Prediction for next two apostles

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
oliver_denom

Prediction for next two apostles

Post by oliver_denom » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 am

Given the make-up of the new first presidency, then I'm predicting L. Whitney Clayton and Tad Callister.

There's literally no one else I think Oaks and Nelson would want to appoint more. These guys have been hatchet men for a decade, taking heat for every controversial task Nelson and Oaks gave them. It's reward time.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Mormorrisey

Re: Prediction for next two apostles

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:25 pm

That would be fantastic. But just as I called Rasband, I'll call Clayton as the shoo-in. Callister or Robbins would be the icing on the cake, but they might shake it up and call a non-lawyer white dude from Utah as the other one. Not one from a different "flavour" to quote Nelson, but a non-"standard" white guy. Maybe from Canada or Australia. Can't make it TOO diverse.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:06 pm

I'll stick with my prediction in another thread:

Two, old, rich white guys.

:?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:32 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:06 pm
Two, old, rich white guys.
If they weren't old, rich, and white when they are called they will be by the time they're dead.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Emower

Post by Emower » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:26 am

I am thinking Gong will be one of them.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:13 am

oliver_denom wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 am
Given the make-up of the new first presidency, then I'm predicting L. Whitney Clayton and Tad Callister.

There's literally no one else I think Oaks and Nelson would want to appoint more. These guys have been hatchet men for a decade, taking heat for every controversial task Nelson and Oaks gave them. It's reward time.
Tad R. Callister is 72 and Whitney Clayton is 67. I can shrug and accept that these are very likely candidates. But both of these men are older that Dave Bednar (age 65). So neither one has a firm shot at becoming prophet. If Nelson really wants to secure a legacy, he will need to select someone younger than his wife. Wendy is 67 and is also older than Dave Bednar.
Last edited by Corsair on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:58 am

Corsair wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:13 am
oliver_denom wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 am

Tad R. Callister is 72 and Whitney Clayton is 67. I can shrug and accept that these are very likely candidates. But both of these men are older that Dave Bednar (age 65). So neither one has a firm shot at becoming prophet. If Nelson really wants to secure a legacy, he will need to select someone younger than his wife. Wendy is 67 and is also younger than Dave Bednar.
It will be a test of legacy verses loyalty. Luckily for Nelson, he can probably split the difference and do both by choosing one who is due and one who is young.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:16 am

Corsair wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:13 am
If Nelson really wants to secure a legacy, he will need to select someone younger than his wife.
Are there any notable candidates, who embody the social and political ideals of Oaks and Nelson, and in the 55-62 age range?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:53 am

I'm hoping for Elder Joaquin E. Costa. He seems to be sympathetic to the LGBT+ community. (Which is probably why he won't be chosen)

I liked reading this about him:
https://nerdygaymormon.tumblr.com/post/ ... ys-general

He seems kind of Uchtdorf-esqe too. (Which is, again, probably why he won't be chosen)
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:01 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:16 am
Are there any notable candidates, who embody the social and political ideals of Oaks and Nelson, and in the 55-62 age range?
Probably hundreds, if not thousands. Unfortunately, we don't have access to the software application that the GA's use to vet potential new members of the board of directors.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:20 pm

Right before they announced the new apostles in conference last time I told my TBM wife "I bet Rasband will be called". Right after that Rasband's name was mentioned. She was kind of freaked out.

I would like to do that again. I think I will go with Clayton...
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:55 am

I too think it will be Whitney and Tad.
~2bizE

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:15 am

Mormorrisey wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:25 pm
That would be fantastic. But just as I called Rasband, I'll call Clayton as the shoo-in. Callister or Robbins would be the icing on the cake, but they might shake it up and call a non-lawyer white dude from Utah as the other one. Not one from a different "flavour" to quote Nelson, but a non-"standard" white guy. Maybe from Canada or Australia. Can't make it TOO diverse.
I've really been seeing a hard push in conservative culture against the idea that diversity is a value. There's a combination of this with the false belief that diversity means hiring based on some criteria other than merit. It's not even spoken anymore, but a reflex that when a representative of any minority group earns a high ranking position. It's a reflex that both Oaks and Nelson appear to have, but that's only from what leaks out to the public.

For all I know they are the complete opposite. However, it would not surprise me a bit if they held these beliefs and intentionally steer away from anyone who has even the appearance of "a diversity hire". If I were to speculate, then I think you'd need to get to someone like Holland before this sort of prejudice isn't at play.