

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:48 am

Statistics show that you are over 57X more likely to get kill in a car wreck on your way to church than you are to be killed in a mass shooting at church.

For 2016: 606 deaths in mass shootings, 35,029 deaths from automotive accidents. So that means you have a 0.011% chance of dying in a car wreck or .00019% chance of getting killed in a mass shooting in a given year. Getting killed in a mass shooting is only a slightly higher probability than getting killed by lightning.

I find it interesting that people get absolutely out of sorts when it come to mass shootings, but don't think twice about their car safety and wearing seat belts. Shooting make for great headlines and political talking points, but really have very little actual impact on real life.

---

I live in West Virginia. That is a state with very open concealed carry laws. Like Arizona, you do not need a permit to concealed carry. I think that is one of the dumbest moves lately to come from the state capitol. I know too many people who should not be anywhere close to a gun that "have" to concealed carry to feel safe. One example is a lady that I know that is legally blind and cannot get a drivers license due to eyesight, but has the right to carry a gun and insists she has to. I am more scared for the people around her if she ever deceived to use it.

Gun ownership is like a car and carries a lot of responsibility with safety being the #1, #2, and #3 concerns at all time. I have no qualms with someone who is trained in both laws and marksman ship conceal carrying, but they have to be trained and be able to prove it. Idiots and people who can't handle a gun should not be anywhere near them.

The whole idea of concealed carry is that no one knows you have it until you need to use it. Anyone who pulls it out to show it off is missing the point and falls into the idiot category. See above. If I never know you have a gun, I am perfectly fine with you having it. Someone who goes into the toy section of Target to show it off to random kids is in idiot and is only proving the oppositions point.

On the other side, I have known people to absolutely freak out about the idea of guns in a church. A few years back, my dad needed to ship a couple rifles from his dad's estate. He borrowed a gun case from a friend at church. They met at the chapel before SM to make the pickup. One member went off the deep end when he saw the case. They even opened it up to show him it was empty, but he still went off on how it should be nowhere near a church. Peoples are idiots on both sides of the issue.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Emower

Post by Emower » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:50 am

The car issue is one that really interests me. We regulate the heck out of driving, yet it is still dangerous. However, we have gone to extraordinary steps to do all we can to make it safer, to the point of everyone being out of their minds frustrated when visiting the DMV. I mean just the acronym DMV is enough to send people into a cold sweat. I got a class A CDL lately. It was horrible. But, we all recognize that the regulatory structure is necessary. Plus, we all recognize that undocumented immigrants can still get a drivers license, but we dont use this as an excuse to get rid of the DMV.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:06 pm

Enoch Witty wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:04 am
We had a ward executive clerk who reportedly idolized Porter Rockwell and always carried a gun to church. It made me deeply uncomfortable. His son and his family came to our house recently, and at the end of a nice evening the son decided to reveal he had been carrying a gun the whole time. This led to a series of my feeling shocked, then annoyed, and now angry. :evil:

I'm not a particularly confrontational guy, and this is obviously a family that can't take two steps away from their firearms, so rather than actually talk about it, they probably just won't be getting another invite. And I'll continue to feel not 100% comfortable going to their house, because they always want to show off their most recent lethal acquisition.

Look man, you're holding a gun. I'm not going to tell you how much disdain do I have for your hobby. But take a freaking hint. How little interest do I need to show to get you to shut up and stop pulling them out???!

Ugh. Holy forking shirtballs, it's annoying.

/rant
Perhaps you need a sign on your door: No soliciting, no guns, & no schmucks. Girl Scouts Ok.
~2bizE