Some of your favorite movies

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Mad Jax

Re: Some of your favorite movies

Post by Mad Jax » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:20 pm

I'll post them when they are done.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:29 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:31 pm
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Totally forgot to add the Indian Jones movies to my list. Last Crusade is my fave!

Oh and The Goonies too!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:10 pm

MoPag wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:29 am
Oh and The Goonies too!

I showed that to my 9 year old son for the first time a few months ago. He loved it.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:03 pm

They'll never make a flick like The Goonies again. Kids are starved for that kind of film. I'm not saying all new films for kids are trash, just saying it's a style they'll never see made new.

Also, I should have added The Iron Giant, also planned as a tattoo.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

LaMachina

Post by LaMachina » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:03 pm

I always find this question difficult to answer cuz movies can fill a wide variety of niches. I love weird, funny movies that my DW often doesn't appreciate as much but I can occasionally get my kids to appreciate like:

Hot Rod
Hot Fuzz
Anchorman
Talladega Nights
Scott Pilgrim vs the world

But when I think about movies overlapping with Mormonism I generally think of movies that stick with me for a long time. They are movies that can ask deep questions or touch on subjects I'm struggling with. Sometimes I don't even enjoy these movies that much but they stick in my brain and I'll find I'm thinking about it weeks later. A sampling of some more recent films that have done that for me that I don't think have been mentioned are:

Silence (mentioned but I'll 2nd this one...or 3rd it at this point and as I've mentioned elsewhere I don't think I enjoyed this one. But welldone and thought provoking)
The Grey
A Ghost story
Mad Max Fury Road (probably not a "thinker" but made me think still!)
Ex Machina
Stranger than fiction
Don Jon
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
Arrival
Whiplash

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:27 pm

LaMachina wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:03 pm
But when I think about movies overlapping with Mormonism I generally think of movies that stick with me for a long time. They are movies that can ask deep questions or touch on subjects I'm struggling with.
Absolutely. The movie Plan 10 from Outerspace comes readily to mind. The movie filmed in Salt Lake City discussed the role women will play in the future of the LDS Church.

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:37 pm

Just a couple of very important movies that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Strange Brew

And of a slightly different tone:

American Flyers
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:53 pm

LaMachina wrote:
Sometimes I don't even enjoy these movies that much but they stick in my brain and I'll find I'm thinking about it weeks later.
Interesting that you say you don't "enjoy" movies that have this effect on you. I find myself generally choosing my favorite movies based on how much they stay in my thoughts over time. For example, I didn't think I liked The Fountain all that much at first, aside from its music, but I couldn't stop thinking about it and now I just accept that it's one of my very favorites.

The most recent thing I saw that stuck in my mind was The Florida Project. I found it unpleasant in places for sure (and that's intentional), but it really impressed me. Before that, it was Mother! (Although totally coincidental, that one sure had some connotations of LDS doctrines for me.)

LaMachina

Post by LaMachina » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:09 am

Ghost wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:53 pm
LaMachina wrote:
Sometimes I don't even enjoy these movies that much but they stick in my brain and I'll find I'm thinking about it weeks later.
Interesting that you say you don't "enjoy" movies that have this effect on you. I find myself generally choosing my favorite movies based on how much they stay in my thoughts over time. For example, I didn't think I liked The Fountain all that much at first, aside from its music, but I couldn't stop thinking about it and now I just accept that it's one of my very favorites.

The most recent thing I saw that stuck in my mind was The Florida Project. I found it unpleasant in places for sure (and that's intentional), but it really impressed me. Before that, it was Mother! (Although totally coincidental, that one sure had some connotations of LDS doctrines for me.)
:lol: The Fountain absolutely makes that list for me too. The Florida Project and Mother! are on my to-watch list but I'm putting them off knowing they won't be "enjoyable" either.

The most recent movie like this I've seen was A Ghost Story. Watching portions of if felt like "stunt" film making and a bit too hipster-ish if you know what I mean. But damn if the last 15-20 minutes weren't amazing and I grew to appreciate the "stunts" as I thought about the film. I really do love a film that sticks with you even when uncomfortable to watch.

Bremguy

Post by Bremguy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:22 pm

Some of my favorites:

Forbidden Planet
Alien
Dr. Strangelove
The Day After ( a very realistic movie about the time after a nuclear war )
Apocalypse Now Redux
Papillon

These just popped in my head.
Live Long and Prosper

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:39 am

What Dreams May Come
Life is Beautiful
Jurassic Park
Moana
The Help
Hidden Figures

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:38 pm

Bremguy wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:22 pm
I've been meaning to see this one. It sounds similar to the 1984 British film Threads, which is pretty intense.

Bremguy

Post by Bremguy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Ghost wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:38 pm
Bremguy wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:22 pm
I've been meaning to see this one. It sounds similar to the 1984 British film Threads, which is pretty intense.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Where I live there are 3 Major Naval Bases, 1 know for sure is a target and the other 2 most likely.
Live Long and Prosper

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:07 pm

I'm showing my son a favorite of mine: Better of Dead.

"Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm not dummy. I know high school girls."
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:11 pm

LaMachina wrote:
They are movies that can ask deep questions or touch on subjects I'm struggling with. Sometimes I don't even enjoy these movies that much but they stick in my brain and I'll find I'm thinking about it weeks later.
Two such movies for me are Same Time Next Year and The One I Love. Both were stuck in my head for a long time and made me think about serious questions regarding love, marriage, relationships, etc.

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:24 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:54 pm
Not in any particular order, just off the top of my head:
Rubin and Ed (of course)
Raising Arizona
The Matrix
Blade Runner 1 & 2
Pride and Prejudice - yup, it's a chick-flick, but it's a damn good one!
So I Married and Axe Murderer
Hamlet (Mel Gibson Glenn Close one)
O'Brother Where Art Thou
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Big Lebowski
The Blue Brothers
Wallace and Gromit
The Martian
LOTR
Alien
Caddy Shack
Apocalypse Now
Terminator
Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead
The Wedding Singer
Mr. Kruger's Christmas :lol:
I like your list.

I saw Paddington 2 today with the kids. I really loved it, great movie (I usually pass on taking the kiddos to movies).

I have always loved a River Runs Through it. The wannabe fly-fisherman in me cries each time.

Anything by Wes Anderson, especially the Royal Tenenbaums and The Fantastic Mr Fox.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

NOMinally Mormon

Post by NOMinally Mormon » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:07 pm

My top 5 are Blade Runner 1&2
Inception
V for Vendetta
Das Boot

Some obscure films I've enjoyed recently:
Howls Moving Castle
Dark City
Baghdad Cafe

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:07 pm

As I think this over, I think Singing in the Rain is the greatest movie ever made. Talented actors, great plot with humor, and a happy ending. What more can you ask for.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:32 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:07 pm
I'm showing my son a favorite of mine: Better of Dead.

"Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm not dummy. I know high school girls."
OMG I love this movie so much! So many classic lines. I had to explain the "I want my two dollars" line to my husband. Also, "Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way... turn."
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot