Coffee

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
RubinHighlander

Re: Coffee

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:58 am

alas wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:41 pm

100% Kona OK, this takes a trip to Hawaii. The 15% stuff that you can buy on the mainland doesn't cut it. It is less bitter.
So far, Kona that a friend brought back to me from Hawaii has been the only coffee I was able to drink black. Most of the time I have to sweeten it up with cream and sugar. There are some coffee houses in SLC that have some great brews that require only one pack of sugar instead of two:

Three Pines
The Peoples Coffee
SLC Roasting Co.

These are a few close to my office that I like.

I usually buy a bag of beans from these guys and grind them myself. It's expensive, but I'm only a one cup of day guy so I don't burn through them very fast. I've also just bought the beans from the local grocery stores, like the Starbucks medium roast or Park City brand or whatever looks interesting. Some are better than others.

My favorite sweetener and creamer all in one at home is sweetened condensed milk; I put it into a squeezy bottle in the fridge. One to two teaspoons usually does it.

I've tried the cold brew/press thing, it's kind of a hassle and I can't really taste the diff from the Mr. Coffee machine ground beans I use and then put into the fridge to chill.

Here's a great combo I sometimes use when I'm not in the mood for straight joe: take a half cup of coffee and put Ovlaltine in it, then mix the other half with milk. Makes a pretty good latte.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:23 am

No Tof wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:40 pm
... in the beginning, I had to overcome the idea that it was somehow connected to the devil. :)
It is basically an unfounded rumor that coffee was in league with the devil. In reality, this stigma arose due to the coffee and tea plants growing in the demilitarized zone during the Heaven War. Because of this, they were thought to be neutral and their valiancy was questioned.

It should be noted that coffee and tea were not the only plants that grew in this demilitarized zone during the Heaven War. The same accusations of non-valiancy would arise if hot drinks were made with kale, quinoa, and rhubarb.

In truth, the only plants known to give direct aid to God's second son, Lucifer, were the liquorice and anise plants. It really made no sense to punish these plants since they knew not what they did, however, they too would be shunned if made into hot drinks.

Hope that helps.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:13 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:23 am
No Tof wrote:
... in the beginning, I had to overcome the idea that it was somehow connected to the devil. :)
It is basically an unfounded rumor that coffee was in league with the devil. In reality, this stigma arose due to the coffee and tea plants growing in the demilitarized zone during the Heaven War. Because of this, they were thought to be neutral and their valiancy was questioned.

It should be noted that coffee and tea were not the only plants that grew in this demilitarized zone during the Heaven War. The same accusations of non-valiancy would arise if hot drinks were made with kale, quinoa, and rhubarb.

In truth, the only plants known to give direct aid to God's second son, Lucifer, were the liquorice and anise plants. It really made no sense to punish these plants since they knew not what they did, however, they too would be shunned if made into hot drinks.

Hope that helps.
Liquorice is made into tea. But be careful with it because it raises blood pressure. I am on meds for high blood pressure, but the meds destabilize my blood pressure, and sometimes I dip to 60/40. Liquorice tea fixes the low blood pressure. So, perhaps liquorice hot drinks should be shunned. But it is yummy.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:54 pm

No Tof wrote:
... I also splurged for an Espro which will yield two cups for when a friend joins me...
Thanks a lot Tof...

I "thought" that my regular old French Press was good enough. Now I "need" an Espro press... :x
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:16 pm

alas wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:13 pm
So, perhaps liquorice hot drinks should be shunned. But it is yummy.
Most likely it is the lack of Heaven War valiancy that you are tasting. Black licorice, however, is good for treating eczema and scabies in cattle and oxen.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:28 am

I have lots of experimenting to do still, but vanilla iced coffee with milk from Starbucks has been my go to so far. Another great one is vanilla iced coffee from chick fil a. That stuff is so good, but pretty sweet. It may be a good first time drink.

I wish I could have a coffee machine in the house, but it would make the wife too uncomfortable at this point. She is very NOM, but still unsure where she lands with her beliefs exactly. I have to sneak instant when she is in the shower most of the time.

I am also still deciding if I want to become a regular coffee drinker. Part of me is tryin to get into it just because I never could before (and to shock the fam by being such a heathen).
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

alas

Post by alas » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:54 pm

My husband (who is still TBM) ordered some 100% Kona coffee for me for Christmas. It didn't make it before we had to leave to go be with family, and we just got back home. All he told me was there was a Christmas present in the mail that could not be delivered before we left home. So, today he hands me the package, then because it is whole beans, he drags me to the store for a grinder. So, I will try it tomorrow and return and report.

The grinder said it is also good for spices and herbs. Good! I no longer have to grind them in the Magic Mill wheat grinder. Herbs didn't go through well. See, there are advantages to being a coffee snob. You also get to grind your own herbs and spices.

alas

Post by alas » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:03 am

Kona coffee is less bad. It is not bitter and he was smart enough to buy me medium roast, so it is not burned tasting. Since those are the two main things that do taste in coffee, the Kona coffee is just sort of bland nasty rather than bitter burned nasty.

I am never going to like the stuff am I?

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:46 pm

alas wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:03 am
Kona coffee is less bad. It is not bitter and he was smart enough to buy me medium roast, so it is not burned tasting. Since those are the two main things that do taste in coffee, the Kona coffee is just sort of bland nasty rather than bitter burned nasty.

I am never going to like the stuff am I?
Coffee drinking is not a question on the apostate temple recommend. You are welcome to find more individually appealing ways to ignore the Word of Wisdom.

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:09 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:46 pm
Coffee drinking is not a question on the apostate temple recommend. You are welcome to find more individually appealing ways to ignore the Word of Wisdom.
Keep in mind that alas is doing this for her health:
alas wrote:I started trying coffee as a way of medicating ADD. I don't like the stuff, so I choke it down like nasty medicine. My husband can tell if I have taken my medicine and has been known to lose patience with me when my ADD has me bouncing off the walls, and good TBM that he is, he orders me to get some coffee.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

alas

Post by alas » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:24 pm

Jeffret wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:09 pm
Corsair wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:46 pm
Keep in mind that alas is doing this for her health:
alas wrote:I started trying coffee as a way of medicating ADD. I don't like the stuff, so I choke it down like nasty medicine. My husband can tell if I have taken my medicine and has been known to lose patience with me when my ADD has me bouncing off the walls, and good TBM that he is, he orders me to get some coffee.
Yes, this. I know I could talk to my doctor for a prescription. My daughter is on one that she says helps, but I am on several prescriptions already for diabetes, that adding more to have to juggle is not something I want. Several of the prescriptions can mess with blood sugars, so I am using coffee because it has more caffein, and less chemicals than Diet Coke. It helps enough that DH is very helpful with corrupting me. He bought me the first Kurig, when I had only said "maybe I should try coffee."